ADVERTISEMENT

Here is a very interesting stat, showing the growth in the offense...

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Over the past 6 games (which includes the games against Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan) we are #5 in the country in 3rd Down conversions at 49.3%.

We could really be sneaky good next year. Remember how Tennessee didn't win a national title until the year after Payton Manning left? If....IF IF IF IF IF IF the offensive line finally gets its shit together...(returns 4 of 5 starters again with some big challenges coming for those starting spots from reserves)....I really think we will have a more effective running game with Sanders next year than we did with Barkley this year. Sanders is averaging 7.3 ypc for his career.

581ec145ea244.image.jpg

Last edited:
Over the past 6 games (which includes the games against Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan) we are #5 in the country in 3rd Down conversions at 49.3%.

We could really be sneaky good next year. Remember how Tennessee didn't win a national title until the year after Payton Manning left? If....IF IF IF IF IF IF the offensive line finally gets it's shit together...(returns 4 of 5 starters again with some big challenges coming for those starting spots from reserves)....I really think we will have a more effective running game with Sanders next year than we did with Barkley this year. Sanders is averaging 7.3 ypc for his career.

581ec145ea244.image.jpg
yeah, but imagine how good we would have been if we ran the I-formation!!

I agree that I think we can have a better running game next year with and improved O-Line and Sanders and Company. I think we will perhaps lack the huge home run threat but I think we will be much more consistent and able to grind out the 4-5 yarders when we need to.

We could really be sneaky good next year. Remember how Tennessee didn't win a national title until the year after Payton Manning left? If....IF IF IF IF IF IF the offensive line finally gets it's shit together...(returns 4 of 5 starters again with some big challenges coming for those starting spots from reserves)....I really think we will have a more effective running game with Sanders next year than we did with Barkley this year. Sanders is averaging 7.3 ypc for his career.

581ec145ea244.image.jpg

The O-line gets some help from redshirts who are supposedly doing well. The receivers will
lose size and experience. Hopefully the incoming freshmen will be as good as advertised and
can contribute early.

I agree that I think we can have a better running game next year with and improved O-Line and Sanders and Company. I think we will perhaps lack the huge home run threat but I think we will be much more consistent and able to grind out the 4-5 yarders when we need to.

I think Sanders is fast enough to be a HR threat.

Reactions: JJTopp99
The O-line gets some help from redshirts who are supposedly doing well. The receivers will
lose size and experience. Hopefully the incoming freshmen will be as good as advertised and
can contribute early.

Juwan Johnson, Thompkins, Polk, and Charles have played a ton of snaps at WR. JJ should have a huge season. Hamler (4 star), Hippenhammer (chose PSU over ND), and CSB coming off redshirts. I think Justin Shorter is too good to keep off the field but I don't think we "need" contributions from any freshman.

Reactions: Bob78

We could really be sneaky good next year. Remember how Tennessee didn't win a national title until the year after Payton Manning left? If....IF IF IF IF IF IF the offensive line finally gets its shit together...(returns 4 of 5 starters again with some big challenges coming for those starting spots from reserves)....I really think we will have a more effective running game with Sanders next year than we did with Barkley this year. Sanders is averaging 7.3 ypc for his career.

Can you quote the stats vs. OSU and MSU please too? Don't blend them into the cupcake stats, call them out separately. Because that is our target now.

Edit: to be fair, include the Michigan stats. That is the group we care about.

lose size and experience. Hopefully the incoming freshmen will be as good as advertised an

I agree we lose experience in receivers, but not sure I agree we lose size. Johnson has is huge. Charles at 6'4" will likely play more. And incoming stud Shorter is listed at 6'4". I acknowledge that Hamler, Polk, and Hippenhammer are shorter than Blacknall and Hamilton, but overall I think size is still there.

Can you quote the stats vs. OSU and MSU please too? Don't blend them into the cupcake stats, call them out separately. Because that is our target now.

tumblr_n8az55Vgcy1s8qeo3o1_500.gif

Every team plays tough teams and easier teams. You don't have separate national rankings for teams' easy games and their hard games. Apples to apples, bro.

581ec145ea244.image.jpg
I think the offense could be just as good next year IF the OL improves and we find a TE. The defense is a much bigger concern,

581ec145ea244.image.jpg
when you think about it we could return 5 starters, from left to right, 71, 52 (moves back to OG) 66, 74 (moves from left to right) 77. We will see.

Yeah...well, Sanders is not as good as Barkley. He's good and got potential, but he's not Barkley.

We will improve on the OL. We will improve at QB (another year of experience for McS). But we lose a lot at TE, RB and WR. We also lose a ton on defense. in the meantime, UM, tOSU and Sparty started younger teams than we did.

i love the optimism, but it would be shocking for us to improve on a two loss season.

I think the offense could be just as good next year IF the OL improves and we find a TE. The defense is a much bigger concern,

DE Buchholz, Matos
DT Givens, Jordan
DT Windsor, Shelton, Hansard
DE Miller, Toney, Simmons
Star Farmer, Miller
LB Brown, Franklin, Cooper
LB Bowen, Faison Walden
CB Reid, TCF
CB Oruwariye, Wade
S Scott, Sutherland
S Monroe, Taylor

I see a lot of depth and experience returning.

Reactions: Option Bob
Every team plays tough teams and easier teams. You don't have separate national rankings for teams' easy games and their hard games. Apples to apples, bro.
Yes, apples to apples, bro. Don't separate them, look at the stats against the teams that matter, bro. Are you concerned about what you might see, bro?

I think Sanders is fast enough to be a HR threat.

yup - look at Larry Johnson. Give him a few barn door size holes and its off to the races.

The TE blocking will improve - though we lose the TE as a receiver. Hopefully there is another blue chip coming up to compliment Johnson at receiver.

The defense next year scares me a little.

Reactions: mn78psu83
yup - look at Larry Johnson. Give him a few barn door size holes and its off to the races.

The TE blocking will improve - though we lose the TE as a receiver. Hopefully there is another blue chip coming up to compliment Johnson at receiver.

The defense next year scares me a little.
We are two years away. Don't let my bro above delude you. If your target is what PSU once was, we are two years away.

But my bro will disagree, and have plenty of irrelevant evidence to prove it.

Yes, apples to apples, bro. Don't separate them, look at the stats against the teams that matter, bro. Are you concerned about what you might see, bro?

Before you go on ignore, teams have lower success rates against great defenses. They have higher success rates against lower ranked defenses. When you BLEND those games together, you get the national rankings. That goes for every team. It is significant that the last six games we played include our toughest games. Got it? Great. And keep your knees together.

Before you go on ignore, teams have lower success rates against great defenses. They have higher success rates against lower ranked defenses. When you BLEND those games together, you get the national rankings. That goes for every team. It is significant that the last six games we played include our toughest games. Got it? Great. And keep your knees together.
And how you perform against the really good teams is what actually matters if your goals are high. Got it? I expect you don't. On many other really good PSU teams Barkley laughs home with the Heisman. But not this year. Got it, bro?

We are two years away. Don't let my bro above delude you. If your target is what PSU once was, we are two years away.

But my bro will disagree, and have plenty of irrelevant evidence to prove it.

What PSU once was? Please enlighten me to how often PSU had back to back 10 win seasons (possible back to back 11 win seasons)...

And how you perform against the really good teams is what actually matters if your goals are high. Got it? I expect you don't. On many other really good PSU teams Barkley laughs home with the Heisman. But not this year. Got it, bro?
If you do any kind of statistical analysis, you don't filter out games. That's silly. Of course the stats won't be as good if you only select the toughest opponents. And neither will Alabama's stats - or Clemson's - or Georgia's, etc etc

Penn State 3rd Down Conversions
Michigan 6-16
Ohio State 7-15
Michigan State 4-12

Combined 40%

C'mon Judge, you cherry picker. You know there was a stretch in the MSU game where we missed 3 3rd downs in a row. That's 0% and that's the stat that matters. We suck, just admit it.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
Which (your point about D) is weird to accept as a PSU fan...

Different world than decades earlier...o_O

Michigan 6-16
Ohio State 7-15
Michigan State 4-12

Combined 40%
Worse v MSU than OSU and UM.

Impossible to deny the weather and delay didn’t seriously impact performance.

To all the homers here: being good and being elite good are two different things. I'm not going to help you with it anymore, you can remain ignorant of the difference. You can find whatever stats that support "your" position. And so can I, it's pretty easily actually.

This team has not been elite against other good teams this year. They are good, there is no doubt about it. They are not good enough because our roster is not elite across the board (LB and DL, not sure about OL really). I don't care if you want to quote stats vs. Akron, Indiana and Pitt.

None of you has an answer at all as to why the clear best college player in football this year will not win the Heisman. Think about it homers. It is not embarrassing. We are just not there yet.

To all the homers here: being good and being elite good are two different things. I'm not going to help you with it anymore, you can remain ignorant of the difference. You can find whatever stats that support "your" position. And so can I, it's pretty easily actually.

This team has not been elite against other good teams this year. They are good, there is no doubt about it. They are not good enough because our roster is not elite across the board (LB and DL, not sure about OL really). I don't care if you want to quote stats vs. Akron, Indiana and Pitt.

None of you has an answer at all as to why the clear best college player in football this year will not win the Heisman. Think about it homers. It is not embarrassing. We are just not there yet.

So now you've moved on to another argument, since your last one was proven to be bullshiat?

Michigan 6-16
Ohio State 7-15
Michigan State 4-12

Combined 40%
while those stats are great, and it is great to be (we hope) 10-2, we left at least 1, more likely 2 games out there this year, OSU and MSU. Both of these we had leads in the 4th qtr , OSU we are leading 35-20 in the 4th qtr. To get where everyone wants to go, we need to this O to figure out some things:
1) coming out off the goal line
2) how to put the game away, how to run 4 minutes off the clock
3) how to play 'nasty' ball, especially at a place like the Beav. It's raining, cold, miserable outside, maybe somebody got hurt, how do you salt the game away.

I think the offense has to continue to have explosive plays, I really think they do a great job in that area, while figuring out how to eliminate so many negative plays. On D you can give up a 20 yd play easier, than the O can recover from a loss, of say 5 on a play.

You suck. Have a nice day.

So having a Heisman winner dictates who is elite? So only 1 team a year is Elite? If that is the case, why did UofL go 9-4?

While I agree we have some issues, please name me one school that doesn't. Seriously, every team has issues. Being "elite" means making the playoff? I would lay money that PSU would play right with every team ranked above them. They may not win, but they sure as hell would not lose 31-0

This isn't the first year we had the best player who didn't win the Heisman....and one of those years we were undefeated and he still didn't win the Heisman.

Nobody is saying we are ready to go toe to toe with Bama. The point is that we continue to improve and the future looks bright. Get a grip.

Reactions: LionJim
DE Buchholz, Matos
DT Givens, Jordan
DT Windsor, Shelton, Hansard
DE Miller, Toney, Simmons
Star Farmer, Miller
LB Brown, Franklin, Cooper
LB Bowen, Faison Walden
CB Reid, TCF
CB Oruwariye, Wade
S Scott, Sutherland
S Monroe, Taylor

I see a lot of depth and experience returning.
And Torrence Brown...unless he wont be back for his final year.

Reactions: bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT