Has Coach Franklin lost this team?

• Yes

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • No

Votes: 117 63.2%
  • We will know after this Saturday.

Votes: 48 25.9%

• Total voters
They did lost the same two games last year in a row in basically the same fashion. Which is heartbreaking and very frustrating, but don't think he lost the team last year. This isn't the NFL, most of these players truly love JF. Doubt many if any are about to start quitting on him as they want a professional career after this. Makes zero sense on so many levels.

They looked lost last Saturday.

We'll see about IU, but this could turn into a repeat of 2015 pretty quickly. CJF definitely lost that team.

Did Franklin look in Lasch?
Ah! There it is! Silly team!

We ain’t come here to play quit! Or hide and seek.

Now let’s get back to JJ’s butter fingers, Diane Lane’s looks and tongs!

Last edited by a moderator:
No he hasn’t lost the team. What a crazy post. Personally I think the great to elite out too much pressure on the team. That is a lot to take in for a lot of young players. Personally I think Franklin and the staff should have taken full blame for Ohio state, protected his young players from this expectation. Playing for a chance at a playoff is probably pretty big burden for some players to handle.

The coaches haven’t handled this season very well to be honest. They have shown they are great playing from behind, playing with a chip on their shoulder, playing as the under dog. All of a sudden they seem to be playing tense, uptight, conservative. I don’t think the team looks like they are excited or having fun. Like too much is on their mind, they aren’t handling the pressure for some reason. A lot of talent, a lot of guys who are struggling to get out of their own head.

Franklin and the staff need to self scout themselves. Take the blame for these issues. Figure out why these players aren’t letting it all go. Get these guys to go out, have fun again. Figure out how they can better manage these 4th quarters. Maybe he needs to hire a coach who can handle game day management / decisions and Franklin can sit back as the CEO, recruiting guru, handle disciplinary decision, motivate and leader.

Someone posted yesterday in a thread about the series of plays the whole way back to the Illinois game in 2014 and blown leads when all we needed to do was get a first down and end the game. No passes, all runs and pretty much 3 & outs, punts and losing at the buzzer. This can’t be blamed on anyone but Franklin, he is the only consistent factor. There have been 3 different offensive coordinators over this period of blown 4th quarter leads.

No he hasn’t lost the team. What a crazy post. Personally I think the great to elite out too much pressure on the team. That is a lot to take in for a lot of young players. Personally I think Franklin and the staff should have taken full blame for Ohio state, protected his young players from this expectation. Playing for a chance at a playoff is probably pretty big burden for some players to handle.

The coaches haven’t handled this season very well to be honest. They have shown they are great playing from behind, playing with a chip on their shoulder, playing as the under dog. All of a sudden they seem to be playing tense, uptight, conservative. I don’t think the team looks like they are excited or having fun. Like too much is on their mind, they aren’t handling the pressure for some reason. A lot of talent, a lot of guys who are struggling to get out of their own head.

Franklin and the staff need to self scout themselves. Take the blame for these issues. Figure out why these players aren’t letting it all go. Get these guys to go out, have fun again. Figure out how they can better manage these 4th quarters. Maybe he needs to hire a coach who can handle game day management / decisions and Franklin can sit back as the CEO, recruiting guru, handle disciplinary decision, motivate and leader.

Someone posted yesterday in a thread about the series of plays the whole way back to the Illinois game in 2014 and blown leads when all we needed to do was get a first down and end the game. No passes, all runs and pretty much 3 & outs, punts and losing at the buzzer. This can’t be blamed on anyone but Franklin, he is the only consistent factor. There have been 3 different offensive coordinators over this period of blown 4th quarter leads.

Somewhere up there, Joe is looking down and laughing.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Whoa! You are assuming that I believe that Coach Franklin has lost the team. I am just asking the question. After reading thread after thread following the Michigan game that questioned game plan, use of players, clock management, etc., whether or not, he had lost the team became an unanswered question.

Whoa! You are assuming that I believe that Coach Franklin has lost the team. I am just asking the question. After reading thread after thread following the Michigan game that questioned game plan, use of players, clock management, etc., whether or not, he had lost the team became an unanswered question.
It's a provocative question. Quit the passive/aggressive crap.

I heard Franklin called the FBI and reported that the team was either lost, or perhaps even kidnapped. In a garbled tape of the call, he was even heard muttering incredulous phrases like 'body snatchers' .... "Pitt switcherroo".... he was incoherent at points and obviously distraught after losing his team.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Did he lose the team after losing to Pitt then getting blown out by Michigan? Some people on this board are out of their minds.
I have a lot of respect for Franklin. It went even higher this weekend after the loss and during his PC when one of the media folks addressed JJ's performance and hoped Franklin would say something negative or revealing. After he showed his believable pain and acknowledged the team and coaches have to get better, he told the team "I love you unconditionally". Who does that? He's either a fraud or a good human being. I choose the later. If the team loses at Indiana which some folks are concerned about, it won't be because he "lost the team", but because they are fragile amd wounded after two heart breaking losses, their deficiencies have been exposed, and Indiana plays out of its mind. Let's see if and how PSU can get better this weekend.

Reactions: FightOnState
People on this board don't like answering real questions. Facts show that Franklin has been outcoached in many of the teams losses. The two this year a perfect examples. Bad clock management, not defending trick plays, not defending screen passes, not having any screen passes of your own, calling a run on 4th and 5. Bottom line is Franklin is a great recruiter, but he has a long way to go to be a great coach, and that is the biggest reason our team is not ELITE!

Does Franklin turn to the freshman quarterback Sean Clifford in this time of despair? Thats the only way i can see us from not losing every single game the rest of the way. If he doesnt, i think you HAVE to fire him.

No he has not lost the team. If you need a textbook example of losing a team, Athletic department and fan base just look at the nightmare in Piscataway, NJ. You have a dam good coach and yes a great recruiter.

Reactions: FightOnState
Btw I know my post was hard on Franklin and seemed gloom and doom. I think they can fix things. They need to look at their mistakes and be honest with themselves and be willing to change. It has now cost them big time the last 2 years, 2 shots at making the playoff. We might be a bottom half of the top 10 talent wise but coaching should have put us in top 4 playoff last year and have us in top 4 currently.

As I said, not a doom and gloom post but I think we will see from here on out if Franklin has lost the team (hint...he hasn’t). We are back in his motivational wheel house. My guess is, playoff pressure is off, he can get back to motivating them as underdog and play loose and have fun. I think they will finish the season with 5 convincing / solid wins and a toss up in Ann Arbor. They will finish it off with a nice bowl win and head into 2019.

A good friend of mine has a son currently on team. Sounds like there is a degree of infighting amongst team, which was not present last few years. The other point is that while the mantra from CJF has always been 1-0 each week, making the CFP was an acknowledged goal which was discussed behind closed doors. With that goal gone, certainly some question & concern with how the team will respond.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

It's a lot tougher being the hunted. The team and coaches have some adversity. Let's see how and if they can overcome it. It's what makes each season interesting. Next time we have a one score lead late, let's see if there's a change. I hope we have a one score lead at Michigan and it gets figured out. It's a clear hole in our team/coaching staff at this point. If it was "figured out" we'd have won our last 29. The expectation to do that is a little out there but it's pretty amazing that in the last 29 games we led in the 4th quarter and had a pretty good chance to win.

A good friend of mine has a son currently on team. Sounds like there is a degree of infighting amongst team, which was not present last few years. The other point is that while the mantra from CJF has always been 1-0 each week, making the CFP was an acknowledged goal which was discussed behind closed doors. With that goal gone, certainly some question & concern with how the team will respond.
Without getting into too much detail, can you share whether the alleged infighting is related to:

a) poor coaching, especially in-game?

b) depth chart / playing time decisions?

c) other?

People on this board don't like answering real questions. Facts show that Franklin has been outcoached in many of the teams losses. The two this year a perfect examples. Bad clock management, not defending trick plays, not defending screen passes, not having any screen passes of your own, calling a run on 4th and 5. Bottom line is Franklin is a great recruiter, but he has a long way to go to be a great coach, and that is the biggest reason our team is not ELITE!

I wouldn't say he was outcoached vs OSU. our game plan was solid for that game. We got beat by a better team. OSU made plays when they had to. We didn't.

I think the whole team had a let down vs MSU. The coaching wasn't great - but more importantly the players didn't play great. You can argue that we should have passed more - but Trace wasn't playing well - and the WRs weren't getting separation. Despite the worst performance by PSU since UM in 2016 - we very well could've won the game - but for some dropped INTs.

Yes - there were some questionable coaching decisions down the stretch - and Dantonio made some great decisions - but if we execute half as good as we normally do - we win going away.

We forget this isn't a video game - and the players have emotions and up games and down games.

The team played tight. After the OSU game - they knew there is no margin for error and tightened up.

I look for the PSU team that showed up in the 1st 5 games to show up for the final 6 games. I can easily see a 10-2 season. We have more talent than anybody left (other than UM - and that is essentially equal).

We need to do 2 things to take the next step
1) Close out games better
2) Move past mistakes (and losses) better.

I wouldn't say he was outcoached vs OSU. our game plan was solid for that game. We got beat by a better team. OSU made plays when they had to. We didn't.

I think the whole team had a let down vs MSU. The coaching wasn't great - but more importantly the players didn't play great. You can argue that we should have passed more - but Trace wasn't playing well - and the WRs weren't getting separation. Despite the worst performance by PSU since UM in 2016 - we very well could've won the game - but for some dropped INTs.

Yes - there were some questionable coaching decisions down the stretch - and Dantonio made some great decisions - but if we execute half as good as we normally do - we win going away.

We forget this isn't a video game - and the players have emotions and up games and down games.

The team played tight. After the OSU game - they knew there is no margin for error and tightened up.

I look for the PSU team that showed up in the 1st 5 games to show up for the final 6 games. I can easily see a 10-2 season. We have more talent than anybody left (other than UM - and that is essentially equal).

We need to do 2 things to take the next step
1) Close out games better
2) Move past mistakes (and losses) better.
Great stuff!
The part about mistakes is very true.

What is interesting is that with the CFP goal still very much on the table prior to last Saturday's kickoff, the team came out and played their worst game (physically and mentally) in the past 2 years with everything in their favor - a week off, a home game, and an opponent that was dealing with injuries and an upset loss the prior week.

Which really concerns me for this upcoming game against Indiana and the remainder of the season. I have no feel for how they will respond and neither scenario (no more losses or several more losses) would surprise me.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I

Hindsight in the bolded quote. Had Penn State managed to run out the clock following the MSU punt, Dantonio would be the recipient of Spartan fan venom. He made a decision based on what he thought would work ... and it did. Sometimes it doesn't. If #21 simply holds onto the interception, Dantonio's "great decision" becomes a major blunder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT