ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what a 12 team CFB Playoff would look like today....

MLB used to be like that but there is simply too much money in keeping a bunch of losers alive in the "playoff" hunt. That's true now for all sports. Wildcards have nothing to do with finding the best team. They're all about the Benjamin's. If team A beats team B in a conference championship game they shouldn't have to do it again in a so called "playoff". It's not a playoff. It's an invitational designed to make the most money it can. That's fine but don't call it a playoff to find the best team.
Why shouldn't they have to do it again? In every other sport you do. The best team doesn't always win--rematches are often great.
I don't understand why so many people here aren't willing to move forward. We all know where the sport is going and a 12 team playoff is just step one. As you said, there's too much money in it to not expand it. A 24 team playoff this year would be amazing. We'd likely have a home game and if we won that a chance to play a top 8 team to advance instead of "hoping" to play a G5 team or an ACC team in a scrimmage
For the record, MLB is the only sport I believe should only consists of division winners because they play 162 games. FBS isn't that. Teams play 12 and half of those games are usually a joke. Like we schedule Nevada is 2025--wonderful, exciting...

Don't stop him now. He's on a roll.

But it's silly as Playoffs are ALWAYS based on the end of season results, nor any random "day" within the season. Therefore it's nonsensical to say that this is what the playoff would look like if it was held this SEASON (which is what the author is attempting to imply). BTW jackass, he is not basing it on "today's" rankings as scUM is listed as a 5 seed, USC a 4 seed and Tennessee a 6 seed.

The joke this year is a 2 loss LSU Team
In the the playoff discussion - PSU lost to 2 better team than LSU did but we aren’t close to being in the hunt.

…Until there are only automatic qualifiers, for example only conference WINNERS, it will never be a true playoff. No wildcards allowed.
So you propose to make OOC games literally meaningless. It is national championship so all games played in the nation should count.
Seems to me you should actually win something to be in a so called playoff.
Find it ironic that people that want to expand the format to more and more teams would be providing opportunities to teams that actually win less and less on the field.

But then to pull the “should actually win something”. Just win your games regardless of conference affiliation.

In the the playoff discussion - PSU lost to 2 better team than LSU did but we aren’t close to being in the hunt.

Agreed. One of their losses was a 40-13 pasting to 1-loss Tenn and the other was to a really mediocre 3-loss FSU team. Just utterly laughable that LSU is #6 in front of both 1-loss USC and Clemson.

This is beyond horrible and idiotic. The playoff itself is simply unnecessary when the old bowl system performed well (at least compared to every two bit scheme since). If a playoff is to remain, there should be massive realignment into four conferences with their championship game being the first round. That is it. No at large bids. No byes.
Every day is opposite day when you are Wallace Breen

So you propose to make OOC games literally meaningless. It is national championship so all games played in the nation should count.

Find it ironic that people that want to expand the format to more and more teams would be providing opportunities to teams that actually win less and less on the field.

But then to pull the “should actually win something”. Just win your games regardless of conference affiliation.
OOC games can contribute to a team's ranking which can be used for seeding in a real playoff.

I don't want more teams. I hope I didn't give that impression. For me I wish there were 8 conferences whose winners feed into a real playoff. That way, every game during the season is essentially part of the playoff. Never going to happen because money drives the need to include more teams. Losers.

Reactions: hlstone
For those that think lesser leagues, like the MAC, champion should be included.

Right now, the leader in the MAC East is Ohio University at 6-1 in the conference. They play Bowling Green Tuesday night and the winner will probably go to the MAC championship versus the 5-2 west championship rep Toledo (who clinched).

Just to be clear, Ohio is the same Ohio we beat 46-10. (and we don't have a shot to win the championship playoff if it were played this season).

Reactions: psu00
The FCS playoff does not include 3 leagues so I guess their playoff is tainted.

Why shouldn't they have to do it again? In every other sport you do. The best team doesn't always win--rematches are often great.
I don't understand why so many people here aren't willing to move forward. We all know where the sport is going and a 12 team playoff is just step one. As you said, there's too much money in it to not expand it. A 24 team playoff this year would be amazing. We'd likely have a home game and if we won that a chance to play a top 8 team to advance instead of "hoping" to play a G5 team or an ACC team in a scrimmage
For the record, MLB is the only sport I believe should only consists of division winners because they play 162 games. FBS isn't that. Teams play 12 and half of those games are usually a joke. Like we schedule Nevada is 2025--wonderful, exciting...
A 24-team playoff would be just about the worst possible thing to happen to college football that I could ever imagine. Great way to devalue the best regular season in sports.

This is an annual dilemma with the subjective committee and is an example of why it needs to be taken behind the barn. Which do you give more weight to, who you've beaten or who you've lost to? The committee flips back and forth at will, based on whichever supports their desired narrative.

To be perfectly blunt, there is no way that a committee or group of fans can accurately identify the 4 best teams in the sport based on the current conference and scheduling structure. It's an impossible task, so it becomes a joke of a process. The only way to fix it is to break it into smaller pieces (conferences) where teams play more head-to-head and can more accurately be compared, then take the champ of each and let them settle it on the field.

Last edited:
This is an annual dilemma with the subjective committee and is an example of why it needs to be taken behind the barn. Which do you give more weight to, who you've beaten or who you've lost to? The committee flips back and forth at will, based on whichever supports their desired narrative.

To be perfectly blunt, there is no way that a committee or group of fans can accurately identify the 4 best teams in the sport based on the current conference and scheduling structure. It's an impossible task, so it becomes a joke of a process. The only way to fix it is to break it into smaller pieces (conferences) where teams play more head-to-head and can more accurately be compared, then take the champ of each and let them settle it on the field.
So which year in the playoff era did the best team not win or get left out of the final 4 altogether

A 24-team playoff would be just about the worst possible thing to happen to college football that I could ever imagine. Great way to devalue the best regular season in sports.
I'm sorry but the regular season isn't the best in sports. Most games have little to no real meaning. I'll watch almost any game but I'd watch far more in November if the games meant anything

Last edited:
So which year in the playoff era did the best team not win or get left out of the final 4 altogether
Arguably in 2016 USC. Both Penn State and USC could have challenged anyone in that playoff that year. 2016 is the perfect example of a team that struggled early that continually improved.

For those that think lesser leagues, like the MAC, champion should be included.

Right now, the leader in the MAC East is Ohio University at 6-1 in the conference. They play Bowling Green Tuesday night and the winner will probably go to the MAC championship versus the 5-2 west championship rep Toledo (who clinched).

Just to be clear, Ohio is the same Ohio we beat 46-10. (and we don't have a shot to win the championship playoff if it were played this season).
Still give them a shot if they're going to be in FBS.

Reactions: johnmpsu
I said I don't think it's possible to subjectively identify the best teams under the current structure and your response was to ask me to subjectively identify the best team from a given year?

I said I don't think it's possible to subjectively identify the best teams under the current structure and your response was to ask me to subjectively identify the best team from a given year?

People said the same thing when it was only the top 2. But the 3 and 4 seed have won on a regular basis.

Arguably in 2016 USC.
Not by a reasonable person.
Both Penn State and USC could have challenged anyone in that playoff that year. 2016 is the perfect example of a team that struggled early that continually improved.
Or one could say fattened their record against less than stellar in conference opponinents.

The 3 losses by each team displays their lack of a legitimate claim at anything close to being the most successful team in the nation.

Bama 52 USC 6, ridiculous

OOC games can contribute to a team's ranking which can be used for seeding in a real playoff.
Your “real” description is really just a quota filler.
I don't want more teams. I hope I didn't give that impression. For me I wish there were 8 conferences whose winners feed into a real playoff.
This idea of 8 requires complete restructuring of cfb alignments that is really a waste of time until the conferences show an interest in this subject.
That way, every game during the season is essentially part of the playoff.
No it isn’t. You made OOC games literally meaningless in regards to making a playoff. That is 4 out of 12 games for many teams, a whopping 33% of games. Explain why they should be played and then the whole potential sitting out games can of worms.

Imagine if Tenn had beaten UGA this year. You would be supporting that 2-loss UO should be very much alive for a spot while 1-loss UGA who spanked the crap out of UO wouldn’t.

Or even Tenn and LSU. Again, 1-loss team spanks 2-loss team and this time on their turf. But, luck of division draw and LSU would still be alive.

In you quest to guarantee some “equitable” guarantee, you potentially make things completely unfair with any common sense thought.

Reward success, not quotas.

Your “real” description is really just a quota filler.

This idea of 8 requires complete restructuring of cfb alignments that is really a waste of time until the conferences show an interest in this subject.

No it isn’t. You made OOC games literally meaningless in regards to making a playoff. That is 4 out of 12 games for many teams, a whopping 33% of games. Explain why they should be played and then the whole potential sitting out games can of worms.

Imagine if Tenn had beaten UGA this year. You would be supporting that 2-loss UO should be very much alive for a spot while 1-loss UGA who spanked the crap out of UO wouldn’t.

Or even Tenn and LSU. Again, 1-loss team spanks 2-loss team and this time on their turf. But, luck of division draw and LSU would still be alive.

In you quest to guarantee some “equitable” guarantee, you potentially make things completely unfair with any common sense thought.

Reward success, not quotas.
I stand by my opinion that until there are guaranteed entries, preferably winners, it's nothing more than an invitational and gives the so called "national champion" no more credibility than before the so called playoff. You are free to disagree.

PS WINNING is not a quota.

I stand by my opinion that until there are guaranteed entries, preferably winners, it's nothing more than an invitational and gives the so called "national champion" no more credibility than before the so called playoff. You are free to disagree.

PS WINNING is not a quota.
As much as you repeat “winner”, your method doesn’t necessarily reward the actual winners of games.

And 9-1 Tenn is winning way better and more often than 8-2 LSU. Yet you insist LSU would be more worthy of being rewarded with the theoretical opportunity.

Explain why besides a quota.

As much as you repeat “winner”, your method doesn’t necessarily reward the actual winners of games.

And 9-1 Tenn is winning way better and more often than 8-2 LSU. Yet you insist LSU would be more worthy of being rewarded with the theoretical opportunity.

Explain why besides a quota.
The winner of the SEC should qualify for the playoff. Period.

Or one could say fattened their record against less than stellar in conference opponinents.

The 3 losses by each team displays their lack of a legitimate claim at anything close to being the most successful team in the nation.

It's not true at all--you clearly don't follow college football on a national level

I'm sorry but the regular season isn't the best in sports. Most games have little to no real meaning. I'll watch almost any game but I'd watch far more in November if the games meant anything
Well that goes against not just my opinion but the majority of sports talking heads in this country. If you think regular season games aren't meaningful now, wait until it's ok for you to lose 2 or 3 of them and still get into a playoff.

People said the same thing when it was only the top 2. But the 3 and 4 seed have won on a regular basis.
I think someone other than the 1 or 2 seed has won once. Proving that you can subjectively pick the best teams.

Agreed, USC didn't belong in a playoff. We lost to Pitt and got destroyed by UM, thereby making the regular season and those wins and losses meaningful. We didn't deserve it despite beating OSU at home.

I think someone other than the 1 or 2 seed has won once. Proving that you can subjectively pick the best teams.
Complete horseshit - 4 Seed duhO$U won in 2014, 4 Seed Alabama won in 2017 and 3 Seed Georgia won last year. That's 38% of the games - how do you figure that's not significant?

Well that goes against not just my opinion but the majority of sports talking heads in this country. If you think regular season games aren't meaningful now, wait until it's ok for you to lose 2 or 3 of them and still get into a playoff.
How do you not realize that makes more games meaningful? Not less--more.

Seeding is minimal vs in or out
How many other teams are fighting for a spot.
I honestly don't understand how you can't accept that a larger playoff field creates more meaningful games simply using math. If 12 teams (or ideally 24) make the playoffs bye are huge and there's a ton of team fighting for a playoff spot today and next week as opposed to 8 teams still being alive.

How many other teams are fighting for a spot.
I honestly don't understand how you can't accept that a larger playoff field creates more meaningful games simply using math. If 12 teams (or ideally 24) make the playoffs bye are huge and there's a ton of team fighting for a playoff spot today and next week as opposed to 8 teams still being alive.
Not at all. It's the same number fighting for the last spots. Only with 12 it's less important teams.

Not at all. It's the same number fighting for the last spots. Only with 12 it's less important teams.
What do you mean "less important"?
And it's not the same number--especially once they finally copy FCS and go to 24.
I don't understand why people are so unwilling to adjust to change
You keep talking about the importance of a handful of games but everyone else is irrelevant--how does that make for a great regular season?
We also need to get rid of these cupcake games like we see the SEC playing today and us playing the MAC.

It is funny that so many support a National Championship tournament that excludes half of the teams that play. Excluding the Sun Belt, Mountain West, Mid-American, Conference USA, American Athletic and the Independents in nay tournament devalues it in my book. Every team needs to have a path and right now it simply is not possible.

CFB is still a poll-based system, so it remains the home of the Mythical National Championship.

Take the ten champs and two at-larger and have a twelve-team format with the top four getting byes.
In theory a bye week at the end of the year should be an advantage to heal and rest while others grind and possibly suffer injuries.

However- given how consistently shitty we have been coming off of regular season bye weeks- year in and out- I wonder if it would be good or bad for us????

Would we rather be the #5 seed to top 4? With our current head coach my gut is yes....

Reactions: psu00 and hlstone
Today UM vs IL is meaningful. 12 Team playoff, meaningless. It's really simple.
And yesterday PSU vs. Rutgers was meaningless in terms of the 4 team playoff, but it would have been meaningful in a 12 team playoff.

Then why play the playoffs at all? Let's let the committee pick the best team and award the title if you think they can do it so accurately. The subjective stuff devalues the single most important thing in sports, the actual competition on the field. I don't really care if 2 loss team takes a playoff spot from a 1 loss team that everyone thinks is better if that 2 loss team beat the "better" team on the field. That means on the day when it mattered most, the "better" team wasn't better. Tough cookies, better luck next year. This is how sports and playoffs work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT