ADVERTISEMENT

Hey @fair, (Button Gwinnett's biggest fan) ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
@fairgambit, several times in response to my annual July 4th post of the Declaration of Independence, you've commented about the signer who you thought had the best name -- Button Gwinnett.

In that context, I thought you might enjoy that yesterday (2/20) was an anniversary of something/someone that had a big impact on the life of Button:

Thanks Tom. Although Button did help bring about his own demise by challenging McIntosh to a duel after the latter called dear Button "a scoundrel and lying rascal", it could be argued McIntosh was a bad apple.

As an aside, inspired by an article about a family that visited all of the known gravesites of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, my wife and I have, on our mutual bucket list, an attempt to do the same (or as many as we reasonably can). There is a bit of a problem with Button though. The question is "Where lie the bones of Button Gwinnett"?
http://cemeterymixtape.com/2018/07/06/the-bones-of-button-gwinnett/
We do intend to visit his memorial though, and it shall, no doubt, be the singular moment of our quest.

Last edited:
What if this board simply resorted to duels every time a poster got butt(on) hurt?

This might be the result.
e09f5aeed005259df2ffdb95ffcdd57c.gif

Math word problems are the way to go. Less bloody than duels but more often than not they result in a similar sort of painful death.
At 10:45 AM a train with one conductor and six passengers leaves Phoenix and travels northeast at 45 MPH. At it's first 10 minute stop at 12:13 PM, one man gets off and two men and one woman gets on ...

From an Auctioneer in 2017:
Button Gwinnett Autograph
If you are involved in our hobby of autograph collecting, you might already know that the most valuable autograph is the Button Gwinnett autograph. Gwinnett, from Georgia, signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, as you also probably know, but did you know that he didn’t even live to see the first anniversary of the DOI, passing away from wounds from losing a duel on May 19, 1777.

Here are two actual recent prices realized for a Button Gwinnett autograph:

In 2017, a Button Gwinnett autograph sold for just shy of $325,000

In 2010, a Button Gwinnett autograph on a letter from July 1776 sold for $600,000. We estimate that this autograph would sell for around one million dollars today.

m-2639.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
If you are involved in our hobby of autograph collecting, you might already know that the most valuable autograph is the Button Gwinnett autograph. Gwinnett, from Georgia, signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, as you also probably know, but did you know that he didn’t even live to see the first anniversary of the DOI, passing away from wounds from losing a duel on May 19, 1777.

In 2010, a Button Gwinnett autograph on a letter from July 1776 sold for $600,000. We estimate that this autograph would sell for around one million dollars today.

m-2639.jpg

I have three of his autographs!

Bought them just the other day at Walmart!

;)

m-2639.jpg

Hey fair, looking at jobs in Gwinnette county Georgia right now.

I kid you not sir.

Reactions: fairgambit
Hey fair, looking at jobs in Gwinnette county Georgia right now.

I kid you not sir.
If you take the job you will be a short day trip from Button's burial place in Savannah. You may get to pay your respects to him before I do. Good luck with your job search. This thread may be a good omen!

At 10:45 AM a train with one conductor and six passengers leaves Phoenix and travels northeast at 45 MPH. At it's first 10 minute stop at 12:13 PM, one man gets off and two men and one woman gets on ...
If my entrance exam into heaven starts like that, then I am looking for the chute that goes straight to hell and I am jumping in headfirst because I have never gotten the correct answer in 72 years.

Reactions: brupsu
If you take the job you will be a short day trip from Button's burial place in Savannah. You may get to pay your respects to him before I do. Good luck with your job search. This thread may be a good omen!

Well, having already lived in Savannah - and having not the best experience, I will tread cautiously sir.

The rest of Georgia looks tempting.

Positive thoughts going forward.

Reactions: fairgambit
Well, having already lived in Savannah - and having not the best experience, I will tread cautiously sir.

The rest of Georgia looks tempting.

Positive thoughts going forward.
Please elaborate on Savannah. I’m just curious about that area.

Please elaborate on Savannah. I’m just curious about that area.

The are certain areas I simply would advise you to stay out of....I worked in probably the lowest of low economic areas for a time. No meetings, etc were to go past 6:30 pm. And, my place of employment WAS located on the 'other side' of the tracks believe me.

The downtown area has and is still experiencing a revitaliziation. Housind prices going up, up, up as a result.

I thank you Mr. McAndrew. I can never get enough of Button Gwinnett.
By the way, I recently temporarily changed my avatar from Thomas More to Edmund Burke. Sir/St. Thomas is on vacation in Chelsea until September. However, your post has led me to consider giving Button a week or two in an effort to pull dear Button out of obscurity and into the mainstream of honored American Founding Fathers.

@fairgambit, several times in response to my annual July 4th post of the Declaration of Independence, you've commented about the signer who you thought had the best name -- Button Gwinnett.

In that context, I thought you might enjoy that yesterday (2/20) was an anniversary of something/someone that had a big impact on the life of Button:

Button died. Aw snap!

ADVERTISEMENT