ADVERTISEMENT

Haskins striking while the iron is hot?

He is gone as are the WR's and OL guys. If Haskins was gonna come back Urbie would not have called it quits

STAY:
  • Loyalty to school
  • More experience
  • Wants a natty

GO:
  • 1st round is likely
  • $$$$$$$ and lots of it
  • Injury risk
  • Devalue risk
  • New Head Coach
  • 3 of 4 of his top targets are definitely gone and the other top is likely to declare as well
  • May lose 3 of his OL in draft on top of that
  • $$$$$$$ and lots of it

Tough call

Well, he’s NOT not very often. In 13 games his completion percentage was over 70% 7 times. His percentage was under 60% only 2 times, both times at 56%.

Just for a quick comparison, Trace, in 12 games, completed over 70% only 2 times. His percentage was at or below 50% 5 different times.

QB rating, Haskins had only 1 game that was rated worse than Trace’s season ave rating.
It's funny. I went to the game against tOSU and thought that PSU really had him rattled for most of the game. Then I watched him in other games and was really impressed. He was calm and confident. Lots of playing pitch and catch. His numbers are spectacular. Love that throw he made in the Big Ten championship.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
STAY:
  • Loyalty to school
  • More experience
  • Wants a natty

GO:
  • 1st round is likely
  • $$$$$$$ and lots of it
  • Injury risk
  • Devalue risk
  • New Head Coach
  • 3 of 4 of his top targets are definitely gone and the other top is likely to declare as well
  • May lose 3 of his OL in draft on top of that
  • $$$$$$$ and lots of it

Tough call
Good points all, but I do wonder if 1st round is a lock. If the money is there he should take it. I was just trying to counter balance some of our (mine included) wishful thinking.

My 2 cents on Haskins is probably a first round gamble, but likely second, third worst. He reminds me of J. Winston, when he's hot, he's hot, and when he's not, he's not.
And unlike Winston, he has his head on straight. Teams won't have to worry about any off the field issues with Haskins.

This kid's draft value has sky rocketed this year to likely a day 1 pick. Particularly in the 2nd half of the year he continued with great passing numbers but really seemed to show an ability to feel the rush and still make things happen either with his feet or with his arm. His stock is at an all time high right now.

It doesn't seem like a great QB class and a couple of the top returning guys from last year showed just how much you can hurt your stock. Guys like Jake Browning, I'm looking at you.

Outside of the injury risk, Ohio St may lose their top 4 or at least 3 of their top 4 receivers in the draft. It's actually possible that they lose 3 OL as well. This is the recipe for how a top QB hurts their stock or flat out gets hurt.

So the question really is, does Haskins believe he is a day 1 pick? If so, he likely knows that his time is now.

He is easily top 15 in first round and could go much higher. He is a pocket passer with a great arm who is mobile. Has been very good in big games. He hits receivers in stride (See throws to Olave, and McClaurin in last 2 games) and can also throw the long ball. In my mind, his record now is much better than Darnold's was last year -- he has thrown far fewer interceptions. He is gone. He is going to make a boatload of cash. Good luck to him.

He is easily top 15 in first round and could go much higher. He is a pocket passer with a great arm who is mobile. Has been very good in big games. He hits receivers in stride (See throws to Olave, and McClaurin in last 2 games) and can also throw the long ball. In my mind, his record now is much better than Darnold's was last year -- he has thrown far fewer interceptions. He is gone. He is going to make a boatload of cash. Good luck to him.
73 rushes for a 1.7 average is "mobile"?

Well, he’s NOT not very often. In 13 games his completion percentage was over 70% 7 times. His percentage was under 60% only 2 times, both times at 56%.

Just for a quick comparison, Trace, in 12 games, completed over 70% only 2 times. His percentage was at or below 50% 5 different times.

QB rating, Haskins had only 1 game that was rated worse than Trace’s season ave rating.
Wow! by stats, he ought to be a top 5 pick. I'm sure he will light up the combines too. He does have his head on straight.

At the beginning of the year, he didn't try to run. I think he had 3 rushing TDs at Maryland. Also, at Michigan ran well.
15 attempts for 59 yards, with 15 on one carry against a garbage.defense.
7 attempts for 34 yards, with 11 on one carry.

Stick to talking about his arm, because his rushing ability is just this side of Tom Brady.

15 attempts for 59 yards, with 15 on one carry against a garbage.defense.
7 attempts for 34 yards, with 11 on one carry.

Stick to talking about his arm, because his rushing ability is just this side of Tom Brady.

Way faster in straight line than Brady. See 20 yard run against Michigan at crucial time late in 2017 game. 4.2 yards per carry by your stats in 2 games mentioned. Every runner has short and long runs.

Way faster in straight line than Brady. See 20 yard run against Michigan at crucial time late in 2017 game. 4.2 yards per carry by your stats in 2 games mentioned. Every runner has short and long runs.
Yes, he looks super athletic, and should absolutely be labeled a "duel threat".

Trace McSorley must make you cream in your pants.

As with everyone, you should enter the draft as soon as possible. Haskins should go pro. Patterson should go pro. And a few guys on our team should as well (Sanders & Miller especially)

I just read a mock draft that had Sanders as the 137th pick (5th round) and Miller as the 243rd pick (possible free agent). Juwan Johnson is rated 171st (6th round).

I was surprised that Shea Patterson was listed as the 245th overall pick (free agent?). Michigan underclassmen that were listed high were Gary (25th), Hill (69th), Bush (97th), and Long (216th).

Haskins - IMO - made significant strides from mid-season to date.

From the little I've looked at the NFL Draft eligible at QB this year..... I would think - barring completely bottoming things out in workouts or combines - he is all but a lock to be among the early QBs picked (1-2 round?).
He'd be foolish to not go now, I would think, if his goal is to play professionally (and isn't that the case for about 90% of big-time college FB players?)
Even the Patterson kid at UMich might want to seriously consider it.

What is up with stupid locks? Not coming out.

I just read a mock draft that had Sanders as the 137th pick (5th round) and Miller as the 243rd pick (possible free agent). Juwan Johnson is rated 171st (6th round).

I was surprised that Shea Patterson was listed as the 245th overall pick (free agent?). Michigan underclassmen that were listed high were Gary (25th), Hill (69th), Bush (97th), and Long (216th).
I've seen several mocks with Bush in round 1. Curious where this mock has McSorley if at all Dremont Jones, KJ Hill, Michael Jordan, Malik Harrison, Robert Landers, Jordan Fuller, Kendall Sheffield, Damon Arnette, Jonathon Cooper, Khaleke Hudson, Karan Higdon, Michael Onwenu, and Ben Bredenson.

I've seen several mocks with Bush in round 1. Curious where this mock has McSorley if at all Dremont Jones, KJ Hill, Michael Jordan, Malik Harrison, Robert Landers, Jordan Fuller, Kendall Sheffield, Damon Arnette, Jonathon Cooper, Khaleke Hudson, Karan Higdon, Michael Onwenu, and Ben Bredenson.
I saw Hudson listed as 261st

Yes, he looks super athletic, and should absolutely be labeled a "duel threat".

Trace McSorley must make you cream in your pants.

He is nowhere near as good a runner as McSorely. For a classic drop back passer, he is reasonably good.

Let’s face it that we all want him to go pro. He is the best actual QB to come out of there in a long time. 15 years ago this would not be a discussion as he would simply be there another year. Nowadays, leave when your stock is up and you have your health. He looks far more polished than sam darnold with a lot less starts under his belt.

If he is told by the NFL he is round one, he should go. This year's crop is weak. But then again, I am not sure if Fromm goes early next year, so next year could be weak as well.
I wouldn't draft Haskins in round one. His accuracy is so bad when under pressure....

If you can’t at least have the courtesy to at least spell our players’ names correctly then just stay on your own fudging Board.

Sheesh. I stand corrected. Won't do it again. It is a message board -- it is not like I am writing an epic novel and am double checking the spelling of everything that I write. Would mention that since Joe Burrow went to LSU, I have lurked at their board just to see how he has been fitting in. Three weeks into the season LSU people were misspelling his name as Burrows.

Sheesh. I stand corrected. Won't do it again. It is a message board -- it is not like I am writing an epic novel and am double checking the spelling of everything that I write. Would mention that since Joe Burrow went to LSU, I have lurked at their board just to see how he has been fitting in. Three weeks into the season LSU people were misspelling his name as Burrows.
Did you honestly expect posters at LSU to know how to spell?

Reactions: nits74
ADVERTISEMENT