ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone used 23andme dna tests....

Centex, we had a similar experience. Both my wife and daughter had been diagnosed with celiac a few years ago. My daughter's 23 & me came back with a high probability of celiac. Of course, we already knew that, but it was a an interesting verification. You may already know this, but either you or your wife/daughter's mom are carriers. Several people on my wife's mother's side of the family have it.

Funny story, the husband of a co-worker got a call a few months ago with a surprise from a 20 something daughter in Oklahoma he didn't know he had. Not a bad story. A woman he dated prior to his wife. She found out several weeks after they drifted apart. Decided to keep the baby. The kid gets a 23 & Me that matches her to an Aunt. She contacts the aunt, yadda yadda....she connects to the dad.

So true, for instance, my wife is 1/2 Martian we found out.
The average DNA differences between present human populations and the Neanderthal sequences we have sequenced so far is something around 0.12- 0.15 %. So it’s a bit misleading when you would get a result saying you’re “ 2.5 % Neanderthal “. All out of Africa ancestral populations have some Neanderthal - derived sequences.
Neanderthals were large - brained, but they were short, stocky, ugly hairy, dangerously inbred and probably smelly. So yeah, I can see how women would recognize the Neanderthal in many men.

LOL.

No, the Ancestry pay site is separate from the genetic testing. And yes, the Ancestry genetic testing part of the website does provide names of relatives assuming the other parties (your cousins) used their real names...some people want to remain anonymous. Ancestry usually gives you the option to attempt to contact a relative they ID via their website ( although I believe people can opt out of this? ). Of course, it is up to the other party to decide whether they want to respond to your inquiry.

Ancestry only provides the countries in which your cousins are located, not specific addresses. I had more than 13,000 matches of people possibly related to me (they give you a confidence level of that person being related to you using a bar graph). Several first and second cousins (people I've known for many decades) were identified correctly. And no, I did not know beforehand that any of them had had this genetic testing completed. I found it slightly humorous to learn I have a possible relative in England whose last name is Trump.

A couple of distant relatives never responded to my wife's attempt to communicate with them. Most, however, did respond to her request for additional info.

My wife and I do not pay to subscribe to the regular Ancestry account by the way.
There is an entire Facebook page populated by the literally hundreds of half siblings that came out of a Cali fertility clinic. Try that one on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT