ADVERTISEMENT

Headed to Prague, Vienna, Salzburg for summer family vacation... any inputs?

Taking wife and 16 yr old daughter... taking train between cities and cashing in Marriott points for hotels. Never been to any of these cites. Have a few tours scheduled but generally lots of free time to fill. Midnighter?

Will have some Prague stuff soon...

Never been to Prague and only briefly in Viena, but in Salzburg on a tour with my wife in parents some years ago we took the Sound of Music tour and enjoyed it. I was looking forward to shopping in Salzburg but when we got back from the tour it was mid-afternoon on Saturday and the shops had closed for the remainder of the weekend, some until Monday. That was years ago so it may be different now.

I was in Viena airport in 2011 again on my way to Kosice on business. The flight from Viena to Kosice was beautiful, over the mountains. You seem to have the itinerary planned, but on that trip I spent a weekend in Budapest, on our way from Kosice to Belgrade, and it is a beautiful city. Not too far out of your way either.

Other ideas:

- a cable car ride up into the mountains is worth a side trip. We did the one that takes you up to the James Bond, In Her Majesty's Service... outpost/restraunt, looking across at the Eiger, Jungfrau.....in Switzerland. Probably not too far from Salzburg. Wow, the other mountains look like they are so close, but they are so big that they are really far away. Swiss air force jets playing between the mountains. Worth the trip. I believe that cable car base is somewhere near Grindelwald.

- Also not too far from Salzburg are King Ludwig's castles. When we were there we said that it was a destination that we must bring our future children to..... but we have not as of yet.

- Just go out into the country side and find a small town in Austria, stay in a Zimmer, and hike the mountain trials. The countryside is breathtaking - what a beautiful country.

Prague- don't miss the old town center and Charles bridge. Others will fill in their favorite restaurants (been a few years since I was there). It's a great city to just walk around like Salzburg. It's like going back in time.

Vienna is one of my favorite cities. Everywhere you turn there's history. Schonbrunn palace and grounds are worth a tour-

1001-travel-destinations-schonbrunn-palace-beautiful-2.jpg.cf.jpg

Belvedere Palace museum-

5_of_15_-_Belvedere_Palace,_Vienna_-_AUSTRIA.jpg.cf.jpg

St. Stephen's cathedral- (climb to the top for views of the city)-

36396740.jpg.cf.jpg

interior-stephansdom.jpg.cf.jpg

Hofburg Palace-

The-Hofburg-Imperial-Palace_View-of-Hofburg-Palace_3052.jpg.cf.jpg

Imperial burial crypt (Kaisergruft)- (ok it's a crypt with a nondescript entrance off the street but neat to see the tombs of all those famous emperors/ empresses you read about in history class back in the day......at least if you're a history buff like me ;))-

Kaisergruft-Wien-viele%20Verstorbene%20ins%20Licht%20gef%FChrt....jpg.cf.jpg

Circle the Ringstrasse and go to the pedestrian area of central Vienna. Eat at some outdoor restaurants and just observe the locals. You'll feel like you're back in time of the Habsburg empire with the architecture all in the Imperial yellow. One of the most impressive streets in terms of architecture and history. It's not too far from the state Opera House which is worth a visit (or at least a tour) as well. You don't have to be into opera but if you're in Vienna you might as well say you went there.

d1.jpg.cf.jpg

88d9e0831fba430671dfe80e1390f479.jpg.cf.jpg

fe9017cce34f9ced022f43aadd3e57d6.jpg.cf.jpg

You picked some really nice cities to see and should have a great trip.

Taking wife and 16 yr old daughter... taking train between cities and cashing in Marriott points for hotels. Never been to any of these cites. Have a few tours scheduled but generally lots of free time to fill. Midnighter?

For Salzburg, I'll second the sound of music tour idea. Went on it with my wife and three daughters, thinking it was my sacrifice for them, but it wasn't. Great scenery! Also, we took a cable car up into what I think was Mount Untersberg. Very near the city of Salzburg, and spectacular views. You can literally stand in three countries at the same time when you climb to the peak. Also, don't kiss the opportunity to go up to the HohenSalzburg castle. If you like classical music, take in a concert one evening in the castle. Of course, Mozart's birthplace is pretty cool too. In Vienna, there are lots of street musicians in the pedestrian area.

Been to Wein (Vienna) three times and is one of my favorite cities in the world.

1. The Vienna State Opera is on vacation in July and August but a tour of the building is well worth it.
  2. There are many "made for tourists" light classical concerts all year. Try and do one at the historic Musikverein or if that's not available, the Konzerthaus.
  3. Take the No. 1 tram on a complete circuit of the Ring Road. It passes all the famous sites.
  4. Try and get to the Prater Park north of the city and ride the historic Riesenrad wheel. Famously featured in the 1949 classic The Third Man.
  5. Go to the suburb of Grinzing, short metro and tram ride away. Great wine garden restaurants and a relief from the big city. There's a Beethoven house not far away.
  6. Of course the Schonbrunn Palace and the Hofburg Palace are your standard must sees.
  7. If you are there on a Saturday morning, the Nachmarkt (not far from the Ring Road) is famous for it's food and bric-a-brat.
  8. For huge weiner schnitzel, the Figlmuller restaurant is popular with tourists.

I was in Salzburg as a kid and remember going on a tour into the salt mine. It was very cool for a bunch of 14 year old boys. I don't know if your daughter would like it also.

Prague- don't miss the old town center and Charles bridge. Others will fill in their favorite restaurants (been a few years since I was there). It's a great city to just walk around like Salzburg. It's like going back in time.

Vienna is one of my favorite cities. Everywhere you turn there's history. Schonbrunn palace and grounds are worth a tour-

Belvedere Palace museum-

36396740.jpg.cf.jpg

Hofburg Palace-

Imperial burial crypt (Kaisergruft)- (ok it's a crypt with a nondescript entrance off the street but neat to see the tombs of all those famous emperors/ empresses you read about in history class back in the day......at least if you're a history buff like me ;))-

Circle the Ringstrasse and go to the pedestrian area of central Vienna. Eat at some outdoor restaurants and just observe the locals. You'll feel like you're back in time of the Habsburg empire with the architecture all in the Imperial yellow. One of the most impressive streets in terms of architecture and history. It's not too far from the state Opera House which is worth a visit (or at least a tour) as well. You don't have to be into opera but if you're in Vienna you might as well say you went there.

d1.jpg.cf.jpg

Great Stuff!

There are many tours available including the Sound of Music. We did not take it but saw many of the sites.

You will not be far from
Berchtesgaden in Germany. There is Konigsee and Kehlsteinhaus (Eagles Nest).

We also went to Werfen to see the Eisriesenwelt. The largest ice cave in Europe. A bus takes you halfway up the mountain. Then there is a 20 minute walk. This followed by a cable car ride and another 20 minute walk. Views on the way are terrific.

Reactions: LionLen
Sound of Music Tour is great for scenery, not anything regarding the SoM. Go see the Eagles Nest outside of Salzburg. Fantastic scenery from the top.

Lots of great coffeehouses in Vienna but one with historical interest is Cafe Mozart across the street from the State Opera house. The current version was built in 1929 and is the place where Graham Greene wrote most of the screenplay for the Third Man.

In Prague you'll probably want to visit historic Prague Castle situated high on a hill overlooking the river. St. Vitus cathedral on the castle complex grounds is incredible on the inside. Take a walk down the hill through the castle district when finished for an enjoyable stroll.

Prague was not heavily bombed during the war, so a lot of the buildings are original and well preserved. It's easy to get turned around and lost in the narrow and sometimes nameless streets in Old Town Prague. Make sure you have good navigational tools.

Nothing to add but just a well done by those who posted here. This Board is great for getting information about so many subjects like these. Interesting to read and get ideas about future travel from those with real plans. Enjoy your trip.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Don't overwhelm (aka bore) your daughter with historical stuff, but that said, perhaps you can can play short segments of the most popular "classical music pieces" and then ask her:

1. Do you recognize this song?
2. Do you know where it originates?

You might just spark her interest in Viennan waltzes

History buff? Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden is a must. You can also do a boat ride on the Konigsee there to make a nice day's excursion. From Vienna an excursion to the Monestary in Melk is worthwhile as is an excursion to Bratislavia. If you are into bicycling, the Danube bike trail that runs through Vienna is an option. Bike are easy to rent and you can take them on trains to get to/from an interesting starting and ending town. Or for more casual rides there are lots of nice bike trails on the Danube Island in Vienna too. There's a nudist beach on the island so maybe you could organize a wrong turn. If you are by chance a biology type, the Mendel Museum at the Augistinean Abbey in Brno is an interesting stop and it's on the train line between Vienna and Prague. Enjoy the hotel buffet breakfasts as well as the local restaurants in these cities. They are pretty good.

Similarly went to Prague and Vienna with my teenagers three summers ago. We organized it our selves with the help of my Uncle who lives in Prague. It's tough keeping adolescents entertained! They're favorite thing was going off and exploring on their own (not alone however). Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, and Old Town Square were perfect for this. We did the Old Jewish Cemetery, Ghosts and Legends Tour by Haunted Prague (very fun and informative). Had a very good meal, and view at night, in Old Town square at Starometska Restaurace. When we were there Budvar released an unfiltered Lager which most restaurants carried on tap. Wish we could get it here!

Vienna we stayed a few nights not far from St. Stephen's cathederal. Touring Schoenbrunn is a must. The zoo and maze, near there, was a lot of fun as well. I'm not a big museum person but the Natural History and Art museum there were both entertaining. Here again, our kids enjoyed going off and getting dinner on their own. Keep all travel bag zipped up tight and hold on to your cash as there are pickpockets galore.

We ate breakfast mostly at the hotel, but if you find a place that serves authentic Kolache and or open faced sandwiches, Go For It! Got to look for the ones where crust is a cross between a sweet roll and a flaky croissant. Tried some from a bakery in Columbus, OH last week and it was a poor institutionalized substitue.

I'm envious, have an awesome time.

I'll echo some of the other comments on Salzburg. It's a great city in a beautiful region. The fortress, high atop a hill overlooking the river, is of course worth a visit.

High above the Salzbach river sits a towering fortress which was first started in the 11th century. A short funicular ride gets you from river level up to the castle, which offers panoramic vistas of the city. Photo ©The Honeymoon Guy.

The beautiful gardens of Mirabelplatz are wonderful for an early morning stroll. Fans of the Sound of Music will be particularly fond of the site, as it is featured prominently in the movie. Photo ©The Honeymoon Guy.

If you have the time, consider heading out to the countryside - it's incredibly picturesque. We did a day-trip to Mondsee. The little town, and its chapel, were really cool and the manmade elements (piers, inflatable rock wall, etc.) in Lake Mondsee made it a fun stop also.

Aldous Huxley: “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” Photo of Mondsee, Austria, ©The Honeymoon Guy.

Outside of downtown Salzburg you'll find storybook fields and mountains. We took in this view on our ride with Fraulein Maria's Bike Tour. Photo ©The Honeymoon Guy.

Hope that helps! If you have any questions on Salzburg, post them and I'll answer if I can!

More info here: http://thehoneymoonguy.com/tag/salzburg/

Reactions: psu00

Don't have a lot to add - never spent much time in Vienna, but Prague I know a thing or two about Prague (also know a thing or two about the folks at the embassy - it's what happens when you get into the Czech Republic using only a military leave order and don't have a passport to return to Germany....long story :).

Since I was a poor solider when I went, we stayed a bit outside the main part of the city at a B&B owned by this lovely Czech woman who was great to U.S. folks (and accepted U.S. dollars...) because her son was a student in the U.S. She took the cash and sent it to him and made sure the fridge was stocked with meat, bread and beer each day. She also got metro tickets for us to take downtown. But, I'd try to stay downtown if you can. Anyway, don't remember much about places to eat but the food was pretty good and hearty (potatoes, meat, soups, bread, etc.). The best thing though is the beer - my favorite was Krusovic - grab some if you can.

Cool things to see are the Old Town (Starometska) - lots of old buildings and wonderful architecture (Prague is gothic AF - great place to wander the streets at night hoping to run into a Golem...). You can't miss the Astronomical Clock and there are a few other tourist traps downtown - we did the torture museum and while cool, it could be in any city. Of course recommend walking to and exploring the Prague Castle - it's not like most traditional castles; more a series of interconnected buildings and cathedrals (such as St. Vitas below). Very cool place for photos.

c-prague-st-vitus-cathedral-1.jpg.aspx

Franz Kafka's house can be found pretty close by too - No. 22 (the blue one):

franz_kafka_house__no_22_.jpg

Would also recommend checking out the Alphonse Mucha museum; maybe the most celebrated artist in Czech history. His stuff is everywhere (believe there is a stained glass mural in St. Vitas Cathedral too) and has been copied to death. Amazing Art Deco work...can probably get a cool print pretty cheap.

mucha.cz

Zodiac.jpg

Charles Bridge is also really great - lots of vendors selling art and stuff but get a book or guide with some knowledge of the history of the bridge - each sculpture represents something/someone unique and has it's own story.

08.jpg

Prague, like Amsterdam, is full of ex-pats. Will almost certainly find English speakers nearly every bar you go to. Have a great time! Been a while since I've been but hopefully this is helpful!

i lived in Vienna for 3 years and really enjoyed the highlights that others have listed such as Shonbrunn, Hofburg, Stefanzplatz and Naschmarkt, but the Wienerwald is really what i miss. Here are a couple things that you can check out if you like to hike:
1. Heuriger in Grinzing - From the ringstrasse, take street car D to towards Nussdorf and dont get off until the end of the line at Beethovengang. Walk up Grinzingerstrasse until you find a trail head and enjoy a nice stroll through the vineyards and stop at a heuriger (a winery) along the trail.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190454-d1913436-Reviews-Beethovengang-Vienna.html
Nothing quite like it!

2. Lanzier Tiergarten - another awesome hike through the former hunting ground of the Austrian royalty - take the subway U4 to the Huttledorf stop and then cross the highway and follow signs to the 'Tor' (Door). I recommend hiking the entire length of the tour and having a meal at Hermesville. It is an awesome house at the other end of the trail. You dont have to hike back to the starting point - you can get public transport back from nearby to Hermesville.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190454-d240968-Reviews-Lainzer_Tiergarten-Vienna.html

I have also spent quite a bit of time in Salzburg. The coolest place to have a beer and a meal is Die Weisse. A great beergarden a little off the beaten path.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...269388-Die_Weisse-Salzburg_Austrian_Alps.html
The Stiegl brewery in Salzburg is also really nice.

Let me know if you want any other suggestions!

You've picked 3 great cities to visit for your European vacation. I vacationed in Salzburg 4 summers ago, and did a Prague & Vienna trip 2 summers ago. Ironically enough, typing this from Amsterdam Schipol Airport, in the midst of this summer's European vacation with my wife & daughters.

Some input for you:
-Absolutely loved Salzburg & the surrounding Alps region. Do the Sound of Music tour. Someone else mentioned on this thread already about cable car up Untersburg Mountain...recommend that as well. Incredible views of the Alps from there.
-Get a car while in Salzburg & take in some of the surrounding area. Highly recommend seeing Hallstatt....incredibly beautiful little village on a lake, at base of Alps. Mondsee is also beautiful, and will be one of your stops on Sound of Music Tour.
-Beautiful buildings all over Prague, many of which in vicinity of Old Town Square & Wenceslas Square. Climbing to top of Astronomical Clock Tower will provide you with breathtaking views of city. Outside cafes galore all over Prague. Prague Castle worth seeing. Check out restaurant called Vytopna in Wenceslas Square. Drinks are served table side via an elaborate model train setup...may sound cheesy, but pretty cool to see.
-Several beautiful buildings throughout Vienna. For something different there, we took in an opera performance at the Vienna Opera House (we're not opera fans, but wanted to experience an event there).
-For all 3 cities (plus many others in Europe), we relied extensively on Trip Advisor for restaurant suggestions. For the most part, Trip Advisor did not steer us wrong.

Hope you have a great time.

Belvedere Palace museum-

36396740.jpg.cf.jpg

Hofburg Palace-

d1.jpg.cf.jpg

+1 On the Charles Bridge. It's been almost twenty years since I was there. I was in Prague for about 2 1/2 days. Have Pilsner while over there since Pilsen is where this beer was created.

The astronomical clock is kind of neat as well:

From Salzburg get out into the hills in the
Salzkammergut region and explore the lakes and little villages. If you venture out a must see is the village of Hallstatt - incredible on so many levels.

For huge weiner schnitzel, the Figlmuller restaurant is popular with tourists.
I know it's touristy, and I generally try to avoid dining at touristy locations, but I really liked this place. Plan ahead, it gets very crowded. Their schnitzel is so big it literally hangs off the edge of the plate. I've also had schnitzel at a locals restaurant and I honestly thought Figlmuller's was better.

Vienna is also known for the Sacher torte (chocolate cake) from the Hotel (or Cafe) Sacher. I had it just to say I did given it's fame, but really it can be skipped. I enjoyed sitting at their outdoor tables people-watching more than the cake itself. It wasn't bad, but it didn't amaze me either. The hotel is in the heart of the pedestrian friendly center of Vienna so it's a good place to rest your legs, which as with all European cities, will likely need the rest. If you do have a sweet tooth Vienna has a ton of great pastries and goodies to offer at cafes and shops all over town.

For all 3 cities (plus many others in Europe), we relied extensively on Trip Advisor for restaurant suggestions. For the most part, Trip Advisor did not steer us wrong.
I also highly recommend Rick Steves' guides. The last time I did Europe, I used his free app which had free downloadable walking audio guides that were designed to complement the maps in his guide books. Our hotels usually had a copy of his books at the desk so we'd take photos of the maps, load up on the audio guides while connected to wifi, and walk around town with our own free virtual tour guide.

I know it's touristy, and I generally try to avoid dining at touristy locations, but I really liked this place. Plan ahead, it gets very crowded. Their schnitzel is so big it literally hangs off the edge of the plate. I've also had schnitzel at a locals restaurant and I honestly thought Figlmuller's was better.

Vienna is also known for the Sacher torte (chocolate cake) from the Hotel (or Cafe) Sacher. I had it just to say I did given it's fame, but really it can be skipped. I enjoyed sitting at their outdoor tables people-watching more than the cake itself. It wasn't bad, but it didn't amaze me either. The hotel is in the heart of the pedestrian friendly center of Vienna so it's a good place to rest your legs, which as with all European cities, will likely need the rest. If you do have a sweet tooth Vienna has a ton of great pastries and goodies to offer at cafes and shops all over town.
Can't believe I forgot to include the Cafe Mozart. We had great long thin wieners with a mustard sauce, then the Sacher tortes.

i lived in Vienna for 3 years and really enjoyed the highlights that others have listed such as Shonbrunn, Hofburg, Stefanzplatz and Naschmarkt, but the Wienerwald is really what i miss. Here are a couple things that you can check out if you like to hike:
1. Heuriger in Grinzing - From the ringstrasse, take street car D to towards Nussdorf and dont get off until the end of the line at Beethovengang. Walk up Grinzingerstrasse until you find a trail head and enjoy a nice stroll through the vineyards and stop at a heuriger (a winery) along the trail.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190454-d1913436-Reviews-Beethovengang-Vienna.html
Nothing quite like it!
Also there in Grinzing is the little Grinzing Cemetery. Austrians have the most elaborate and artful monuments. Any cemetery is worth a look. Grinzing has the resting place of composer Gustav Mahler.

When I was in Salzburg I did a guided walking tour. It was roughly 2 hours. The tour guide started out very monotone and straight laced ,as the tour continued she seemed to loosen up. By the end of the tour she was absolutely giddy showing us the red light district and explaining that some building damage had dated back to a tank crashing into the wall at the end of the war, apparently the tank drive was looking for something in that area and the road just got too narrow for his tank.

Can't believe I forgot to include the Cafe Mozart. We had great long thin wieners with a mustard sauce, then the Sacher tortes.
I think that's the specific one I was also trying to remember as well, but I was drawing a blank. Some of the desserts in Vienna are crazy good. I love European cities and their dense city centers with pedestrians and outdoor cafes everywhere. Some of my favorite vacation days have been those where I didn't make any plans and just casually hit some cafes, or piazzas in Italy, and just watched the world go by.

Also there in Grinzing is the little Grinzing Cemetery. Austrians have the most elaborate and artful monuments. Any cemetery is worth a look. Grinzing has the resting place of composer Gustav Mahler.
I have walked through that cemetary on numerous occasions. It is such a great hike up that valley and the wineries are wonderful once you learn how to enjoy the Heurigers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT