ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk fan tips hat

hawkjt

Feb 14, 2004
Lions earned that win last nite....very talented team.
We cannot handle Franklin and his shifty QBs
Your stellar recruiting is making you a consistent contender every year.
Your frosh rb is an animal ,just like that 5th year d-tackle.
You will handle Mich.
OSU will be your only comp
Good luck the rest of the way.

I believe your schedule sets up pretty go for you go a run of W’s

You will handle Mich.
Nice post. The times have certainly changed and Franklin’s teams have speed that we never saw at PSU, at least on offense. In the old days Paterno was only about 50 percent likely to defeat Ferentz but Franklin’s staff are doing better vs Iowa. Franklin has problems with Dantonio. Iowa is very good but Ferentz is starting to remind me of Paterno. One side of the ball is excellent, while the offense is not contributing it’s fair share.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
Nice post. The times have certainly changed and Franklin’s teams have speed that we never saw at PSU, at least on offense. In the old days Paterno was only about 50 percent likely to defeat Ferentz but Franklin’s staff are doing better vs Iowa. Franklin has problems with Dantonio. Iowa is very good but Ferentz is starting to remind me of Paterno. One side of the ball is excellent, while the offense is not contributing it’s fair share.

The Paterno of the 60s-95 beats this Iowa team 100 out of 100, the Paterno of the late 90s through 2011 is probably a 50/50 proposition...

The Paterno of the 60s-95 beats this Iowa team 100 out of 100, the Paterno of the late 90s through 2011 is probably a 50/50 proposition...
Hey, I see you stop at 1995, but 1996 was pretty good even though we lost to the Iowa team of that year. This Iowa team doesn't have Tim Dwight.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Hey, I see you stop at 1995, but 1996 was pretty good even though we lost to the Iowa team of that year. This Iowa team doesn't have Tim Dwight.

This is exactly right. Pre-1997 Paterno and post-1997 Paterno are two different dimensions.

The 1997 team opened at #1 but nothing seemed quite right from game 1. I would point to the close win over Minnesota that year as the moment when Paterno basically started losing his grip on the program. And it didn't fully recover until 2005.

Right. Paterno shut down mentally vs Ferentz and Carr. Also Mason sometimes.
I think Mason is OK as an announcer - but he really PO'd me when he did an onside kick to open the games in 2003 and 2004 (had to look up the exact years) and it worked both times. That made 2005 sweet.

I don't know about shutting down mentally - Joe just did what he normally did, but Ferentz and Carr knew it really well. JoePa probably gave Ferentz lifetime employment with some of those wins he got.

I think Mason is OK as an announcer - but he really PO'd me when he did an onside kick to open the games in 2003 and 2004 (had to look up the exact years) and it worked both times. That made 2005 sweet.

I don't know about shutting down mentally - Joe just did what he normally did, but Ferentz and Carr knew it really well. JoePa probably gave Ferentz lifetime employment with some of those wins he got.

Well, I don't know what was going on but some of those Michigan teams were not even good. Carr was totally in his head. As soon as Carr was gone we beat them a few times in a row

Reactions: BBrown

its pretty good coaching to do that when you see a special teams tendency on tape

its pretty good coaching to do that when you see a special teams tendency on tape
I don't remember anyone else trying it. Based on his track record as a coach I don't think Mason was this unique genius coach who saw something nobody else did. If Minnesota had been a huge underdog and we were expected to win the league I would have been fine with it. But we were 3-9 and 4-7 those two years. They could have won without doing it. It just felt like they were almost making fun of us and how bad we were.

I don't remember anyone else trying it. Based on his track record as a coach I don't think Mason was this unique genius coach who saw something nobody else did. If Minnesota had been a huge underdog and we were expected to win the league I would have been fine with it. But we were 3-9 and 4-7 those two years. They could have won without doing it. It just felt like they were almost making fun of us and how bad we were.
you're Glen Mason....coaching at Minnesota....you probably take every bit you can get toward keeping your job

that's probably 90 percent of coaches anywhere really come to think of it

I also think that a lot of the lower tier Big Ten schools back then were of the mindset of "lets kick Penn State while they are down because they will be back up eventually"

nobody outside of your own locker room has any sympathy for you when you're losing

1983? I remember that game well, another porous pass defense allowed the Iowa QB to put up Heisman numbers.....a trend. We were at the end of a thee game losing streak post our 1st NC and rebuilding, Iowa wasn't, either. They, Iowa had a very good team that season and after that loss PSU ran out the schedule with eight straight wins if memory serves.

Mason appeared to like Joe, even wore a tie to coach against PSU to honor Joe. The onside kick was tough the first time but the 2nd was outrageous, on our part for falling for it twice. What would today's fan base say if Franklin fell for the same against MSU in consecutive years?

Franklin is doing a great job and I am a big supporter. Paterno also coached conservatively, but to say Paterno didn’t recruit speed is garbage. Maybe you are too young to remember the 1994 team for example.

You will handle Mich.

hawkjt -- Saturday nite me & a few buddies were talking about making a non-PSU game road trip out to an Iowa game. 1. It looks awesome, and 2. we want to take part in the wave to the Children's Hospital and then on Sunday morning make a donation in person..... Where would you recommend that we try to stay? Hotel recommendations? We want to do this on a non-PSU game because we want to come in peace and just take in the atmosphere and the Children's Hosp.

Franklin is doing a great job and I am a big supporter. Paterno also coached conservatively, but to say Paterno didn’t recruit speed is garbage. Maybe you are too young to remember the 1994 team for example.

Absolutely agree. The problem back then was that Paterno actually played right into Ferentz' hands. Despite usually having the speed/skill advantage, for some reason Paterno decided to play Iowa conservatively, between the Tackles and get into a slug-fest with them. This made it an "Iowa type game".

@AldenT taking no prisoners

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet, but when The Wave happened, PSU barely acknowledged it. Maybe 5-7 players waved, and their guys meeting on the field basically didn’t at all, but even players doing nothing on their bench but sitting there ignored it.

Just count me as surprised. You’d think Penn St, of all people, would be sensitive to the plight of sick kids, so I was....yeah, kind of disappointed in their lack of participation compared to all of the other visiting teams I’ve seen do it.

Anyway, hopefully they put more effort into it next time around.

PSU raises more money for kids than just about any organization on earth thru THON. It’s cool that you guys wave though, I bet that makes you feel good.

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet, but when The Wave happened, PSU barely acknowledged it. Maybe 5-7 players waved, and their guys meeting on the field basically didn’t at all, but even players doing nothing on their bench but sitting there ignored it.

Just count me as surprised. You’d think Penn St, of all people, would be sensitive to the plight of sick kids, so I was....yeah, kind of disappointed in their lack of participation compared to all of the other visiting teams I’ve seen do it.

PSU raises more money for kids than just about any organization on earth thru THON. It’s cool that you guys wave though, I bet that makes you feel good.
Yup - lots of rotator cuff strains from patting themselves on the back

Reactions: ralphster
hawkjt -- Saturday nite me & a few buddies were talking about making a non-PSU game road trip out to an Iowa game. 1. It looks awesome, and 2. we want to take part in the wave to the Children's Hospital and then on Sunday morning make a donation in person..... Where would you recommend that we try to stay? Hotel recommendations? We want to do this on a non-PSU game because we want to come in peace and just take in the atmosphere and the Children's Hosp.

I know you said you want to go on a none PSU weekend because you want to go in peace. I’ll just say this, a group of 10 of us went out for the game this weekend, there fans were awesome. We had a great time. Friday night we went out for dinner and drinks and all we heard was “Welcome to Iowa, enjoy the game.” Saturday we parked across the street from the stadium and partied all day with their fans and couldn’t of had more fun. They were great! I’m not going to lie we heard a few comments here and there but 95 out of 100 people were cool.

I was concerned going out about how we would be received and it couldn’t have been better. I guess what I’m trying to say is you don’t need to go on an off weekend. At the end of the day most people are good people If you treat them right they’ll treat you right.

I know you said you want to go on a none PSU weekend because you want to go in peace. I’ll just say this, a group of 10 of us went out for the game this weekend, there fans were awesome. We had a great time. Friday night we went out for dinner and drinks and all we heard was “Welcome to Iowa, enjoy the game.” Saturday we parked across the street from the stadium and partied all day with their fans and couldn’t of had more fun. They were great! I’m not going to lie we heard a few comments here and there but 95 out of 100 people were cool.

I was concerned going out about how we would be received and it couldn’t have been better. I guess what I’m trying to say is you don’t need to go on an off weekend. At the end of the day most people are good people If you treat them right they’ll treat you right.

Yes. I'd agree. Never been to an Iowa game at Iowa, but been to many at Beaver Stadium and I'd say their fans are excellent. IMO, the two best NON-Penn State fan bases in the B1G are Wiscy & Iowa. They are usually very polite, cordial and just want to have a fun time.

What a jag.

PSU raises more money for kids than just about any organization on earth thru THON. It’s cool that you guys wave though, I bet that makes you feel good.[/QUOTE

Thank you Judge.

Playing you guys is like a trip to the dentist! Not many teams I have more respect for than Iowa and Ferentz. Good luck the rest of the way

Yes. I'd agree. Never been to an Iowa game at Iowa, but been to many at Beaver Stadium and I'd say their fans are excellent. IMO, the two best NON-Penn State fan bases in the B1G are Wiscy & Iowa. They are usually very polite, cordial and just want to have a fun time.

Totally agree with this statement. Not coincidentally, Madison and Iowa City are my two favorite Big Ten road trips.

Lol at BlacknGoldBleeder over there. Guy is about to have a heart attack. So much rage

They don't even have Wrestling anymore.
iu

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
You will handle Mich.

Thank you and hope you guys win the West !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT