ADVERTISEMENT

Have we ever struggled

wlawn

Sep 27, 2016
so much with Special Teams? I know we had issues with FG and punting in the past but in 6 games, 2 on side kicks, fake punt, and almost had a fake FG work.

so much with Special Teams? I know we had issues with FG and punting in the past but in 6 games, 2 on side kicks, fake punt, and almost had a fake FG work.

First year under O'Brien special teams were pretty bad due to departures IIRC. Obviously everyone remembers ficken vs UVA.

How does a fake FG almost work?? It either works or it doesn't, there's no "almost".

I saw the thread title and immediately thought, "Every time I get into bed." :(

We've been abused by trick plays on special teams for years...Joe, OB, Franklin.

I exaggerate, but on kick returns, we're better of taking the fair catch inside the 25. At this point, we're probably better off playing for the onsides kick on kickoffs and keeping base defense in for punt returns. Those that aren't fair caught usually result in a penalty pushing us backward.

We've been abused by trick plays on special teams for years...Joe, OB, Franklin.

I exaggerate, but on kick returns, we're better of taking the fair catch inside the 25. At this point, we're probably better off playing for the onsides kick on kickoffs and keeping base defense in for punt returns. Those that aren't fair caught usually result in a penalty pushing us backward.
Happens to a lot of teams--that's why they are used...

ADVERTISEMENT