ADVERTISEMENT

Haskins striking while the iron is hot?

ImaWright

Aug 11, 2018
This kid's draft value has sky rocketed this year to likely a day 1 pick. Particularly in the 2nd half of the year he continued with great passing numbers but really seemed to show an ability to feel the rush and still make things happen either with his feet or with his arm. His stock is at an all time high right now.

It doesn't seem like a great QB class and a couple of the top returning guys from last year showed just how much you can hurt your stock. Guys like Jake Browning, I'm looking at you.

Outside of the injury risk, Ohio St may lose their top 4 or at least 3 of their top 4 receivers in the draft. It's actually possible that they lose 3 OL as well. This is the recipe for how a top QB hurts their stock or flat out gets hurt.

So the question really is, does Haskins believe he is a day 1 pick? If so, he likely knows that his time is now.

This kid's draft value has sky rocketed this year to likely a day 1 pick. Particularly in the 2nd half of the year he continued with great passing numbers but really seemed to show an ability to feel the rush and still make things happen either with his feet or with his arm. His stock is at an all time high right now.

It doesn't seem like a great QB class and a couple of the top returning guys from last year showed just how much you can hurt your stock. Guys like Jake Browning, I'm looking at you.

Outside of the injury risk, Ohio St may lose their top 4 or at least 3 of their top 4 receivers in the draft. It's actually possible that they lose 3 OL as well. This is the recipe for how a top QB hurts their stock or flat out gets hurt.

So the question really is, does Haskins believe he is a day 1 pick? If so, he likely knows that his time is now.
It wouldn't break my heart to see Haskins and Patterson leave early.

As with everyone, you should enter the draft as soon as possible. Haskins should go pro. Patterson should go pro. And a few guys on our team should as well (Sanders & Miller especially)

Haskins seems to take a long time to get ballnoht of his hand in the little I have watched of him. Almost like he looks, sees a receiver, makes sure that’s the receiver he wants to throw the ball to, then throws it.

Haskins seems to take a long time to get ballnoht of his hand in the little I have watched of him. Almost like he looks, sees a receiver, makes sure that’s the receiver he wants to throw the ball to, then throws it.

Well, not sure how many times he got sacked but he completed 70.2% of his passes with 47 TDs / 8 Ints.

For a first year starter, thought he had a pretty remarkable year.

He's gone in the first 5 picks. QB are such a valuable commodity they don't last long. Disagree about him holding the ball a long time he has the quickest release I've seen in a long time. His release is so quick he's able to hold the ball for that extra beat as receivers break open. A Defensive Coordinator nightmare.

Reactions: 2atpsu and JJTopp99
This kid's draft value has skyrocketed this year to likely a day 1 pick. Particularly in the 2nd half of the year he continued with great passing numbers but really seemed to show an ability to feel the rush and still make things happen either with his feet or with his arm. His stock is at an all-time high right now.

He has nothing left to prove. Why wouldn't he enter the draft, ESP with URBY departing, and who knows who else (receivers, etc)? Its unlikely tUOS vies for an NC next year. There's always the chance of a PRO career-killing injury too. I see no logical incentive for him to stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: gogolion

Did he have a talk with LJ yet?

I'm pretty sure we'll see quite a few early entrees from Ohio St and Michigan. Both have a ton of 3rd year or better day 1 selections. Certainly more than we do this year. What 's funny is that the guys mentioned from PSU leaving early are day 2 or undrafted guys that could improve their position coming back. Not to say they won't go but none are a Dremont Jones or a Devin Bush.

I'm pretty sure we'll see quite a few early entrees from Ohio St and Michigan. Both have a ton of 3rd year or better day 1 selections. Certainly more than we do this year. What 's funny is that the guys mentioned from PSU leaving early are day 2 or undrafted guys that could improve their position coming back. Not to say they won't go but none are a Dremont Jones or a Devin Bush.

Day 2 is a second or third round pick. They definitely should go if they're a day 2 pick. RBs should always enter the draft as soon as they're draftable.

He's gone in the first 5 picks. QB are such a valuable commodity they don't last long. Disagree about him holding the ball a long time he has the quickest release I've seen in a long time. His release is so quick he's able to hold the ball for that extra beat as receivers break open. A Defensive Coordinator nightmare.
I see no way he goes in the first 5 - based upon what a good game against UM and a boat load of cream puffs.

Reactions: KCLion
As I said, I haven’t seen much of him. But he seems to take a while to process plays. Could just be the bits of games that I saw him play, but if that is his norm, that is a defensive coordinators dream.
Regardless, he had a hell of a season. Whatever his professional potential or eventual performance may be, it is irrelevant to the fact that he had a great season.

I see no way he goes in the first 5 - based upon what a good game against UM and a boat load of cream puffs.

I'm not convinced he goes in the top 5 either but he was great in about 10 games this year and teams are going to fall in love with the upside. He's definitely raw but QB prospects are lacking in the 2018 draft and we all know 1-3 will be taken early even if it's a reach. Haskins completed over 70% of his passes, had about a 6-1 TD/INT ratio and has a very quick release. I wouldn't want my NFL team to draft him early but I definitely think some NFL GM is going to feel like he's worth the risk at some point in the first round. I don't think coming back could help his stock much

Reactions: JJTopp99
I'm not convinced he goes in the top 5 either but he was great in about 10 games this year and teams are going to fall in love with the upside. He's definitely raw but QB prospects are lacking in the 2018 draft and we all know 1-3 will be taken early even if it's a reach. Haskins completed over 70% of his passes, had about a 6-1 TD/INT ratio and has a very quick release. I wouldn't want my NFL team to draft him early but I definitely think some NFL GM is going to feel like he's worth the risk at some point in the first round. I don't think coming back could help his stock much
What do you think of your new coach Ryan Day?

Of course the fact Urban who brought him into the program is gone as well... must have some impact in his decision...

That sounds like Donovan McNabb. No matter what you think of him, he had a real good career.
By the way, is Haskins eligible to go? Was this his third year at OSU?

Day 2 is a second or third round pick. They definitely should go if they're a day 2 pick. RBs should always enter the draft as soon as they're draftable.
My apologies, I meant to say day 3. I don't think anyone believes that Miller or Sanders would go before that. It's possible with a dominant 2019 that they move into real money, but no one is going to take them at that point right now. They would actually have a higher probability of UDFA at this point than top couple of rounds.

I bet several teams are interested in taking Haskins in round 1, which includes GM Elway and Denver.

Of course, we would like to see Haskins declare for the draft this year. This thread reminds me of the quote by Mark Twain that said "I didn't attend his funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."

Reactions: Nittany_93
He might get picked high, but something makes me think he won't be a great Pro in the absence of a top notch supporting cast.

My 2 cents on Haskins is probably a first round gamble, but likely second, third worst. He reminds me of J. Winston, when he's hot, he's hot, and when he's not, he's not.

My 2 cents on Haskins is probably a first round gamble, but likely second, third worst. He reminds me of J. Winston, when he's hot, he's hot, and when he's not, he's not.

Well, he’s NOT not very often. In 13 games his completion percentage was over 70% 7 times. His percentage was under 60% only 2 times, both times at 56%.

Just for a quick comparison, Trace, in 12 games, completed over 70% only 2 times. His percentage was at or below 50% 5 different times.

QB rating, Haskins had only 1 game that was rated worse than Trace’s season ave rating.

If our OL could pass block better against OSU, UM, Traces' completion record would be much better. He was sacked 4 times against each team and was running for his life much of the games. Run blocking was poor also against both. Take away Traces' 175 yards scrambling against the Buckeyes, and we had something like 43 yards rushing, pathetic.

I'm thinking he comes back for one more year. Money or not, he seems to have a strong loyalty to OSU

I'm thinking he comes back for one more year. Money or not, he seems to have a strong loyalty to OSU
Show me the money - if he can get a decent paycheck no reason to come back - his stats won’t get better and he should worry about what happened to Matt Barkley - cost himself millions by coming back and then getting hurt and was never the same.

Show me the money - if he can get a decent paycheck no reason to come back - his stats won’t get better and he should worry about what happened to Matt Barkley - cost himself millions by coming back and then getting hurt and was never the same.
Couple that with the rest of the B1G having a full year of tape on him to find weaknesses during the off season. As stated in another thread by @psuro, there's a lot of teams in the NFL that are in dire need of a QB. He'd be crazy to stay especially under a new HC.

If he was coming back for a national championship run, I could see that. But with Day taking over, I think that picture becomes much murkier. Heck, even with Meyer there, you have two straight years where OSU is Big Ten champion with only 1 loss and they haven't even made it to the playoff.

I agree Haskins loves OSU and in his heart may want to stay for another year. I certainly wish in my own heart that he would, but assuming he grades out as a top 2-3 QB in the draft, my head says you can't turn that kind of opportunity down.

All first round QBs are a genuine crap-shoot BECAUSE they usually end up on a crappy team. As for Haskins, he has a 'the measurables' -- lacks 'games' experiences at the college level. One more year would help, BUT money matters too.

OSU has two 'potential' starters behind Haskins and each were Ryan Day choices/recruits. Like all top programs, there are futures in waiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT