ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what a 12 team CFB Playoff would look like today....

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Here’s a quick 12-team playoff format refresher: The top four seeds will be given to the top four conference champions. The final eight teams in the field will include the fifth Power 5 conference champion and the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion, along with six at-large teams.

FhtnNAOXgAEXaLT

Last edited:
This is beyond horrible and idiotic. The playoff itself is simply unnecessary when the old bowl system performed well (at least compared to every two bit scheme since). If a playoff is to remain, there should be massive realignment into four conferences with their championship game being the first round. That is it. No at large bids. No byes.

Ahh, the 1-4 got updated, but now the “play-in” games need switched to line up with the 2 & 4 seeds.

Reactions: bison13
Here’s a quick 12-team playoff format refresher: The top four seeds will be given to the top four conference champions. The final eight teams in the field will include the fifth Power 5 conference champion and the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion, along with six at-large teams.

FhtnNAOXgAEXaLT

Additionally, the bracket seedings would be based on the Final CFP Rankings for the season not the rankings 2 weeks before the Regular Season ends.... multiple weeks before the Final CFP Ranking which isn't published until after the CCGs are played. So this is really not, in fact, what a 12-team playoff would look like this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: wilbury
This is beyond horrible and idiotic. The playoff itself is simply unnecessary when the old bowl system performed well (at least compared to every two bit scheme since). If a playoff is to remain, there should be massive realignment into four conferences with their championship game being the first round. That is it. No at large bids. No byes.
The bowl system never worked. Ever.
This is infinitely better than what we have. Hopefully it doubles within the next 8 years

Absolutely correct. The bowl system really worked wonders in 1994. A perfect system. :rolleyes:

The bowl system could have been improved with the "+1" format that was floated around for a while but never put in place. My biggest complaint with the playoff is that we still have the subjective committee / voting nonsense, and that it has completely devalued all bowl games outside of the playoffs. I want at least some teams to have an objective path to the postseason. I feel that should be the P5 conference champions, they should all get an automatic bid. That removes subjectivity from what is likely, but not guaranteed, to include at least a handful of the best teams in the country. My preference would then to expand to 8 teams with 3 at large bids to the 3 that win the subjective dog and pony show, with perhaps 1 spot reserved for the best G5 team, to ensure that any of the top teams that don't win their conference still have a way in.

The one problem I don't know how to solve is seeding. Given the huge scheduling discrepancies CFB can't seed based on win percentage, so the dog and pony show goes on. Ideally I'd like to see mandated scheduling rules for all teams (all play same # of conf games, P5 non-conf opponents, limits to FCS opponents, etc.) so there is more consistency and teams can be more accurately seeded, but we are a long way off from that and it still can't be perfect with 130 teams and so many conferences.

The knock on a big playoff field was always that it devalues the regular season, which is one of the things that historically makes CFB great. If you reward the top seeds with home games or byes in the playoffs, this protects the integrity of the regular season to an extent, but if we get about 12 teams I think the regular season will really start to suffer.

Reactions: Strick73
The knock on a big playoff field was always that it devalues the regular season, which is one of the things that historically makes CFB great. If you reward the top seeds with home games or byes in the playoffs, this protects the integrity of the regular season to an extent, but if we get about 12 teams I think the regular season will really start to suffer.
But how many games currently have no value? There's 6-8 teams right now with a realistic shot at making the playoffs. Everyone else is playing for pride or playing spoiler. It has meaning to a ton of games. It would make us root for teams like Purdue, Minnesota and Auburn plus root for Ohio to win the MAC. Georgia-Tennessee might be devalued some but if both make the playoffs it already was. Same with Ohio State-Michigan.

That said, all games should be at the higher seed until the title game. That adds back any meaning that could be perceived to have been lost.

The bowl system could have been improved with the "+1" format that was floated around for a while but never put in place. My biggest complaint with the playoff is that we still have the subjective committee / voting nonsense, and that it has completely devalued all bowl games outside of the playoffs. I want at least some teams to have an objective path to the postseason. I feel that should be the P5 conference champions, they should all get an automatic bid. That removes subjectivity from what is likely, but not guaranteed, to include at least a handful of the best teams in the country. My preference would then to expand to 8 teams with 3 at large bids to the 3 that win the subjective dog and pony show, with perhaps 1 spot reserved for the best G5 team, to ensure that any of the top teams that don't win their conference still have a way in.

The one problem I don't know how to solve is seeding. Given the huge scheduling discrepancies CFB can't seed based on win percentage, so the dog and pony show goes on. Ideally I'd like to see mandated scheduling rules for all teams (all play same # of conf games, P5 non-conf opponents, limits to FCS opponents, etc.) so there is more consistency and teams can be more accurately seeded, but we are a long way off from that and it still can't be perfect with 130 teams and so many conferences.

I like 8 teams. Anyone not in the top 8 has no realistic claim. 8 teams, then 4, then two, then 1. Three weeks.

The 12 seems weird in the top four getting a bye week. It adds two weeks, doesn't add teams that have earned the right and they bye week seems weird (not sure if its good or bad to have a bye week). it seems like it adds a lot of complexity for nothing.

Each power conference gets a team, guaranteed. Then you have a handful of "at large" teams in case you get a team that goes undefeated and blows the conference championship game on three turnovers or something. You win the conf championship so nobody can complain that they weren't included (win your damn conference and you'll get in). You get a handful of at - large conferences to give arbitrary teams a shot (those years when a conf USA team is really really good). and you get three great weekends of college football.

It is funny that so many support a National Championship tournament that excludes half of the teams that play. Excluding the Sun Belt, Mountain West, Mid-American, Conference USA, American Athletic and the Independents in nay tournament devalues it in my book. Every team needs to have a path and right now it simply is not possible.

CFB is still a poll-based system, so it remains the home of the Mythical National Championship.

Take the ten champs and two at-larger and have a twelve-team format with the top four getting byes.

I like 8 teams. Anyone not in the top 8 has no realistic claim. 8 teams, then 4, then two, then 1. Three weeks.

The 12 seems weird in the top four getting a bye week. It adds two weeks, doesn't add teams that have earned the right and they bye week seems weird (not sure if its good or bad to have a bye week). it seems like it adds a lot of complexity for nothing.

Each power conference gets a team, guaranteed. Then you have a handful of "at large" teams in case you get a team that goes undefeated and blows the conference championship game on three turnovers or something. You win the conf championship so nobody can complain that they weren't included (win your damn conference and you'll get in). You get a handful of at - large conferences to give arbitrary teams a shot (those years when a conf USA team is really really good). and you get three great weekends of college football.
There's 10 conferences--why are you only including the P5--if you want to do this then split FBS into 2 league with separate playoffs. As it is, this doesn't work nor does 12 teams--we'll see continued expansion. It will just take longer than it should

It is funny that so many support a National Championship tournament that excludes half of the teams that play. Excluding the Sun Belt, Mountain West, Mid-American, Conference USA, American Athletic and the Independents in nay tournament devalues it in my book. Every team needs to have a path and right now it simply is not possible.

CFB is still a poll-based system, so it remains the home of the Mythical National Championship.

Take the ten champs and two at-larger and have a twelve-team format with the top four getting byes.
That's not enough team with 10 auto spots. You need 16 20 or 24.

This would definitely bring way more interest into the post season in CFB - now outside of the few playoff games no one really cares anymore.

those conferences have zero shot at winning a national championship. Those games are a waste of time and, worse, risk a good player from a good team getting hurt for real games down the road.

Reactions: wilbury
I'm for leaving the playoffs to 4 teams. That's enough. Concern about numbers 5 and 6 bitching why they didn't make it? If you have a 12 team playoff, numbers 13 and 14 will be bitching. Same thing! Further, I strongly believe that teams ranked 10th or 11th or 12th......or teams with 3 losses..... shouldn't be participating in any national championship playoff.

Reactions: Mufasa94

I wouldn't be opposed to a system where every conference champ gets in either. It would still be less subjective that what we have now which is the part that drives me insane. I just don't know that it's a realistic option since the committee clearly doesn't value the G5 conferences, I see little appetite to bring them all into a playoff. There's little doubt those teams play a weaker schedule though, but you can only play who's on your schedule and there's always something to be said for going undefeated regardless. A G5 team could dominate their schedule but never even get a chance to prove they are on a P5 level because they might not play any P5 teams. However I do think there's a huge difference between winning 1-2 P5 games in a season vs. grinding out a full slate of 10+ P5 opponents.

I wouldn't be opposed to a system where every conference champ gets in either. It would still be less subjective that what we have now which is the part that drives me insane. I just don't know that it's a realistic option since the committee clearly doesn't value the G5 conferences, I see little appetite to bring them all into a playoff. There's little doubt those teams play a weaker schedule though, but you can only play who's on your schedule and there's always something to be said for going undefeated regardless. A G5 team could dominate their schedule but never even get a chance to prove they are on a P5 level because they might not play any P5 teams. However I do think there's a huge difference between winning 1-2 P5 games in a season vs. grinding out a full slate of 10+ P5 opponents.
Totally agree. It isn't the same. I just don't know how you can have a championship where every team doesn't have a chance to control their own destiny on day one of the season. If you do not consider them of value change their designation. Create a third Div 1 by dividing by 85 full scholarships and 63 equivalency scholarships. It is crazy to know that no matter what happens if you play at Tulane, you can never play for a championship.

It's not a College Football PLAYOFF (CFP).
It's a College Football INVITATIONAL (CFI).

Until there are only automatic qualifiers, for example only conference WINNERS, it will never be a true playoff. No wildcards allowed. Seems to me you should actually win something to be in a so called playoff.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
I'm for leaving the playoffs to 4 teams. That's enough. Concern about numbers 5 and 6 bitching why they didn't make it? If you have a 12 team playoff, numbers 13 and 14 will be bitching. Same thing! Further, I strongly believe that teams ranked 10th or 11th or 12th......or teams with 3 losses..... shouldn't be participating in any national championship playoff.

4 teams is not a "playoff" in structure - it is a 4-Team Invitational based on subjective rankings (i.e., "opinion").

It's not a College Football PLAYOFF (CFP).
It's a College Football INVITATIONAL (CFI).

Until there are only automatic qualifiers, for example only conference WINNERS, it will never be a true playoff. No wildcards allowed. Seems to me you should actually win something to be in a so called playoff.
Name a sport where that happens

Where what happens, only automatic qualifiers? I don't think his point is that literal. Every other major US sport has predetermined playoff criteria, teams know what they need to do from the very beginning of the season. CFB is a clear outlier with this subjective nonsense. The challenge is they also have far more teams than most sports and no single governing body to control the sport.

Additionally, the bracket seedings would be based on the Final CFP Rankings for the season not the rankings 2 weeks before the Regular Season ends.... multiple weeks before the Final CFP Ranking which isn't published until after the CCGs are played. So this is really not, in fact, what a 12-team playoff would look like this year.

Which is why it says what the playoffs would look like today in the title. The key word is today.

Where what happens, only automatic qualifiers? I don't think his point is that literal. Every other major US sport has predetermined playoff criteria, teams know what they need to do from the very beginning of the season. CFB is a clear outlier with this subjective nonsense. The challenge is they also have far more teams than most sports and no single governing body to control the sport.

The other thing is that even the P5 Conference Champions records are not directly comparable. The 2 or even 3 best teams in the nation could potentially reside in the same Conference - it happens all the time in sports that have actual playoffs.

No it isn't--almost all college sports use this set up--volleyball, basketball, hockey, baseball, softball, etc.
He was being literal--he only wants auto qualifiers--many on this board idiotically want that

In what world do we have a "season of meaningful games"?

You don't think this weekend's matchup with Rutgers has meaning? They're going to chant **** Penn State like they do every game, but this time Penn State will actually be in the building to hear it... That means something.

• Haha
Reactions: Bob2022
MLB used to be like that but there is simply too much money in keeping a bunch of losers alive in the "playoff" hunt. That's true now for all sports. Wildcards have nothing to do with finding the best team. They're all about the Benjamin's. If team A beats team B in a conference championship game they shouldn't have to do it again in a so called "playoff". It's not a playoff. It's an invitational designed to make the most money it can. That's fine but don't call it a playoff to find the best team.

You don't think this weekend's matchup with Rutgers has meaning? They're going to chant **** Penn State like they do every game, but this time Penn State will actually be in the building to hear it... That means something.
No "real" meaning--goes to pride and nothing else

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT