ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to the Hawkeyes

nerfstate

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah, I might get banned for a thread title like that--but I just wanted to say that it has been fun cheering for our team against a worthy opponent the last 3 years: We have the one that got away in 2020, and Iowa's team did what it needed to to win it all last year. Now that this year's team race is put to bed, I think its worth appreciating a heck of a foe.
  • Spencer is gonna be in the conversation of GOAT--wrestling took a hit when he couldn't compete this year--hope he heals well, and is runner up to Howard next year. Drake is an exciting talent--his best days are ahead of him, and Jesse stepped up when askeed.
  • ADS is the most polarizing dude in our sport. He's a total dog on a bone on the mat though--and I will miss watching him compete.
  • Back in his Missouri days, Jaydin was a personal favorite. It was hard to root for him as a hawk, but I feel for how his swan song played out. Looking forward to some battles w/ Nick in freestyle.
  • I really thought this was going to be Max's year to AA. He was as good as I've seen him this year, but this tourney is tough.
  • Young is a dependable contributor--didn't end his season the way he wanted, nearly all guys are in the same boat.
  • AMar will always stand out in my memories for his battles (and often wins) over our dear Cenzo. Not sure why he has that quarterfinal curse--but I hope that doesn't sit in his mind too much over the course of his life moving forward. Dude is battle-tested, and may have a future in freestyle w/ his ability to move guys across the mat.
  • Kemm has long been my favorite Hawk. Hope he heals up, and holds his head high.
  • Assad was on my fantasy team this year--so I was kinda pulling for him. Seems like a guy that will find his way onto the podium eventually.
  • Alright--if anyone picked Warner to be Iowa's lone finalist, I hope you placed some bets on it. He's better than we usually give him credit for. Hope Max beats him again, but hey, he kept the 32 year streak alive.
  • It will be interesting to see if Cass keeps his new found body shape. Hard for me to say whether it was better for him or not--but he clearly has the edge on our guy at this point, and I look forward to the battles to become.
  • The coaches are OK, I guess. ;)
OK--it's out of my system now. I'll post another one of these in about 10 years maybe.

200w.gif

Alright--if anyone picked Warner to be Iowa's lone finalist, I hope you placed some bets on it. He's better than we usually give him credit for. Hope Max beats him again, but hey, he kept the 32 year streak alive.
I do not expect to see Warner go under Max by choice.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I saw someone posted on twitter .... Max Murin apparently has made the quarters in all 3 of his trips to NCAAs and then slid out. I double checked WrestleStat and good lord, it's accurate.

Lost to Nick in 2019 then Chad Red in blood round
Lost to Boo Lewallen in 2021 then Jaden Abas in blood round
Lost to Yianni this year then John Millner in blood round

That has to hurt ...

• Wow
Reactions: mcpat
One thing for sure. By 141 and 174 showed how tough they are. Hats off to them
Heart goes out to Kemdawg, he’s true definition of a WARRIOR.
My GAF‘s empty when it comes to “ look at my tattoo” Eireman.

Reactions: Grass
Yeah, I might get banned for a thread title like that--but I just wanted to say that it has been fun cheering for our team against a worthy opponent the last 3 years: We have the one that got away in 2020, and Iowa's team did what it needed to to win it all last year. Now that this year's team race is put to bed, I think its worth appreciating a heck of a foe.
  • Spencer is gonna be in the conversation of GOAT--wrestling took a hit when he couldn't compete this year--hope he heals well, and is runner up to Howard next year. Drake is an exciting talent--his best days are ahead of him, and Jesse stepped up when askeed.
  • ADS is the most polarizing dude in our sport. He's a total dog on a bone on the mat though--and I will miss watching him compete.
  • Back in his Missouri days, Jaydin was a personal favorite. It was hard to root for him as a hawk, but I feel for how his swan song played out. Looking forward to some battles w/ Nick in freestyle.
  • I really thought this was going to be Max's year to AA. He was as good as I've seen him this year, but this tourney is tough.
  • Young is a dependable contributor--didn't end his season the way he wanted, nearly all guys are in the same boat.
  • AMar will always stand out in my memories for his battles (and often wins) over our dear Cenzo. Not sure why he has that quarterfinal curse--but I hope that doesn't sit in his mind too much over the course of his life moving forward. Dude is battle-tested, and may have a future in freestyle w/ his ability to move guys across the mat.
  • Kemm has long been my favorite Hawk. Hope he heals up, and holds his head high.
  • Assad was on my fantasy team this year--so I was kinda pulling for him. Seems like a guy that will find his way onto the podium eventually.
  • Alright--if anyone picked Warner to be Iowa's lone finalist, I hope you placed some bets on it. He's better than we usually give him credit for. Hope Max beats him again, but hey, he kept the 32 year streak alive.
  • It will be interesting to see if Cass keeps his new found body shape. Hard for me to say whether it was better for him or not--but he clearly has the edge on our guy at this point, and I look forward to the battles to become.
OK--it's out of my system now. I'll post another one of these in about 10 years maybe.

Ummmmm......, no.

I could just imagine what would happen if something like this about Penn State was posted on HR. (@johnstownsteel , you have some work to do...)

I saw someone posted on twitter .... Max Murin apparently has made the quarters in all 3 of his trips to NCAAs and then slid out. I double checked WrestleStat and good lord, it's accurate.

Lost to Nick in 2019 then Chad Red in blood round
Lost to Boo Lewallen in 2021 then Jaden Abas in blood round
Lost to Yianni this year then John Millner in blood round

That has to hurt ...

"That's warning track power right there" ~ Mrs Whamos

She's a savage

If I was a HS wrestling star I'd choose PSU over Iowa. I just don't see Iowa's kids developing like cael's kids. They seem to be the same year after year. They do get stronger and better at what they do, but they don't seem to add more skills. When they get to NCAA the difference between winning and losing isn't really about what Iowa seems focus on. It's the little things that cael adds to PSU guys throughout their careers that I think make the big difference.

LOL - here it starts. Just pull points out of thin air. CONSERVATIVELY 56 points.

Spencer - okay, give him 24
Kemerer scored 12.5, probably on the lower end without bonus but 4th wasn't out of the realm of possibility with who was entering 174.
Marinelli had his highest finish ever and I think most acknowledged 5th was possible for him. Got a free 2 points from forfeit also. All reports are he's healthy.

Eierman guaranteed 20 (so he's a lock over Lee) evidently.

Reactions: danoftw
LOL - here it starts. Just pull points out of thin air. CONSERVATIVELY 56 points.

Kemerer scored 12.5, probably on the lower end without bonus but 4th wasn't out of the realm of possibility with who was entering 174.
Marinelli had his highest finish ever and I think most acknowledged 5th was possible for him. Got a free 2 points from forfeit also. All reports are he's healthy.

By the end of the session he may have to revise his tweet to conservatively 65 points.

If I was a HS wrestling star I'd choose PSU over Iowa. I just don't see Iowa's kids developing like cael's kids. They seem to be the same year after year. They do get stronger and better at what they do, but they don't seem to add more skills. When they get to NCAA the difference between winning and losing isn't really about what Iowa seems focus on. It's the little things that cael adds to PSU guys throughout their careers that I think make the big difference.
One poster over there said Iowa had two P4p wrestlers in the last five years and neither wrestler one a championship I'm assuming Kem and bull. Not what Cael would have done lol. Guess that was the posters point. Iowa coaching is deplorable the last ten years at Nationals with the exception of last year and that is questionable

I appreciate the positive comments from the genuine posters here. I know who you are.. Much respect.

This year never really felt quite right from the start for my Hawkeyes. Lot's of derailments along the way. No need to bring them up as you already know them. Such is life in general. Frankly, I'm surprised Iowa managed to get 3rd all things considered.

Kemerer, Marinelli, DeSanto, Eierman and Young will be greatly missed. I have great memories of each of those guys at Iowa to take with me. Some guys are followers, those guys are leaders.

Again, congrats on the championship! It's a great feeling to have as a fan. Like Dean said in his interview, having that composure.. Lots of poise on your team throughout. Impressive.

I appreciate the positive comments from the genuine posters here. I know who you are.. Much respect.

This year never really felt quite right from the start for my Hawkeyes. Lot's of derailments along the way. No need to bring them up as you already know them. Such is life in general. Frankly, I'm surprised Iowa managed to get 3rd all things considered.

Kemerer, Marinelli, DeSanto, Eierman and Young will be greatly missed. I have great memories of each of those guys at Iowa to take with me. Some guys are followers, those guys are leaders.

Again, congrats on the championship! It's a great feeling to have as a fan. Like Dean said in his interview, having that composure.. Lots of poise on your team throughout. Impressive.
Kem has been a favorite of mine since I first watched him against Jason Nolf. He was special then. Sorry that injuries left him short of his wrestling goals. As a human being he is champion.

I feel kind of worried about him, he seems like a dude who needs structure.
I don't really know. I think that ADS had a marked improvement of overall attitude in his 4 years at Iowa, but part of me also thinks that Terry wound him up more than was necessary. I think he might do a little better if he gets some blue sky between himself and TnT.

Bowlsby - born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple #nepotism

One poster over there said Iowa had two P4p wrestlers in the last five years and neither wrestler one a championship I'm assuming Kem and bull. Not what Cael would have done lol. Guess that was the posters point. Iowa coaching is deplorable the last ten years at Nationals with the exception of last year and that is questionable
The only guys they develop could moonlight as jockeys. They are as useless as tits on a boar hog if you weigh more than 149 LBs.

• Haha
Reactions: LHavenlion

Good post Turk.

I've been a DeSanto follower ever since he was screwed at States in a qtr-final bout(?) against the returning champ, Brown of FR, I think. DeSanto had the kid beaten twice till the ref took it away from him, twice. I was pissed.**
And I've been following Kem since about his 9th grade season. I always felt that Kem was that guy left standing at the gate, never able to finish off a tourney. I was kinda glad that he went to Iowa rather than PSU.

** DeSanto was hit with ridiculous stalling calls at outrageous times. When was the last time you saw ADS stalling?

I've been a DeSanto follower ever since he was screwed at States in a qtr-final bout(?) against the returning champ, Brown of FR, I think. DeSanto had the kid beaten twice till the ref took it away from him, twice. I was pissed.**
And I've been following Kem since about his 9th grade season. I always felt that Kem was that guy left standing at the gate, never able to finish off a tourney. I was kinda glad that he went to Iowa rather than PSU.

** DeSanto was hit with ridiculous stalling calls at outrageous times. When was the last time you saw ADS stalling?

That was a nice interview about, but to answer your question:

Desanto stalled a lot in his consi-final yesterday. He scored 4 points early. He then backed up and played the edge of the mat for the next 5 minutes.

Desanto pretty much admitted to this in his post-match interview.

Last edited:
How many champs did they have last year? They won a team championship, which is a great accomplishment but they were 1 of 4 in the championship round.
Hawk fans who contribute on HR exist simply for entertainment, not actual critically thinking wrestling knowledge or insight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT