ADVERTISEMENT

Have you bought or will you be buying a ticket for Saturday's Powerball lottery?

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
I rarely buy lottery tickets, but the lure of the BIG ONE has me planning to buy a few tickets. The jackpot for Saturday's Powerball lottery is $620 million and growing.

My wife and I have formed a Covid group ("Germ Group") with two neighboring couples, and occasionally buy lottery tickets to distribute at joint dinner parties when the lottery features a big jackpot. I will probably buy thirty (30) $2 tickets, with each couple plunking in $20 and everyone sharing whatever proceeds we might happen to win. I realize this is almost certainly a losing proposition, but it is fun, and provides some fodder for entertaining dinner conversation. ("What would you do with $100 million?" Yada, yada, yada.).

I'm curious as to whether other Board members buy lottery tickets, either regularly or (as I do) occasionally., and anticipate that responses will, as usual here, be all over the map.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Bought 2 QP good luck (occasionally)

I bought two picks. I know it’s throwing money away but I also buy $20 bottles of barrel aged beer regularly too. So throwing money away really comes down to how much of my income is truly disposable. $4 per round when the pot hits nine figures is within my tolerance for wasting cash.

Lotteries are just a form of "taxation of the ignorant". That said, sure I'm going to buy a few tickets in hopes of ending up like this guy (although my trophy-dolly will be much cuter and dumber) :cool:

download%20%2812%29_8.jpg

Lottery= a tax on people who can't do math

on the other hand...

I've never bought one.

But what I don't understand is... what the hell difference does it make if you win 80 million or 600 million?
Approx $43 mil vs $260
Tough to live like a king on $43 mil these days
Actually, I be very happy to win $500,000 net to supplement SS & my pension investments

Last edited:
Reactions: Bird-in-Hand boy
Former buddy of mine’s parents won over 200 million our senior year of high school. They got lost, pulled over at a wawa to ask for directions and bought a ticket. A couple of friends who stayed in touch with them over the years have said they’ve become pretty terrible people.

The emoji didn’t fool me for an instant.
Is my few seconds a shorter time interval than your instant?
Is mine shorter or longer than yours?

"A husband and wife are trying to set up a new password for their computer. The husband puts, in

"penis," and the wife falls on the ground laughing because on the screen it says, "Error. Not long enough."

Last edited:
I occasionally do if I'm stopping at the liquor store on a Friday evening. I figure if I get light beer I've saved five bucks and can get a couple tickets

I do. But I don't go out-of-the-way to buy one. I usually play a game having better odds and consequently, a lower payout, than Power Ball or Mega Millions. There's almost always a winner on Texas Two Step.

A couple of friends who stayed in touch with them over the years have said they’ve become pretty terrible people.
Did they become terrible people? Or did they get tired of all the hands begging for cash? If I win, I’m heading out where my brother lives. I won’t stick out in his neighborhood.

Reactions: odshowtime
Did they become terrible people? Or did they get tired of all the hands begging for cash? If I win, I’m heading out where my brother lives. I won’t stick out in his neighborhood.

They moved to Florida although the town I grew up in they would have been fine sticking around. I’ve seen some interviews his fathers done and he’s become a giant douche. Started a business ruining, sorry restoring, 60s muscle cars. They’re pretty riced out/cringeworthy. Also wrote an article in a local paper about how Ferraris are great way to attract women and has the Ferrari crest tattooed on his bicep. They were pretty humble blue collar growing up.

Reactions: BW Lion
I rarely buy lottery tickets, but the lure of the BIG ONE has me planning to buy a few tickets. The jackpot for Saturday's Powerball lottery is $620 million and growing.

My wife and I have formed a Covid group ("Germ Group") with two neighboring couples, and occasionally buy lottery tickets to distribute at joint dinner parties when the lottery features a big jackpot. I will probably buy thirty (30) $2 tickets, with each couple plunking in $20 and everyone sharing whatever proceeds we might happen to win. I realize this is almost certainly a losing proposition, but it is fun, and provides some fodder for entertaining dinner conversation. ("What would you do with $100 million?" Yada, yada, yada.).

I'm curious as to whether other Board members buy lottery tickets, either regularly or (as I do) occasionally., and anticipate that responses will, as usual here, be all over the map.
Yes, why not?

Of course, I'd piss away the $2 somewhere else anyway..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT