ADVERTISEMENT

Haskins at QB for Buckeyes...how good?

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
Dwayne Haskins named Buckeyes' starting QB entering preseason camp

The 6-foot-3, 218-pound Haskins appeared in eight games last season, completing 40 of 57 pass attempts for 565 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. He relieved injured starter J.T. Barrett in Ohio State's win at Michigan, completing 6 of 7 pass attempts for 94 yards.

ESPN rated Haskins as the No. 4 pocket passer and No. 63 overall player in the 2016 recruiting class. Martell rated as the No. 6 dual-threat quarterback and No. 127 overall player in the 2017 class.

Better passer than Barrett? Not as good on the run?

Reactions: PSU81

The 6-foot-3, 218-pound Haskins appeared in eight games last season, completing 40 of 57 pass attempts for 565 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. He relieved injured starter J.T. Barrett in Ohio State's win at Michigan, completing 6 of 7 pass attempts for 94 yards.

ESPN rated Haskins as the No. 4 pocket passer and No. 63 overall player in the 2016 recruiting class. Martell rated as the No. 6 dual-threat quarterback and No. 127 overall player in the 2017 class.

JT Barrett was one of the greatest players in college football history. The idea that Haskins is going to step right in and be as good is crazy.

Much better arm...definitely not the same runner. Time will tell. Should be interesting but it was a lock for him to start IMO.

40 of 57 pass attempts for 565 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. Also 86 yds rushing. I think the kid will be very good.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Unfortunately Haskins is an upgrade at QB for OSU. Like you said, better passer and just good enough on the ground to keep defenses guessing. Him and Dobbins will be tough to stop, but so will we. Will be an epic showdown in Beaver Stadium.

Unfortunately Haskins is an upgrade at QB for OSU. Like you said, better passer and just good enough on the ground to keep defenses guessing. Him and Dobbins will be tough to stop, but so will we. Will be an epic showdown in Beaver Stadium.

For a September game:

PSU offense ahead of tOSU offense? (yeah, no Barkley but OL should be good, and still plenty of skill talent)
tOSU defense ahead of PSU defense? (new starters for PSU, and big changes at LB and Secondary)

Way, way better passer. Other than one game against Penn State, Barrett couldn't throw deep or throw timing passes. Against Wisconsin, OSU's receivers were open all day. If Cardale Jones had been playing OSU would have beat Wisconsin by at least 30 last year.

A couple of years ago, Clemson figured out Barrett's deficiencies and thumped OSU even though OSU intercepted DeShaun Watson twice in the first half. Last year if OSU had played Alabama or Georgia, I think they would have had a better chance of winning with either Haskins or Burrow than with Barrett. Barrett couldn't keep the really good teams honest because of his deficiencies as a passer. He was a really good kid and a good manager, but he wasn't a great passer.

JT Barrett was one of the greatest players in college football history. The idea that Haskins is going to step right in and be as good is crazy.
I think JT was a bit overrated. He tore us up because he had all day to throw. Under pressure, he wasn't accurate at all. Haskins, from what I've seen, appears to be an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
Barrett is one of those guys who seems to have been around so long it's easy to take him for granted. For those who believe Haskins is a "much better" passer, I point out in a 4 year career Barrett completed 64% of his passes and had a better than 3:1 TD/Int ratio (104/30). So in 4 years he averaged 26 TD's per year and 8 Int's per season. I would be curious to know what stats Haskins is expected to put up that will be "much better" than Barrett?
Also, keep in mind the Urban Meyer offense is predicated on having a very good running QB. This includes Alex Smith, Tebow and Barrett. So a trade off of better passing but not as good running seems to me to be a net minus of that offense. And yes, I know, the great Kevin Wilson is the OC.....
Just my .02!

Sounds like you agree with Parsons.......

Reactions: indynittany
For those who believe Haskins is a "much better" passer, I point out in a 4 year career Barrett completed 64% of his passes and had a better than 3:1 TD/Int ratio (104/30). So in 4 years he averaged 26 TD's per year and 8 Int's per season. I would be curious to know what stats Haskins is expected to put up that will be "much better" than Barrett?

I would be curious to see what Barrett's deep throwing stats were. From my memory, they were poor. If OSU was playing a talented opponent and needed a very good throw from the QB, it almost never came from Barrett. (Other than his first year, which was very good) Haskins threw a 25 yard bullet to Austin Mack into a tight window on 3rd down at a crucial time in the Michigan game -- a throw that Barrett simply couldn't make.

Also, against Wisconsin, with receivers wide open deep, Barrett was 12 for 26 with 2 interceptions for 211 yards. He did have one good throw to Mclaurin (medium throw that Mclaurin took 84 yards. Other than that he had a really poor game.). So you can see that the rest of the game Barrett was poor. Against USC, Barrett was 11 for 17 for 114 yards. Against Clemson in CFB semifinal game, Barrett was 19 for 33 with 2 interceptions for 127 yards and a QB rating of 15.2.

So, Barrett's stats were fattened up against easy competition and also by jet sweep pitches that count as passes. Against very good competition, he was not good other than one game against PSU. If OSU had played Alabama or Georgia last year either Haskins or Burrow would have given OSU a better chance to win.

Last edited:
Let’s pump the brakes there, Todd. He was the starting QB for some of the most talented teams in CFB history and had a HC, OC, and system that allowed him to maximize his abilities. I would say that he absolutely wasn’t even the greatest player in the big ten, but not even the best player on his own team for any of his time at tOSU.

Let’s pump the brakes there, Todd. He was the starting QB for some of the most talented teams in CFB history and had a HC, OC, and system that allowed him to maximize his abilities. I would say that he absolutely wasn’t even the greatest player in the big ten, but not even the best player on his own team for any of his time at tOSU.
I would agree - I doubt when discussing great college QB’s JT’a name will ever come up in conversation- he was good but I doubt anyone would call him great.

ADVERTISEMENT