ADVERTISEMENT

Has Iowa shown how to defend PSU?

They covered with deep zones and prevented long pass plays.

Statistical highlights (positive for Iowa defense)
  • PSU passing was 9.2 yds per completion, well below Trace's 2016 numbers
  • Longest PSU completion was 23 yards
  • Gesicki had only 25 yards
  • Iowa had 4 sacks, as both of their tall DEs (6'5" and 6'7") were disruptive and also effective in knocking down passes
  • PSU scored only 2 touchdowns
Statistical highlights (not so positive for Iowa defense)
  • PSU gained 579 yards, with a nearly even balance of rushing and passing yardage
  • Saquon Barkley had more room and was able to use his amazing talents both rushing and catching passes
  • Iowa did not stop the key final drive
Will this approach affect the way future opponents scheme?
Iowa did not stop PSU. PSU stopped themselves in the red zone. First and goal from the 2 with a Barkley in the backfield should be a touchdown every time. Give him the ball.

Also, a personal nit. I don't quite understand why they can't teach this team a couple of under the center plays when there are 6 inches or less to gain. I never used to worry (much) about making it when we could run an under center play. I find myself much more concerned now when they start 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

While I'm at it, I would love to see a few 2 back plays. I know Moorehead had plays like that at Fordham.

Of course can't complain about success but it's an internet fan board so why not.

So many uneducated fans think that was because of Iowa's defense. No, it was because of Iowa's poor offensive play and Penn State's good defensive play that allowed you to have that many plays and that many yards.

Iowa defensive philosophy is extremely sound and rarely is there a team that's patient enough to just take what they give you and rarely do they have a quarterback that can complete the passes required to beat that defense.
Well, your defense was "gassed" on that last drive. Lots of chances to stop that drive and couldn't get it done. 80 yards in 1:42 with the money on the line.

Reactions: terrehawk
Well, your defense was "gassed" on that last drive. Lots of chances to stop that drive and couldn't get it done. 80 yards in 1:42 with the money on the line.
Absolutely. You can't ask a defense to basically play two full games and not be gassed. 99 offense of plays will be hard for anybody to defend. Iowa actually had more yards per play Then Penn State did

Helluva game. Loudest I've ever heard kinnick

Ferentz played the old bend but dont break defense. For those that missed it didnt flutie throw for 500 yards as well as others against Penn state defense. Didnt they only score 10 points! So he played it safe and kept the score low. Stats be damned. he was Winning with less talent with 4 seconds to go. Imagine if someone does copy their scheme with better talent. We miss Godwin now a whole lot at this stage. THose 50/50 grabs were 0 percent vs Iowa. Johnson is getting better! Blacknail and hamilton need to do more to gain separation and please stop throwing tossups to polk. Polk should be used more like edelmen of the patriots.

Ferentz played the old bend but dont break defense. For those that missed it didnt flutie throw for 500 yards as well as others against Penn state defense. Didnt they only score 10 points! So he played it safe and kept the score low. Stats be damned. he was Winning with less talent with 4 seconds to go. Imagine if someone does copy their scheme with better talent. We miss Godwin now a whole lot at this stage. THose 50/50 grabs were 0 percent vs Iowa. Johnson is getting better! Blacknail and hamilton need to do more to gain separation and please stop throwing tossups to polk. Polk should be used more like edelmen of the patriots.
Did you miss the play where Blacknall was wide open deep, but overthrown? If you're going to analyze, do it right.

SO the one play that he is wide open it is MC sorely's fault. Really? Mc sorely played a good game with a ton of pressure. If he couldnt run like he did and move like he did then we would also have lost that game regardless of what Barkely did.

579 yards total offense. I hope everyone copies them exactly.
Yes! We punch it in the end zone and/or hit our field goals and this game isn't even close.

PSU needs to put in a goal line/short yardage package. It needs to fix the FG execution problems. And until CW is back, it probably needs to move Mahon to RT and start Menet at guard. Nelson isn't recovered fully and Fries isn't ready.

SO the one play that he is wide open it is MC sorely's fault. Really? Mc sorely played a good game with a ton of pressure. If he couldnt run like he did and move like he did then we would also have lost that game regardless of what Barkely did.
Love McSorley, but he overthrew the kid. It sure as hell wasn't Blacknall who threw it. And Blacknall had a HUGE catch on 4th down to keep last drive alive.

Iowa did not stop PSU. PSU stopped themselves in the red zone. First and goal from the 2 with a Barkley in the backfield should be a touchdown every time. Give him the ball.

Also, a personal nit. I don't quite understand why they can't teach this team a couple of under the center plays when there are 6 inches or less to gain. I never used to worry (much) about making it when we could run an under center play. I find myself much more concerned now when they start 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

While I'm at it, I would love to see a few 2 back plays. I know Moorehead had plays like that at Fordham.

Of course can't complain about success but it's an internet fan board so why not.

I'd like to have a pro set package one in awhile where the is no delayed handoff, just a power I with a fullback or a quick pitch with a blocking back. Some of those running plays take too long, too deep in the backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT