ADVERTISEMENT

Heading to Myrtle Beach in 2 Weeks...

MWes11

Apr 22, 2012
Any recommendations on good restaurants/bars? Most likely just go to the beach during the day, but would like to get to some good places at night. No kids going.

Looks like we are staying about a 5 min drive east from Broadway at the Beach for a reference point. Any recs would be greatly appreciate. TIA.

Any recommendations on good restaurants/bars? Most likely just go to the beach during the day, but would like to get to some good places at night. No kids going.

Looks like we are staying about a 5 min drive east from Broadway at the Beach for a reference point. Any recs would be greatly appreciate. TIA.

@razpsu ....

If you like craft brew check out New South Brewing in Myrtle Beach. It's kind of hidden away from the beach and a lot of locals go there. Odd hours and no food service, but there is usually a food truck. Bonus if you like the Grateful Dead, the atmosphere reflects the owner's taste and so do some of the names of the beers. The wife and I love the place.

Reactions: MWes11
If you like craft brew check out New South Brewing in Myrtle Beach. It's kind of hidden away from the beach and a lot of locals go there. Odd hours and no food service, but there is usually a food truck. Bonus if you like the Grateful Dead, the atmosphere reflects the owner's taste and so do some of the names of the beers. The wife and I love the place.
Will definitely check it out. Thank you.

Whatever you do DO NOT SET ONE FOOT IN DUPLIN WINERY IN NORTH MYRTLE BEACH (ON 15). Unless of course you like to drink what amounts to pure sugar. I get there is something interesting and unique about wine made from prominent grapes from North Carolina (scuppernong, muscadine), but imagine the sweetest wine you've ever had - and triple it. Wife and I did a tasting a few years ago and I gave my complimentary glass of wine to another customer. I guess the good thing is that's it's relatively cheap wine and doesn't portend to be anything else. Still, if you think this is the same kind of wine you would get at a restaurant, you're in for a surprise...

Whatever you do DO NOT SET ONE FOOT IN DUPLIN WINERY IN NORTH MYRTLE BEACH (ON 15). Unless of course you like to drink what amounts to pure sugar. I get there is something interesting and unique about wine made from prominent grapes from North Carolina (scuppernong, muscadine), but imagine the sweetest wine you've ever had - and triple it. Wife and I did a tasting a few years ago and I gave my complimentary glass of wine to another customer. I guess the good thing is that's it's relatively cheap wine and doesn't portend to be anything else. Still, if you think this is the same kind of wine you would get at a restaurant, you're in for a surprise...

Wine laws in certain states are odd.
There's probably a class of license which requires them to use NC grapes as they have in VA.
That being said, do not doubt your opinion on the taste.

LdN

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
We always liked Margaritaville when we have gone. We usually stay at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation. We have family in New York and eat pizza at a place called Capriccio and there happens to be one in Myrtle Beach owned by the same family.

Lol. It is a southern sweet wine. Too funny.

We are about 10-15 minutes up the road from broadway on 17 just inside north Myrtle beach just past barefoot landing. Let me know when you are coming in. We are open 7-2pm. Kitchen table.

We are about 10-15 minutes up the road from broadway on 17 just inside north Myrtle beach just past barefoot landing. Let me know when you are coming in. We are open 7-2pm. Kitchen table.
Absolutely. Thanks.

As Raz mentioned, you have to try the Kitchen Table. Another great breakfast place is Johnny D's. They were voted best waffles in South Carolina by the Food Network. Chuck's Steakhouse, Angelo's steak house, Chestnut Hill (Not far from the Kitchen table), Brisket (Up the road from the Kitchen Table) Benito's for Pizza (Also up the road from the Kitchen Table, and very close to Brisket. Personally, I try to stay away from the all you can eat deep fried seafood buffets. Everything tends to taste the same. However, if you want something like that the Original Benjamins is an experience you will remember, just for the sheer amount of food they offer.

Restaurant Row in the north part of Myrtle Beach has some good options within a few blocks.

https://www.myrtlebeach.com/restaurants/myrtle-beach-restaurant-row-dining-guide/
Two of the best restaurants in Myrtle Beach are about 15 miles north of Broadway at the Beach in Little River --- The Brentwood (chef/owner is classic French trained and lived there for several years) and The Parson's Table (a converted church, also with an excellent chef/owner). They are on opposite sides of Rt. 17 N. very close to each other. The owner humbly introduced himself to you in a post just ahead of this one, but it really is hard to beat breakfast or lunch at The Kitchen Table, about 10 miles north of BATB opposite Barefoot Landing in NMB. Home cooking, large portions, nice menu variety, and very reasonable prices. For the best seafood, head to Murrell's Inlet, about 15 miles south of BATB. The Marsh Walk there has several very popular restaurants, and is a great experience. Love CIAO! in the 50's just three miles north of BATB on Kings Highway N. for Italian (small, so make reservations) and Thoroughbreds on Restaurant Row for fine dining in a classical, traditional, atmosphere (expensive). Chestnut Hill, very near Thoroughbreds, is also very nice with a quite varied menu. I almost forgot The Sea Captain's House, just north of BATB on Ocean Blvd. Great ocean views, nice atmosphere, a very popular after church Sunday Brunch spot, and She Crab soup to die for. If you want the one "must do" if no kids, it would be a visit to Brookgreen Gardens in Murrell's Inlet. It will blow you away (tip --- take their optional boat trip out through the old rice fields and onto the Waccamaw River --- it's at least 50/50 that you'll see some big gators).

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
We always liked Margaritaville when we have gone. We usually stay at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation. We have family in New York and eat pizza at a place called Capriccio and there happens to be one in Myrtle Beach owned by the same family.
No problem with Margaritaville, always enjoy their coconut shrimp, but bring your ear plugs. It's the noisiest restaurant in Myrtle Beach if you sit inside.

Last edited:
You are still being too kind. A horrible grape to start with and, as you say, much too sweet. Undrinkable.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
As Raz mentioned, you have to try the Kitchen Table. Another great breakfast place is Johnny D's. They were voted best waffles in South Carolina by the Food Network. Chuck's Steakhouse, Angelo's steak house, Chestnut Hill (Not far from the Kitchen table), Brisket (Up the road from the Kitchen Table) Benito's for Pizza (Also up the road from the Kitchen Table, and very close to Brisket. Personally, I try to stay away from the all you can eat deep fried seafood buffets. Everything tends to taste the same. However, if you want something like that the Original Benjamins is an experience you will remember, just for the sheer amount of food they offer.
Johnny’s? Please Johnny is a pimp. Lol. He would sell His soul or maybe he has to, to be voted anything. As I tell Johnny. It is a freakin waffle similar ingredients to what we have. I had a cook from doll house tell me he was the chef at doll house and he was recognized by the food network as well. I laughed and said I guess they just give those things away if you ask.

Last edited:
Used to go to Myrtle Beach for the golf. Most courses were ho-hum, but a few were real gems.

Restaurants ... left a lot to be desired. There was a good Italian place called The Roma on Bus 17, but looks like it isn't there any more.

We will be down at our condo in a few weeks. My wife and I will stop by for breakfast one day.

Great pizza place in North Myrtle Beach called Main Slice. The best wings I have ever had (if you like them hot) at Hamburger Joe's in North Myrtle Beach.

Reactions: razpsu
If you want to go a little farther south like another poster said Brooke green gardens is really cool across the street is Huntington State Park go little farther south if you want to go to a really nice dinner franks out back down on Pawleys Island can always hit a store in Georgetown or even take a day trip down to Charleston

Angelo's Steak and Pasta. Don't let the name fool you. Best steak in MB. Go for the Big Daddy NY Strip (24 oz.) served sizzling on a cast iron plate.

Thank you all for the recs. Will be sure to try to get to a few of the places mentioned.

One more place to recommend is Dino's in N. Myrtle right on 17. We've never been disappointed for breakfast.

Couple more - Hoskins on Main St. In NMB - nothing fancy but been around forever and solid comfort food. Same with Golden Griddle Pancake House (same street). Most restaurants we eat at every year are the bigger, chain type places at Broadway or Barefoot - they’re fairly predictable and consistent. Most local places haven’t been as good (never been to Kitchen Table) though we usually try a local place for seafood when in the mood.

Couple more - Hoskins on Main St. In NMB - nothing fancy but been around forever and solid comfort food. Same with Golden Griddle Pancake House (same street). Most restaurants we eat at every year are the bigger, chain type places at Broadway or Barefoot - they’re fairly predictable and consistent. Most local places haven’t been as good (never been to Kitchen Table) though we usually try a local place for seafood when in the mood.

Dudes seriously? I would hope you would come here for breakfast and support an alumni. This place has been here for 30 years!

Dudes seriously? I would hope you would come here for breakfast and support an alumni. This place has been here for 30 years!

Oh, I would and will; I just haven't been yet. Have you been the owner there for 30 years? It used to be called something else, right?

Oh, I would and will; I just haven't been yet. Have you been the owner there for 30 years? It used to be called something else, right?
Yes it was called the spring house. It was the number one place forever before Dino’s and Hoskins and Johnny and everyone else. Old
Owners got bored and ran it down hill the last several years they owned it. We are now in our 6th year and 5th as kitchen table. Fresh food, no frozen fruit or compote and we have a large patio overlooking ocean marsh ( only one in Myrtle). By the way we have seafood and a seafood combo, fresh crab cakes ( not breakfast frozen yuck, shrimp and flounder). If it isn’t a wow when we taste it then I do not put it on menu. We have lower prices than everyone and you get 10 percent off for return visit. We reward frequency. Everyone else takes tourists for all they have.

Yes it was called the spring house. It was the number one place forever before Dino’s and Hoskins and Johnny and everyone else. Old
Owners got bored and ran it down hill the last several years they owned it. We are now in our 6th year and 5th as kitchen table. Fresh food, no frozen fruit or compote and we have a large patio overlooking ocean marsh ( only one in Myrtle). By the way we have seafood and a seafood combo, fresh crab cakes ( not breakfast frozen yuck, shrimp and flounder). If it isn’t a wow when we taste it then I do not put it on menu. We have lower prices than everyone and you get 10 percent off for return visit. We reward frequency. Everyone else takes tourists for all they have.
I will be sure to stop in. Thanks!

Reactions: razpsu
Who was the original owners? Springs? I believe they also have one in Murrells inlet

The last one is in murrelet inlet. Different owners. The original guy built 5. He was convicted of tax evasion in the late 90’s. Then other owners basically stole it and kept it for 15 years. They slowly sold all of them. Only one is called spring house.

Reactions: the rigger
Bwahahahaha! More than Chicago! Ya hear that, Raz?
What a crock. Now Myrtle for a few blocks is a little rough at night. I do not bring my family down there after dark.
Saying that. I have lived in the bronx, broad street in philly, east side of dc, and I have worked in and around these cities and Miami And Phoenix and Los Angeles including Compton area. Myrtle is not even close to any of these let along Chicago which is now and has been for ten years, the murder capital and shooting capital of the us.

Take a ride to Charleston for a day walk around and take in the sights then stop at Lewis BBQ before the ride back to Myrtle.

Lewis is one of the best BBQ places in the country

ADVERTISEMENT