ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to the Hawkeyes

He just saw his teammates get obliterated, several of whom made a lot of sacrifices to come back and win another title and they had just one finalist who lost. Throw on top, a little of his own guilt for being out (rational or irrational), and it's forgivable if the kid pisses and moans a bit.

I dislike HR and TnT, but I can appreciate the effort all the wrestlers put into this sport. There's plenty to knock TnT on, but that interview is right after a tough finals loss for his guy and after an emotional 3 days. His responses were fine IMO

I dislike HR and TnT, but I can appreciate the effort all the wrestlers put into this sport. There's plenty to knock TnT on, but that interview is right after a tough finals loss for his guy and after an emotional 3 days. His responses were fine IMO
I agree with this statement. Personally, I hope TnT sticks around for another 20+ years. By that time we should be 135-15 in semi matches and have about 120 Champions. I like it.

Nice interview He actually talks like Tom Brands at different points of the interview.
As I listened to wrestlers (Penn State and non-PSU) being interviewed at NCAAs, it seemed that quite a few of them do sound like their coaches (style of speech, mannerisms, etc). Some of the Penn Staters (I think it was Aaron) use the interjection "right?" at the end of a statement, much like Cael does. That's just one example, but I saw other examples as well.

As I listened to wrestlers (Penn State and non-PSU) being interviewed at NCAAs, it seemed that quite a few of them do sound like their coaches (style of speech, mannerisms, etc). Some of the Penn Staters (I think it was Aaron) use the interjection "right?" at the end of a statement, much like Cael does. That's just one example, but I saw other examples as well.
DeSanto's speech patterns sound almost exactly like Brands.

OTOH, Ferrari sounds absolutely nothing like Smith.

I appreciate the positive comments from the genuine posters here. I know who you are.. Much respect.

This year never really felt quite right from the start for my Hawkeyes. Lot's of derailments along the way. No need to bring them up as you already know them. Such is life in general. Frankly, I'm surprised Iowa managed to get 3rd all things considered.

Kemerer, Marinelli, DeSanto, Eierman and Young will be greatly missed. I have great memories of each of those guys at Iowa to take with me. Some guys are followers, those guys are leaders.

Again, congrats on the championship! It's a great feeling to have as a fan. Like Dean said in his interview, having that composure.. Lots of poise on your team throughout. Impressive.
Prick! I hate giving you "likes".

It does seem like the environment makes a difference. When nationals come around the Hawks seem to tighten up and not perform like we expect them too.
The Lions seem to wrestle looser for the most part.
What Spencer did last year was nothing short of amazing, but when you listen to his interview it seemed like he was under an incredible amount of pressure.

You know I'll always hate Iowa; but this year I found myself feeling sorry for these guys, especially after making a "seven years of college down the drain" post and a "it's only January and Marinelli already choked" post.

The more I watched them come out, the more I couldn't help they looked beat up. Then I realized something, they generally didn't get better over their time in Iowa.

Going to Iowa means a good wrestler flounders, going to Penn State generally means that a good or even great wrestler becomes better.

Reactions: Ski
Very modest as well. I have not seen this side of Spencer.
The whiney bitch side? Well he does wrestle for the Brands Brothers. Maybe he's just jealous? 🤔 Posts like that make me think he's more of a "power bottom" kind of guy.

Reactions: danoftw
It does seem like the environment makes a difference. When nationals come around the Hawks seem to tighten up and not perform like we expect them too.
The Lions seem to wrestle looser for the most part.
What Spencer did last year was nothing short of amazing, but when you listen to his interview it seemed like he was under an incredible amount of pressure.
I think the best way to describe this is the vibe I get from listening to our wrestlers is that they expect to win and do not fear losing. I think that is a common thread with a lot of champions but what is unique with PSU at this time is that you feel this through so many of our guys, rather than just an isolated guy or two.

Of course it helps when you look around in your room and all you see is winning, winning, winning. It certainly makes it easier to expect good things to happen when you don't have a lot of soul crushing defeats to reflect on. And NCAAs are full of them for many.

The HR can like it or not but Cael should get a great amount of coaching cred for getting that ball rolling. He walks and talks like a guy who is never worried about losing because he expects to win AND he knows there's always something bigger than what you're currently chasing out there. And our guys walk and talk just like that. No fugazi about it either.

I think the best way to describe this is the vibe I get from listening to our wrestlers is that they expect to win and do not fear losing. I think that is a common thread with a lot of champions but what is unique with PSU at this time is that you feel this through so many of our guys, rather than just an isolated guy or two.

Of course it helps when you look around in your room and all you see is winning, winning, winning. It certainly makes it easier to expect good things to happen when you don't have a lot of soul crushing defeats to reflect on. And NCAAs are full of them for many.

The HR can like it or not but Cael should get a great amount of coaching cred for getting that ball rolling. He walks and talks like a guy who is never worried about losing because he expects to win AND he knows there's always something bigger than what you're currently chasing out there. And our guys walk and talk just like that. No fugazi about it either.

Also something Steveson said yesterday -- I don't think about winning, I think about scoring. If you score, you win.

Even though he went elsewhere, it's hard to state the PSU philosophy better than that.

Plus it removes the pressure to win. Just focus on scoring, which is largely under your control.

Also something Steveson said yesterday -- I don't think about winning, I think about scoring. If you score, you win.

Even though he went elsewhere, it's hard to state the PSU philosophy better than that.

Plus it removes the pressure to win. Just focus on scoring, which is largely under your control.
Hearing the Suriano press conference, he really was into talking about his fears out there. I mean he went non stop about it. I think Nick would have been best to have stayed at PSU and embraced the culture there. Maybe he would have learned wrestling is just one small part of life and fear of losing is a waste..

Reactions: goldenanimal
It's as plain as blue and white. I mean black and white that Penn state coaches and Iowa coaches have a vast difference in coaching styles and philosophies which plays itself out in big time matches. The more time that passes the more clearer it will be come for choices that recruits make I remember back in 2016 or 2017 Gibbons did a whole speal on how Cael and Penn state was different in regards to scoring and winning and that other schools needed to take notice. Don't think many have

Hearing the Suriano press conference, he really was into talking about his fears out there. I mean he went non stop about it. I think Nick would have been best to have stayed at PSU and embraced the culture there. Maybe he would have learned wrestling is just one small part of life and fear of losing is a waste..
I hear you but that's wishful thinking. That's not who he ever was.

Creamery Therapy may have gotten all the Pitt out of Geno Morelli, but intravenous Creamery treatments wouldn't have worked on Suriano.

I hear you but that's wishful thinking. That's not who he ever was.

Creamery Therapy may have gotten all the Pitt out of Geno Morelli, but intravenous Creamery treatments wouldn't have worked on Suriano.
Oh I agree. I may be mistaken but I thought it was you who pointed out Nicks freshman year that he didn’t seem right fit with the rest of team and didn’t look like he even wanted to be around them. I agreed but kept it to myself so I didn’t get blasted for it. I do enough of that here. Lol

Oh I agree. I may be mistaken but I thought it was you who pointed out Nicks freshman year that he didn’t seem right fit with the rest of team and didn’t look like he even wanted to be around them. I agreed but kept it to myself so I didn’t get blasted for it. I do enough of that here. Lol
If I did, it was only the comparison to Nico -- that during lineup intros, the guys rubbed Nico's head, but Suriano mostly just wanted to be left alone.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
why does everyone think he will eventually take over at Iowa? Makes comments like this and Iowa wasn't thrilled to give the reins to Brands right away either

Reactions: Hotshoe
Let him takeover. Nothing says he can coach. Maybe he can, but he has zero experience.

We have an opening.
Hell no. He would fire Cael and then tell him Iowa has an opening as well as Coe College having academic administration or head softball coach openings for Mrs. Sanderson, her choice.

"That's warning track power right there" ~ Mrs Whamos

She's a savage
giphy.gif

Let him takeover. Nothing says he can coach. Maybe he can, but he has zero experience.
At one point EVERY coach had zero experience, including Cael Spencer could turn out to be the greatest coach ever or very ordinary. No way to tell until it happens or doesn;t as the case may be but dismissing out of hand also denies the history of the success of college wrestling coaches and the list is LONG.

If I had that s*#t bouncing around inside my head I'd have fears too.

ADVERTISEMENT