Heller from the 2008 SC decision is challenging DC in court again

Ski

May 29, 2001

Dick Heller Files Lawsuit Challenging DC’s Limits on Ammo Carried by Concealed Carriers

On June 30, 2022, Heller filed a lawsuit against the District of Columbia again. This time challenging their limit on ammunition concealed carriers are allowed to carry.

2343.1 A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds of ammunition

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018

Dick Heller Files Lawsuit Challenging DC’s Limits on Ammo Carried by Concealed Carriers

On June 30, 2022, Heller filed a lawsuit against the District of Columbia again. This time challenging their limit on ammunition concealed carriers are allowed to carry.

2343.1 A person issued a concealed carry license by the Chief, while carrying the pistol, shall not carry more ammunition than is required to fully load the pistol twice, and in no event shall that amount be greater than twenty (20) rounds of ammunition
I’ll play along. Basically you’re going to evaluate the restriction in light of its relationship to the constitutionally acceptable purpose (self defense). Here, I could see a lower court reasonably concluding that 20 round limit is reasonably consistent with self defense. Regardless of how the ddc or dc circuit comes out, I’d wager that’s the type of detailed issue scotus would not grant cert on, assuming the lower court followed that framework.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Nittany Ziggy

Dec 10, 2003
Pittsburgh
What if you're holed up behind a dumpster at the end of an alley and 2 crack heads are taking pot shots at you with their pistols and rifles from their crack distribution van? I think that having more than 2 magazines of ammo might be necessary for self defense.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I’ll play along. Basically you’re going to evaluate the restriction in light of its relationship to the constitutionally acceptable purpose (self defense). Here, I could see a lower court reasonably concluding that 20 round limit is reasonably consistent with self defense. Regardless of how the ddc or dc circuit comes out, I’d wager that’s the type of detailed issue scotus would not grant cert on, assuming the lower court followed that framework.
All they have to do is cite certain self defense situations. They also have a 10 round mag limit.
This is where DC is not being reasonable. I carry a Glock with 2 eight shot mags. However I carry my Sig I’d have 2 twelve round mags. A Glock 19 would have two fifteen round mags. A Glock 17 would have two seventeen round mags.
I’m giving you numbers for one reload. Carrying two is a pain in the ass , however they shouldn’t limit it. No one ever said I wish I had less ammo after that got done a gunfight.

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
What if you're holed up behind a dumpster at the end of an alley and 2 crack heads are taking pot shots at you with their pistols and rifles from their crack distribution van? I think that having more than 2 magazines of ammo might be necessary for self defense.
The thing about assessing reasonableness is that you don’t do so on the basis of outliers. We don’t go by the Austin powers monkeys flying out of my butt standard.

either way, regardless of how the circuit came out, I think heller is disappointed if he thinks he gets another scotus case

maypole

May 9, 2022
All they have to do is cite certain self defense situations. They also have a 10 round mag limit.
This is where DC is not being reasonable. I carry a Glock with 2 eight shot mags. However I carry my Sig I’d have 2 twelve round mags. A Glock 19 would have two fifteen round mags. A Glock 17 would have two seventeen round mags.
I’m giving you numbers for one reload. Carrying two is a pain in the ass , however they shouldn’t limit it. No one ever said I wish I had less ammo after that got done a gunfight.
You got up at 5:30 am to post this crap?
Expect to see in the news for coaching mass murderers.