ADVERTISEMENT

Has there been any buzz about Sterling Jenkins out of camp this year?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
I hope the big fellow can put it all together and find his way to the field. This year may be his last chance.

I hope the big fellow can put it all together and find his way to the field. This year may be his last chance.

I've heard zero. But, he's the kind of prospect worth taking a chance on. Hope for the best for him.

Reactions: bmw199
Haven't seen or heard anything to make me think Jenkins' playing time will increase. I get the impression he's got a good attitude and is a popular, hard-working kid but just doesn't have the quickness and mobility to ever contribute to a division I football program.

Reactions: ELDADDY and bison13
Haven’t heard anything to my knowledge, and the writing on the wall certainly seems to be that multiple younger guys have passed him by on the depth chart.

As said above, it’s always worth taking a kid with NFL-level size and athleticism. If the kid figured out the on-field aspects of the position, he’d have a shot to be a first rounder. As it is, that’s why you recruit as many kids as you can - so that you don’t end up putting all of your eggs in one basket, even if the kid is a four star recruit.

When I was at PSU, they had an offensive lineman named Stephen Davis - huge for the time - 6'6", 280#. Never played. I ran into him on the train to NYC for the first Men's NIT Championship, and asked him why he never played - he simply said - I was big, but other guys were better.

Could be the same with Jenkins.

I hope he's enjoying his experience, working hard, and getting a great education. Just because he's not making headlines doesn't mean that he may not be improving. Not everyone can become a starter, and O line seems especially difficult to predict success.

Jenkins was pushed around at camps, as well as the WPIAL his junior and senior year. I would not count on him seeing much PT in games that matter.

Goes to show how hard it is to project OLs out of high school. There they can be dominant simply by being the guy who developed the fastest at a young age. All the best to Sterling. Maybe we'll see more of him this season.

Reactions: ELDADDY
Haven't seen or heard anything to make me think Jenkins' playing time will increase. I get the impression he's got a good attitude and is a popular, hard-working kid but just doesn't have the quickness and mobility to ever contribute to a division I football program.
Tony Soprano never had the makings of a varsity athlete either, but he got by.

When I was at PSU, they had an offensive lineman named Stephen Davis - huge for the time - 6'6", 280#. Never played. I ran into him on the train to NYC for the first Men's NIT Championship, and asked him why he never played - he simply said - I was big, but other guys were better.

The summer of 1988 I shared an apartment in with a football player and several were also in the apartment next door. Stephen came over fairly often and I remember playing video games with him. I think he was one of the first 300 pounders at PSU. Helluva nice guy. I'll never forget my 5'-1" mom coming to pick me up at the end of summer classes and walking down the hall to the apartment and Stephen walked by her going the other direction. The look on her face was priceless. She never saw a human that large!

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
He was well worth taking a shot with, just didn't work out. There's no shame being a practice player - especially when you're on a full ride.

Good point Fox
I've been touting that we need kids to go pro after 3 years for the program to move forward but this aspect is just as important. By the numbers it is impossible to have every kid recruited contribute on Saturdays. So when they don't or can't this is also one of the other possible "POSITIVE" outcomes for the program!

Stay on, get your degree, work your butt off and contribute to the program - even if that contribution is limited to the practice field.

Definitely a positive outcome for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT