ADVERTISEMENT

Here is a very interesting stat, showing the growth in the offense...

DE Buchholz, Matos
DT Givens, Jordan
DT Windsor, Shelton, Hansard
DE Miller, Toney, Simmons
Star Farmer, Miller
LB Brown, Franklin, Cooper
LB Bowen, Faison Walden
CB Reid, TCF
CB Oruwariye, Wade
S Scott, Sutherland
S Monroe, Taylor

I see a lot of depth and experience returning.
It's easy to plug in names but reality is that Walden & Franklin are young and inexperienced LBs. Jordan, Shelton, & Hansard are not experienced DTs. Sutherland & Wade are not very experienced DBs.

We always hope for the best with these kids but it's not like we have plenty of proven experience up the middle.

I agree with the concept that we could have an improved offense next year. However, my biggest concern is ball security. I can't remember the last time Barkley fumbled. While that is still an unknown factor in Sanders' game abilities next season. I sure hope the offense continues to improve, without an increase in turnovers.

Over the past 6 games (which includes the games against Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan) we are #5 in the country in 3rd Down conversions at 49.3%.

We could really be sneaky good next year. Remember how Tennessee didn't win a national title until the year after Payton Manning left? If....IF IF IF IF IF IF the offensive line finally gets its shit together...(returns 4 of 5 starters again with some big challenges coming for those starting spots from reserves)....I really think we will have a more effective running game with Sanders next year than we did with Barkley this year. Sanders is averaging 7.3 ypc for his career.

581ec145ea244.image.jpg

Addition by subtraction....and addition. I like it.

And how you perform against the really good teams is what actually matters if your goals are high. Got it? I expect you don't. On many other really good PSU teams Barkley laughs home with the Heisman. But not this year. Got it, bro?
Seriously, what part don't you get? Over a six week period, only 4 teams in the country had a better 3rd down conversion rate than our offense. Who did teams 6 through whatever play?

And funny you keep insisting that the Judge provide you with stats that you could easily look up yourself. Why haven't you? Afraid it might not prove your point after all?

BTW, vs. OSU, we were 7-15, and vs. MSU we were 4-12. 11-27 is still >40%. Or is that not satisfactory enough for you?

I love when people say what Penn State was. Right now we are what Penn State was Post 70s. Since the 70s

are only years we have went back to back top 5 finishes in AP. We are about to make it 2016, 2017 a couple years removed from having a team with 65 scholarships players and no post season. We have a lot of talent and most of our tough games at home except Michigan. We rack up 10 + wins again next year and we are in rare air when it comes to 3 year streaks.

Don't waste your time. That guy just wants everyone to jump on his goofy bandwagon. If you don't, you're a homer. And for the love of God, DON'T CALL HIM 'BRO!' Apparently that really sets him off.
No doubt. I would have gone with "bruh."

I love when people say what Penn State was. Right now we are what Penn State was Post 70s. Since the 70s

are only years we have went back to back top 5 finishes in AP. We are about to make it 2016, 2017 a couple years removed from having a team with 65 scholarships players and no post season. We have a lot of talent and most of our tough games at home except Michigan. We rack up 10 + wins again next year and we are in rare air when it comes to 3 year streaks.
Many of our fans look back fondly on a time that never was

Hopefully Charles will step up but didn't do much this year. His hands sometimes betray him.
Johnson & Charles would make two big targets if they can fight for the ball in traffic. That might offset the loss of Gesicki. Polk or Thompkins replace Hamilton as more of a slot receiver. We could use a ARob/Godwin type.

Agree with the spirit of your post but we finished 7th in the AP poll last year and we're not likely to crack the top 5 this year. Possible back to back top 10 though

10 wins are possible next year but we have work to do on defense. We replace Nebraska with Wisconsin on the schedule so that won't be easy.

Johnson & Charles would make two big targets if they can fight for the ball in traffic. That might offset the loss of Gesicki. Polk or Thompkins replace Hamilton as more of a slot receiver. We could use a ARob/Godwin type.

That's why I mentioned true freshmen in an earlier post. Shorter appears to have all
the tools.

It's easy to plug in names but reality is that Walden & Franklin are young and inexperienced LBs. Jordan, Shelton, & Hansard are not experienced DTs. Sutherland & Wade are not very experienced DBs.

We always hope for the best with these kids but it's not like we have plenty of proven experience up the middle.

Yeah that’s why they are listed as backups. That’s how it works.

Yeah that’s why they are listed as backups. That’s how it works.
Thanks Einstein. When kids make a positive impact as an underclassman it's easy to be optimistic that they'll take the next step the following year. That's not the case with kids like Shelton, Hansard, and Sutherland. It's premature to suggest we'll be in good shape next year just because we have those guys. Those kids might eventually be stars but at this point they are young, inexperienced, and unproven. I'm pretty sure that none of them are going to be on any pre season All B1G teams.

We have competed with everyone we have played over the past two seasons with a roster of mostly 3* and low end 4* talent. Nothing is guaranteed, but it's absurd to think that we are magically going to fall off the map while everyone else is magically going to get better or maintain high levels.

To win 10+ games a year consistently, it takes a combination of coaching, recruiting, and luck. How many teams have done this consistently? When has our program done so?

We are in the best position we have been in since the mid 90s. Not a bad spot to be.

Can you quote the stats vs. OSU and MSU please too? Don't blend them into the cupcake stats, call them out separately. Because that is our target now.

Edit: to be fair, include the Michigan stats. That is the group we care about.

the rushing numbers would have been good vs UM and Nebraska. the numbers vs tOSU, MSU and Rutgers were not very good. i think our yds per game in that run were just over 300 yds per game, which is nothing in this day and age. SB had very low ypc and during this stretch many announcers were calling PSU out for being weak OL and run game. before Nebraska game, Joey Galloway actually questioned whether SB would get 1,000 yds for the season.

for the first time vs Nebraska SB was getting the ball running down hill. that was a change.

Thanks Einstein. When kids make a positive impact as an underclassman it's easy to be optimistic that they'll take the next step the following year. That's not the case with kids like Shelton, Hansard, and Sutherland. It's premature to suggest we'll be in good shape next year just because we have those guys. Those kids might eventually be stars but at this point they are young, inexperienced, and unproven. I'm pretty sure that none of them are going to be on any pre season All B1G teams.

THEY....ARE...BACKUPS.

Reactions: Judge Smails
the rushing numbers would have been good vs UM and Nebraska. the numbers vs tOSU, MSU and Rutgers were not very good. i think our yds per game in that run were just over 300 yds per game, which is nothing in this day and age. SB had very low ypc and during this stretch many announcers were calling PSU out for being weak OL and run game. before Nebraska game, Joey Galloway actually questioned whether SB would get 1,000 yds for the season.

for the first time vs Nebraska SB was getting the ball running down hill. that was a change.
Yes, you and Joey Galloway questioned if Barkley would make it to 1,000 yards.

DE Buchholz, Matos
DT Givens, Jordan
DT Windsor, Shelton, Hansard
DE Miller, Toney, Simmons
Star Farmer, Miller
LB Brown, Franklin, Cooper
LB Bowen, Faison Walden
CB Reid, TCF
CB Oruwariye, Wade
S Scott, Sutherland
S Monroe, Taylor

I see a lot of depth and experience returning.

And Brooks at LB. Some current player (can’t remember who) singled him out recently as someone with whom he’s been impressed.

Reactions: Judge Smails
As far as the 2018 secondary is concerned, Amani O at CB is 3rd in the Big Ten in pass breakups per game and interceptions. John Reid, our best CB, comes back from a redshirt. Scott and Monroe have both been getting 20+ snaps per game at the safety spots. TCF and Wade will both be better reserves after a year of experience. They love Sutherland, he's a thumper. The secondary is going to continue to play at a high level.

Agree with the spirit of your post but we finished 7th in the AP poll last year and we're not likely to crack the top 5 this year. Possible back to back top 10 though

10 wins are possible next year but we have work to do on defense. We replace Nebraska with Wisconsin on the schedule so that won't be easy.
So you are assuming PSU will likely lose the bowl game? They finish 11-2, they will likely be in the Top 5.

No doubt. I would have gone with "bruh."
I have to wonder how you guys handle anything in your life that goes wrong. It always comes as a complete surprise to you, nothing seems wrong at all and everything is perfect and then some mysterious force turns against you and you're shocked. We are two years away from being truly elite, not just having elite players at several positions.

It baffles me how you guys cannot understand the simple concept of being a fan yet recognize things are not perfect. This board is literally the equivalent of watching Rush Limbaugh or Rachel Madow. Not only do you not consider an opposing viewpoint (lol and even one that simply doesn't completely agree with your own) you don't even HEAR the other side. That is what this board is for the most part. In other words, you are complete homers. When someone says "We have a really good team and all we need is xx and yy", you go bonkers.

Happy Thanksgiving guys. I'm sure there are those that will spend a couple hours twisting words and coming up with ways to meet their agenda but I'm not interested in that. Agree to disagree is as close as I will ever get to you.

In 2 years it will be sublime on this board.

This offense cannot sack a QB so there is always that. But hey, maybe we can dissect the unblocked TFL's again as PSU averages 40 points a game.

I have to wonder how you guys handle anything in your life that goes wrong. It always comes as a complete surprise to you, nothing seems wrong at all and everything is perfect and then some mysterious force turns against you and you're shocked. We are two years away from being truly elite, not just having elite players at several positions.

It baffles me how you guys cannot understand the simple concept of being a fan yet recognize things are not perfect. This board is literally the equivalent of watching Rush Limbaugh or Rachel Madow. Not only do you not consider an opposing viewpoint (lol and even one that simply doesn't completely agree with your own) you don't even HEAR the other side. That is what this board is for the most part. In other words, you are complete homers. When someone says "We have a really good team and all we need is xx and yy", you go bonkers.

Happy Thanksgiving guys. I'm sure there are those that will spend a couple hours twisting words and coming up with ways to meet their agenda but I'm not interested in that. Agree to disagree is as close as I will ever get to you.

Geez, nobody's said we're perfect. Get over yourself.

Bite me. Happy Thanksgiving you sanctimonious jerk.

Reactions: NJPSU

Please define elite...that might help the rest of us lowly fans.

Please define elite...that might help the rest of us lowly fans.

To gibronis like this, elite always equals what Penn State is, plus a little more. He'll just keep moving the goalposts so that we never get there and he has something to complain about.

Reactions: LionJim
So you are assuming PSU will likely lose the bowl game? They finish 11-2, they will likely be in the Top 5.
They would move ahead of the team they beat but they won't move ahead of any of the playoff teams.

ADVERTISEMENT