Defensive Line: Courtney Brown, Mike Reid, Tim Johnson, Tamba Hali
Linebackers: Lavar Arrington, Paul Posluzny, Jack Ham
Corners: Darren Perry; Neal Smith
Safeties: Mark Robinson, Kim Herring

Iirc Darren Perry and Neal smith both were safeties.
Neil Hutton would be a better choice there

Dennis Onkotz in place of Lavar, Bruce Clark in place of Johnson

Concur on Clark.

But Lavar belongs on the Penn State Mount Rushmore, IMO. Of course, an argument can be made for about 4-5 other LBs, so you can't really go wrong.

Concur on Clark.

But Lavar belongs on the Penn State Mount Rushmore, IMO. Of course, an argument can be made for about 4-5 other LBs, so you can't really go wrong.
my reasoning was with those three you'd have an LB corps with both physical ability and the smarts/discipline to maximize that ability

LaVar was a phenom no doubt, but his undisciplined play had him out of position too often

Reactions: FHSPSU67

IMHO Clark bumps T.Johnson, although Johnson would be the next man up at DT. At LB Shane Conlan bumps Poz. Actually N. Bowman would bump Poz. At CB I like Justin King and Paul Langford (spelling ?). A. Amos would bump Herring. Good list though.

Reactions: GregInPitt
IMHO Clark bumps T.Johnson, although Johnson would be the next man up at DT. At LB Shane Conlan bumps Poz. Actually N. Bowman would bump Poz. At CB I like Justin King and Paul Langford (spelling ?). A. Amos would bump Herring. Good list though.

Bruce Clark (2 time AA) was the most dominant Dlinemen I have seen play at PSU going back to the mid-60's. Mike Reid the most consistent and fundamentally sound. I like Brown and Hali at DE, but Nassib the one year wonder and former walkon was pretty dominant in his last year at PSU - just a late bloomer.

At LB I like Ham, LA and Conlan, with Onkonz (2 time AA) right there as well. Although we have also been spoiled the last 15 years with Poz (2 time AA), Connor (2 time AA), S.Lee,.....

In the secondary PSU has not had many players recognized as All-Americans. Pete Harris is one that was but his huge INT year can at least partially be attributed to Clark and Millen allowing opposing QB's about 0.5 seconds to get rid of the ball or risk being flattened like a pancake..... So I also like Robinson and Herring at Safety. Hard to pick out CB's that really stand out over all the others. But Bryan Scott would be a good pick for one of them.

Dennis Onkotz defended the run and the pass equally well and was one of the top punt returners that ever played at PSU.

Neal Smith was the best pass defender that ever played Safety at PSU.....by far. Ten interceptions in 1969.....19 in his career.

You guys forget Bruce Bannon at DE. Great player. On the whole, our three best LBs were Dennis Onkotz, Jack Ham and Micah Parsons. Mike Reid belongs on any all-time team. Also, I don’t people realize what a great player Mark Robinson was. Great defender and Devastating tackler.

No mentions of the guy that I believe is still our only player to be First Team All-Big Ten three times (and I’ve found to be probably the most underrated as we look back at our past 30 years).

Reactions: We Are . . .
You guys forget Bruce Bannon at DE. Great player. On the whole, our three best LBs were Dennis Onkotz, Jack Ham and Micah Parsons. Mike Reid belongs on any all-time team. Also, I don’t people realize what a great player Mark Robinson was. Great defender and Devastating tackler.

I believe Bruce was the defensive MVP of that great Cotton Bowl thumping of Texas. He lives near me and we have talked PSU football a few times. Class guy all the way.

LaVar was a phenom no doubt, but his undisciplined play had him out of position too often
Someone (probably Joe) once said LA was undisciplined and it just stuck. That might have been because he could do things that literally no other human could do. Early in his career he freelanced a lot and relied on his athleticism, but I’d argue that by the time he left, he was a fundamentally sound player.

Regardless, an all-time Penn State defensive list that doesn’t include LA is just wrong.

Did Dave Robinson play DE or LB at Penn State? Thought he was a DE at Penn State and then a LB at GB. Robinson was a great player both at Penn State and with the great Green Bay Packer teams!

I think both Dave Robinson and Bob Mitinger played DE at Penn State before moving to LB in the NFL.

A few other players who made similar transition include Dave Graf, Bruce Brannon, Jim Laslavic, John Ebersole, and Walker Lee Ashley.

Bowman was incredibly good. Watch our tennessee bowl game and how his side of the field was shut down.

His injury took away many good seasons from him.

LdN

Bruce Clark for Tim Johnson
Shane Conlan Nolan for Poz
Bryan Scott for Perry (not a corner)
Adrian Amos for Neal Smith (also not a corner)

Last edited:
Did Dave Robinson play DE or LB at Penn State? Thought he was a DE at Penn State and then a LB at GB. Robinson was a great player both at Penn State and with the great Green Bay Packer teams!

Unless you saw Dave Robinson play, you will have a hard time appreciating just how dominating a player he was at DE, NOT LB (was LB at Green Bay).. He also was maybe the last of the true two way players, being a great TE as well. This man was an all-pro for Vince Lombardi for a reason! In 1962 he put a hit on Roger Staubach that I thought would end Staubach's career. He was a true monster on the field. We had another great player in that era on the DL - Harrison "Hatch" Rosdahl. He was BRUTAL. PSU in the 60's and the 70's was reputed to be year in and year out, the most physical team in the country - ask Lou Holtz! Mark Robinson was also a brutal tackler. Onkotz, to me, was similar to Ham - smart, never out of place on the field, could do pass and run coverage superbly, and a hard hitter. Shame he got hurt and way prematurely ended career. Would have been a great one. By the way, who was the DB who flattened Michael Irvin in the Miami game?

I'll throw in James boyd as a special teams player. Dude wrecked return men all the time.

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Someone (probably Joe) once said LA was undisciplined and it just stuck. That might have been because he could do things that literally no other human could do. Early in his career he freelanced a lot and relied on his athleticism, but I’d argue that by the time he left, he was a fundamentally sound player.

Regardless, an all-time Penn State defensive list that doesn’t include LA is just wrong.
Onkotz' teams also had a better W/L record than LaVar's. I'll still take Dennis over LaVar- and that's not disrespecting LaVar.

Lavar had great athletic ability. If had listened to his Coach's both in college (Paterno & Sandusky) and professionally (Gibbs & Tom Coughlin) he would be in college and pro halls of fame, but he decided to follow his own drummer. And in my eyes is no better than average. Talent is essential, but it has to be used for the good of the TEAM!

My three linebackers: Onkotz, Ham, Poslusny. Parson(have to wait and see; will he be a Ham, Posluszny, Conlan or a bust like Arrington) Conlan, Battle, Bannon, and a trail of others could be considered

My LBs are Ham, Onkotz, Buttle and Mehl.
There are so many that deserve to called the best.

I know this will drive the old dogs wild but I am not sure people realize what we are watching with Micah. Micah would run circles around most of the LB's mentioned on most of your lists.

How does one make enough plays to be a Butkus award winner and out of position "often"?

Reactions: Omar81
How does one make enough plays to be a Butkus award winner and out of position "often"?
highlight reels

anybody who saw him play knows he was undisciplined - he often overcame that with pure physical ability, but he could have been better than he was

highlight reels

anybody who saw him play knows he was undisciplined - he often overcame that with pure physical ability, but he could have been better than he was

Perhaps our players need to be out of position more "often". Here are is 1999 stats

72 tackles (42 solo)
20 tackles for loss
10 sacks
1 Int
1 forced fumble
2 blocked kicks

I don't think they were all "highlights".

Perhaps our players need to be out of position more "often". Here are is 1999 stats

72 tackles (42 solo)
20 tackles for loss
10 sacks

1 Int
1 forced fumble
2 blocked kicks

I don't think they were all "highlights".
Greg Buttle had165 tackles in 75.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT