ADVERTISEMENT

Help for all the negative posters

To me these people fall into a few categories

1) Fans of other programs throwing shade (there are quite a few)
2) Weak PSU fans with an agenda (can the coach whose brought us back to prominence)
3) People who live their lives hopelessly negatively. I can only imagine the self-fulfilling prophacies of some of these poor souls in their everyday lives.
4) PSU fans who bought into playoff expectations in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year and now are having an emotional reaction.

I say ignore them. The problem is actually themselves. This team will grow and compete and next year look out!

There’s not nearly as many as there used to be, but still a few who want Franklin to fail if it means there’s a chance a Penn Stater from Joe’s era comes back to take over the program.

I can’t believe that I just saw “for all of the” abbreviated. Incorrectly, to boot.

I can’t believe that I just saw “for all of the” abbreviated. Incorrectly, to boot.

You didn't, you saw a typo...fot instead of for. But thanks for adding to the discussion.

Meanwhile, I'm one of the frustrated fans, not because of the losses themselves but for the way (and when, and how) they happen. I'm also not losing my mind or letting them affect my life...outside of the particular Saturday, of course!

I get tired of the "I'm a better fan than you are" threads and posts, as if the team and coaching staff should be immune to any criticism. Nobody "expected" an undefeated season, and nobody "expected" to make the playoffs. However, the team had fourth quarter leads in both of its losses and basically crapped the bed -- as it did in its losses last year, and in the loss to USC before that. The common theme is frustrating to me and many other fans, especially as the game is happening and for a day or so after that.

Tell me which category I belong to, o ye bestest fans of all . . .

I get tired of the "I'm a better fan than you are" threads and posts, as if the team and coaching staff should be immune to any criticism. Nobody "expected" an undefeated season, and nobody "expected" to make the playoffs. However, the team had fourth quarter leads in both of its losses and basically crapped the bed -- as it did in its losses last year, and in the loss to USC before that. The common theme is frustrating to me and many other fans, especially as the game is happening and for a day or so after that.

I’m in your category. I hate these posts where they act like they are sooo above everyone else and are the adult on a message board.

Those people are their own category- don’t know football just Dress in psu gear they have had since 1978 and think everyone should be half as invested as they are.

Reactions: nits74
You say look out next year but I’m sure you’ll be the first one to post about how it was unreasonable to have high expectations with a first year starting qb as soon as they drop a few games. Then you’ll say but look out next year again and in 2020 the excuse after the losses will be three new starters on the offensive line. It’s a never ending stream of next year and waiting for some unattainably perfect set of circumstances for high expectations to be justified for many here.

Reactions: nits74 and Mufasa2

the whiny, entitled category?

Reactions: step.eng69
There’s not nearly as many as there used to be, but still a few who want Franklin to fail if it means there’s a chance a Penn Stater from Joe’s era comes back to take over the program.
Think about the shallowness of heart and spirit it takes for a person to want to see the team fail because they have animus against the coach and want their personal favorite as a replacement. Sorry, but that's a special kind of selfishess and "ugly". This team is wounded and fragile right now and the next few games may not be pretty. Then we'll know who the true fans are vs the fake ones. There is not a fan in the PSU community carrying the weight of this loss more than Franklin, his coaches, and team.

the whiny, entitled category?
Oh, that cuts so deeply, and is so rooted in accuracy. Because, you know, I question for a day or so losing leads (and in many cases, of double digits) and ultimately games in the 4th quarter.

Strawman. Who is beyond criticism? No one. Not Franklin, his coaches, or team. They have to get better. They must get better. If not, they will be unemployed. Franklin knows and probably carries the weight of that more than we will ever know. With his ego and drive do you really think he wants to fail? Heck, as a crazy fan who loves PSU football I could not sleep Saturday night. It was brutal. I get it. No, the point folks are making in this thread is with your constancy of criticism it's like picking at a scab trying to make it bleed and complaining about it or that somehow you're a victim in the team's losing. "Okay, I just woke up and what else can I find fault with?" Do you think your pain and sense of loss is greater than the team's or Franklin's? Thought not. At some point we'll know if Franklin is successful or has truly failed. Then we can all have at it with glee.

Strawman. Who is beyond criticism? No one. Not Franklin, his coaches, or team. They have to get better. They must get better. If not, they will be unemployed. Franklin knows and probably carries the weight of that more than we will ever know. With his ego and drive do you really think he wants to fail? Heck, as a crazy fan who loves PSU football I could not sleep Saturday night. It was brutal. I get it. No, the point folks are making in this thread is with your constancy of criticism it's like picking at a scab trying to make it bleed and complaining about it or that somehow you're a victim in the team's losing. "Okay, I just woke up and what else can I find fault with?" Do you think your pain and sense of loss is greater than the team's or Franklin's? Thought not. At some point we'll know if Franklin is successful or has truly failed. Then we can all have at it with glee.

Because a constancy of “all is well, f everyone who isn’t glass half full” is the right approach?

Reactions: Omar81
Oh, that cuts so deeply, and is so rooted in accuracy. Because, you know, I question for a day or so losing leads (and in many cases, of double digits) and ultimately games in the 4th quarter.
the shoe fits

2) Weak PSU fans with an agenda (can the coach whose brought us back to prominence)
3) People who live their lives hopelessly negatively. I can only imagine the self-fulfilling prophacies of some of these poor souls in their everyday lives.
4) PSU fans who bought into playoff expectations in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year and now are having an emotional reaction.

I say ignore them. The problem is actually themselves. This team will grow and compete and next year look out!
I am #4. Just being honest. I have to vent once and then move on.

Wow. Please point out "[my] constancy of criticism," or anywhere that I am claiming to be "a victim in the team's losing" or asserting that "[my] paing and sense of loss is greater than the team's or Franklin's." I'll wait . . .

These threads and posts like yours are a lazy attempt to paint with the same broad brush everyone who is disappointed with the 4th quarter collapses the last two weeks, or over the last 6 losses.

Hey, if you and others need to grasp some self esteem by asserting your superior fandom over people on the internet that you don't know, please be my guest.

Reactions: nits74
I prefer to hear arguments on balance, but I really don't have a problem with the overly positive or the overly negative. Your view will be skewed if you happen to lean to a certain side.

I have a problem with people who want to take the argument to the poster, instead of the issue. I have a problem with people who want to antagonize the other side with a lack of substance. That is what Mary started with this thread, and it is symptomatic of the political climate within this country.

Reactions: nits74 and Omar81

People seem to have forgotten crushing losses suffered by some of Joe’s teams. What magnifies them today is relentless social media and 24/7 sports channels filled with experts picking games apart.
Imagine there being social media back in 1967. Coming off a 5-5 first year, young Joe Paterno opens 1967 by going 1-2 in the first three games. That would mean he was 6-7. His seat would be getting hot. It got warm back then, with no social media.

Reactions: PennState_one

Omar, I am guessing that have not accomplished dip spit in your life. Negative people seldom lead. I never said I was a better fan but heck, now that you mention it, I AM and WE ARE!

Reactions: Monty2007
Negative people seldom lead.

This is true. But on the flip side, blindly positive people are not leading either even though they may have achieved that position by being that way in front of others. It's simply a means of garnering support, but doesn't necessarily lead to constructive change. Change is uncomfortable.

This is what politicians do, both ways. Most attack the other side without substance, simply citing what's wrong without offering any details on what they would do differently. Then, on the flip side, they say if they get elected everything is going to be great, without offering details on how.

This concept applies to this message board. A lack of tolerance in the exchange of thought prevents any real constructive increase in knowledge. It's why this country has its collective head in the sand. Can't be neutral on balance. Take a side in the political war. Take a side on whether you hate Franklin or you love him.

Omar, I am guessing that have not accomplished dip spit in your life. Negative people seldom lead. I never said I was a better fan but heck, now that you mention it, I AM and WE ARE!
Ah Mary. I love ya, but there was no need to take a personal shot at Omar. He took a shot at a class of posts, which included you, but did not specifically target you. His post reflects the opinion of many here, including me. I have no tolerance for those who are constantly negative, even in wins, but in losses like the last two, especially Michigan State, I have no problem with "responsible" criticism.

Reactions: nits74 and Omar81
We have posters of all kinds here. Some seemingly want to stir the pot at times. Some like to keep the pot un-stirred. Some like to point out obvious inadequacies of the team/staff while other tend to look past that toward better days ahead.

I used to be more critical and demanding than I am now. I lived through a lot, had a lot placed on my plate, responsibility, the weight of problems out of my control, etc. I grasp the gravity of leadership even if not at this level. So I'm more apt to try to look deeper for mitigating issues.

Yet, I in no way absolve the team/staff for these fourth quarter debacles that have become a habit.
I did not absolve the staff for the Alabama debacles of the 79 Sugar Bowl or even more so the blocked field goal fiasco of a year later or so, that one still boils my blood. We've witnessed so many in person that while never acceptable it is not as upsetting as it used to be. Not excusing anything but not losing sleep over it either. Everyone is different as witnessed on this board. Fire away.

Hoping that you're feeling better about yourself after posting a "PTSD crisis line" to start this absurd thread and now making personal attacks on the internet regarding someone you don't even know. I'll skip posting my resume to counter your "have not accomplished dip spit in your life" comment.

Carry on.

I don't like to whine. I haven't seen PSU out of a game since the michigan game in 2016. I don't think I've seen soemthing like this since the late 60s.

Reactions: Obliviax
I don't like to whine. I haven't seen PSU out of a game since the michigan game in 2016. I don't think I've seen soemthing like this since the late 60s.
its a great point. ....have to look at the upside and downside. Fact is, we have been coming oh so close to winning big games against big teams. A couple of patterns:
  • losing 4th quarter leads
  • not being able to sustain drives to kill the clock
  • getting our prevent defense shredded
These things need to be fixed but we are still in a far better place than we've been in.

giphy.gif

Hoping that you're feeling better about yourself after posting a "PTSD crisis line" to start this absurd thread and now making personal attacks on the internet regarding someone you don't even know. I'll skip posting my resume to counter your "have not accomplished dip spit in your life" comment.

Carry on.
If you post your résumé, I'll post mine. Scratch that. I don't have one. I could write my list of accomplishments on a twisty tie. I'm positive about that.

its a great point. ....have to look at the upside and downside. Fact is, we have been coming oh so close to winning big games against big teams. A couple of patterns:
  • losing 4th quarter leads
  • not being able to sustain drives to kill the clock
  • getting our prevent defense shredded
These things need to be fixed but we are still in a far better place than we've been in.

giphy.gif
Oh, I'm not happy about losing, but I could point to a play a play by Trace in three games that could have turned it around. Or someone else in each game. Like a dropped INT. Let's fix that. It's a lot easier to fix one play than a whole team.

Oh, I'm not happy about losing, but I could point to a play a play by Trace in three games that could have turned it around. Or someone else in each game. Like a dropped INT. Let's fix that. It's a lot easier to fix one play than a whole team.

The counter argument would be that the games have been lost by mistakes in all 3 phases and all 3 phases require attention. One play is the symptom not that cause.

The counter argument would be that the games have been lost by mistakes in all 3 phases and all 3 phases require attention. One play is the symptom not that cause.
Th cure only required one play however. of course there is room for improvement but all the games were agaisnt quality opponents. And we obviously won games by one play too.
Remember the other guy tries too.

People seem to have forgotten crushing losses suffered by some of Joe’s teams. What magnifies them today is relentless social media and 24/7 sports channels filled with experts picking games apart.
Imagine there being social media back in 1967. Coming off a 5-5 first year, young Joe Paterno opens 1967 by going 1-2 in the first three games. That would mean he was 6-7. His seat would be getting hot. It got warm back then, with no social media.
I recall 1999. Getting crushed by Michigan by like 30 points in 1997. OSU not punting in 1
2007? Things like that. We were in all these games. It stinks to lose but I'm not going to be that goofy fan that isn't happy unless we're 58-0 in the last 58 games winning by 21 or more.

You missed a category. Fans who try to temper both the negatives and positives and yet get chastised for doing so. The emotions run as raw and irrational here as #metoo.

Call. 919-231-4535
This is the PTSD crisis line.

As for me? Sure players and coaches made mistakes but I am very excited about the future of Lion football. Maybe Dantonio is the Forenz for coach Franklin.

Yep.
In the service we pulled fire watch while everyone else slept. Saturday nights after a loss we need to have suicide watch here.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Th cure only required one play however. of course there is room for improvement but all the games were agaisnt quality opponents. And we obviously won games by one play too.
Remember the other guy tries too.

Short term its one play. Big picture it isn't. Like taking advil to get rid of the pain from a cavity, it isn't a long term solution. and michigan state isn't a quality opponent. they're a mediocre and injured team when you remove the name.

Ah Mary. I love ya, but there was no need to take a personal shot at Omar. He took a shot at a class of posts, which included you, but did not specifically target you. His post reflects the opinion of many here, including me. I have no tolerance for those who are constantly negative, even in wins, but in losses like the last two, especially Michigan State, I have no problem with "responsible" criticism.
Sorry, you are right but it is silly for people not to realize tha players can have a bad game. Trace stays in bounds we win. #21 makes an easy interception we win, so many other things went wrong. Hopefully the staff has finally learned that playing not to lose when you get the ball is a bad strategy. We lost. I can live with that and not be bitter. The rancor toward 19-22 year old kids is uncalled for.

Reactions: fairgambit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT