ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to the Hawkeyes

LOL - here it starts. Just pull points out of thin air. CONSERVATIVELY 56 points.

Spencer - okay, give him 24
Kemerer scored 12.5, probably on the lower end without bonus but 4th wasn't out of the realm of possibility with who was entering 174.
Marinelli had his highest finish ever and I think most acknowledged 5th was possible for him. Got a free 2 points from forfeit also. All reports are he's healthy.

Eierman guaranteed 20 (so he's a lock over Lee) evidently.
Go ahead and give the Hawks their "Conservative" 56 points. They still lose 131.5-130. He should have added them up first and been less "Conservative" Ha Ha :)

Reactions: nitlion6
It does seem like the environment makes a difference. When nationals come around the Hawks seem to tighten up and not perform like we expect them too.
The Lions seem to wrestle looser for the most part.
What Spencer did last year was nothing short of amazing, but when you listen to his interview it seemed like he was under an incredible amount of pressure.
It's a reflection of coaching. Cael doesn't get all worked up and rarely do you see them yelling and jumping around during the match. The instructions and training have been done in the room and the guys know what to do.

If Cael believed in gambling, he would be a hell of a poker player.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Nice interview He actually talks like Tom Brands at different points of the interview.
Just reading this thread now (almost a week later), but I had the exact same thought as I watched his interview. Certain mannerisms/voice inflections were very similar. Shows the influence.

Hearing the Suriano press conference, he really was into talking about his fears out there. I mean he went non stop about it. I think Nick would have been best to have stayed at PSU and embraced the culture there. Maybe he would have learned wrestling is just one small part of life and fear of losing is a waste..
We hear a lot of wrestlers talk about how much they learned about life from our coaches. A central part of that for our coaches seems to be communicating that there are more important things than sports. Our coaches are passionate about wrestling, but they live for something bigger than wrestling--and that ends up taking a lot of pressure off. It reminds me of something Tony Dungy said about players and faith. He said that players of faith, who knew that there was something more important than football, often played more freely without choking (paraphrase). I think we see that a lot with our PSU wrestlers. They want to win as much as anybody else, but many know that their identity is not ultimately rooted in winning.

• Love
Reactions: johnstownsteel

One of the few hawks I would root for.
This guy was nothing but a class act 100% of the time.
He was asked if he wanted to stay in wrestling after his last match and he was very hesitant and said he can't answer that right now but then added I do love wrestling though. You can tell he definitely needs a long long break right now.

One of the few hawks I would root for.
This guy was nothing but a class act 100% of the time.
Mike Kemerer. PIAA State Champ; 4x State Finalist. 5x NCAA All-American.

In high school, he beat Verk, H. Hidlay, Scottie Parker and even Cenzo a couple of times (at 106!) His SV loss to Cenzo in the state finals was an epic match.

Thank you for the privilege of watching you wrestle for so many years.

Last edited:
Iowa wrestling and HR are two entirely different animals. The Iowa Hawkeye wrestling team is full of a bunch of guys you would want on your side in any conflict, and HR is full of guys you wouldn't want on your property for any reason. I have many close friends who are a little frustrated by the PSU domination of the past decade, but most aren't falling on any swords over the situation. PSU was the sleeping giant and it was awakened like few could imagine. 1. Best high school talent by far. 2. Best coaching staff by far. 3. well funded. 4. In the best wrestling conference. 5. Best RTC 6. best message board warriors. Iowa is down a rung or two in almost every area and down a few more rungs as far as in state talent. This was always going to happen.
TnT won't stop trying to win. The guys in that program will continue to wrestle with guts and determination. Most programs would be beyond thrilled to be in Iowa's position, but there are the vocal few who consider that program a mess. I hope the real fans take the time to appreciate guys like Kemdog,Warner, and Young who represent the school and the state and make even a Cyclone fan proud to call them neighbors. Much to be proud of in Iowa City imo.

Iowa wrestling and HR are two entirely different animals. The Iowa Hawkeye wrestling team is full of a bunch of guys you would want on your side in any conflict, and HR is full of guys you wouldn't want on your property for any reason. I have many close friends who are a little frustrated by the PSU domination of the past decade, but most aren't falling on any swords over the situation. PSU was the sleeping giant and it was awakened like few could imagine. 1. Best high school talent by far. 2. Best coaching staff by far. 3. well funded. 4. In the best wrestling conference. 5. Best RTC 6. best message board warriors. Iowa is down a rung or two in almost every area and down a few more rungs as far as in state talent. This was always going to happen.
TnT won't stop trying to win. The guys in that program will continue to wrestle with guts and determination. Most programs would be beyond thrilled to be in Iowa's position, but there are the vocal few who consider that program a mess. I hope the real fans take the time to appreciate guys like Kemdog,Warner, and Young who represent the school and the state and make even a Cyclone fan proud to call them neighbors. Much to be proud of in Iowa City imo.
Wonderful post!

Hey Kyle Bowlsby, how about while your pencil is still warm you try this one.

Go back and recalculate the * 2020/2021 Covid year and adjust for the Ivys being AWOL. Use this year's performance as a guide to where the Hawks would have performed had the tourney been full. Do so for PSU as well.

Oops you just took away Iowa's only title in a decade, and we go 9 of 10 baby!!!

Last edited:

Go back and recalculate the * 2020/2021 Covid year and adjust for the Ivys being AWOL. Use this year's performance as a guide to where the Hawks would have performed had the tourney been full. Do so for PSU as well.

Oops you just took away Iowa's only title in a decade, and we go 9 of 10 baby!!!
idiotic-happy.gif

Wonderful post!
Thank you. I spend more than a little of my time hacking on Hawkeye fans, but as a Cyclone I can admit I'm jealous of the success they have had and would love to have that type of success in Ames. I honestly think a little humility has been good for my Hawkeye buddies. There are two types of wrestlers in this world- the humble one and the one about to be humbled. ISU has been served about all of the humble pie I care to eat. I had an inside view when Iowa dominated and we were number 2 or 3 . It sucked. We accused them of cheating, bashed on Dan Gable as a traitor and all kinds of silliness at times. We always see people not for what they are but for what we are.

I imagine that the vocal few Iowa wrestling fans who consider the program a mess would likely find some good company with a vocal few PSU football fans. Old gods die hard.

Could you type out the math when you get a moment. I love to see this in print. For a friend, of course.

Reactions: danoftw
I imagine that the vocal few Iowa wrestling fans who consider the program a mess would likely find some good company with a vocal few PSU football fans. Old gods die hard.
When we start to gain our identity through the success of others, and have our sense of well-being determined by that, we're in big trouble!! I think that's behind a lot of bitter, angry comments on the boards.

Thank you. I spend more than a little of my time hacking on Hawkeye fans, but as a Cyclone I can admit I'm jealous of the success they have had and would love to have that type of success in Ames. I honestly think a little humility has been good for my Hawkeye buddies. There are two types of wrestlers in this world- the humble one and the one about to be humbled. ISU has been served about all of the humble pie I care to eat. I had an inside view when Iowa dominated and we were number 2 or 3 . It sucked. We accused them of cheating, bashed on Dan Gable as a traitor and all kinds of silliness at times. We always see people not for what they are but for what we are.
There is a lot of truth in that last line and your thoughts on humility. Thank you for reminding all of us that character and a little introspection and humility isn't important just for the wrestlers but for us posters as well. I really do appreciate the posters here who see beyond just their love for wrestling and understand that there are more important things in life.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Wait what. Your a cyclone fan. Funny story over the summer I ended up at my brother's at the UP in Michigan. There was a large family get together and I ran into a cyclone fan while there. His father and mother went to Iowa state and man did he not like Iowa wrestling. To his credit he didn't disrespect Iowa at all just fan stuff like can't wait to beat them some year. Funny thing his brother and sister went to Iowa so there's always contention in the house around holidays. Great guy

Wait what. Your a cyclone fan. Funny story over the summer I ended up at my brother's at the UP in Michigan. There was a large family get together and I ran into a cyclone fan while there. His father and mother went to Iowa state and man did he not like Iowa wrestling. To his credit he didn't disrespect Iowa at all just fan stuff like can't wait to beat them some year. Funny thing his brother and sister went to Iowa so there's always contention in the house around holidays. Great guy
I wrestled at ISU( I use the term loosely) as I was mostly a room guy who took savage beatings from a couple of hammers. Most of my family are Hawkeye fans and two of my siblings are Iowa graduates. I am a wrestling fan first, a Cyclone wrestling fan second, and a Cael fan third. I have been there in the best of times and the worst of times. We are starting to land recruits. Times are getting better, but we are a long way from being a trophy contender. I remain optimistic about the current staff and I really believe Brent Metcalf was and is a special wrestler/coach.

We are starting to land recruits. Times are getting better, but we are a long way from being a trophy contender.

ISU got a nice late pickup with Gaitan. He really came on strong the last year+. Recent wins over Haines and Riggins. Don't remember how the Haines match went, but he put on a tough ride getting backs on Riggins at NOC. I really like Swiderski too.

ISU got a nice late pickup with Gaitan. He really came on strong the last year+. Recent wins over Haines and Riggins. Don't remember how the Haines match went, but he put on a tough ride getting backs on Riggins at NOC. I really like Swiderski too.
This class is the best we have had in quite some time if all goes well. Much ground to cover, but at least we are moving.

Reactions: jrod65
I wrestled at ISU( I use the term loosely) as I was mostly a room guy who took savage beatings from a couple of hammers. Most of my family are Hawkeye fans and two of my siblings are Iowa graduates. I am a wrestling fan first, a Cyclone wrestling fan second, and a Cael fan third. I have been there in the best of times and the worst of times. We are starting to land recruits. Times are getting better, but we are a long way from being a trophy contender. I remain optimistic about the current staff and I really believe Brent Metcalf was and is a special wrestler/coach.

What year did you graduate from ISU?

ADVERTISEMENT