ADVERTISEMENT

Helton to Stay @ USC

my brother-n-law who used to be a sports reporter for Detroit Free Press provided this information - and view on the JF "rumors". this is just his view of the reporter and responsible ethical behavior.

normally a reporter will indicate that "according to their sources" they are reporting a possible event is in play or about to happen. they are getting ahead of the real news with supposedly "sure thing" info from their "source".

every organization (i.e. the NY Times) has as part of their ethical practices to insure the reporter actually has sources, so while sources are secret someone corroborates there is some actual potential truth/fact. If this doesn't happen, then you could just have reporters making up news they prefer and create a situation where other reporters are actually citing their made up news. This is against the ethics of the profession.

so theoretically someone in the national media that was floating this has a "source" on the inside (i.e. USC) who actually knew that JF was a real possible candidate to be true. if not it is fair for these talking heads to speculate about possible situations, but should be presented as the reporter's speculation with no actual backing. that is opinion not news.

I think if a coach were to have their agent to act as a "source" for the media probably qualifies if there is actually a conversation happening with the school. that seems to happen in NFL all the time.

Ethics and journalism parted ways long ago.

Reactions: eidolon21
And yet there still is nothing wrong with his article. A simple yes answers all questions and kills all speculations. Unless James doesn't want to be tied down?
Or he answers it and the dumb asses around the world say it doesn’t mean anything because all coaches say that even before they leave. I think Franklin has made it clear every year he’s been here that this is his dream job and this is where he wants to be....why can’t people in the media (especially PSU beat writers) accept that? No one is claiming Saban, Swinney, Meyer, Fitz, Harbaugh, or a host of others want to leave for every opening that comes along, why can’t they believe Franklin wants to be at PSU?

Reactions: chrisrn1965
Franklin's only real issues are clock and in-game management. If you have watched games the past few years, you would acknowledge this, even as the biggest homer or Franklin slappy. Its not wrong to expect more out of him in this capacity. He is A+ everything else and no one I would rather represent PSU. It's ok for people to feel this way and state the obvious on a discussion forum.

I really don’t get how it was widely believed Helton was out. He won the pac-12 and 11 games last year and 10 games and the rose bowl two years ago. It’s not like he went winless. What top coach is going to want to go into an environment where one down season is cause for termination?

If those were harbaughs results the last three seasons they’d be building statues and naming the field after him in Ann Arbor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT