ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone here ever had a family member or friend have a stroke and go through recovery?

Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
My mother is 92 and had a stroke yesterday. She was making lunch for my dad, brother, and son, when she suddenly froze in front of the stove. It was clear she was having a stroke and they called an ambulance and quickly got her to Paoli hospital. At that point she could not talk or move left side of her body. They then transferred her to Brynn Marr Hospital and had a neurosurgeon waiting who went in via cath and opened up the block

After the procedure, she was able to move all of her arms and legs, she said her name, and knew where she was. Unfortunately, I am out of the country and heading to the airport now.

Have any of you guys had experience with loved ones or friends going through strokes and the potential of full or a good recovery?

My mother is 92 and had a stroke yesterday. She was making lunch for my dad, brother, and son, when she suddenly froze in front of the stove. It was clear she was having a stroke and they called an ambulance and quickly got her to Paoli hospital. At that point she could not talk or move left side of her body. They then transferred her to Brynn Marr Hospital and had a neurosurgeon waiting who went in via cath and opened up the block

After the procedure, she was able to move all of her arms and legs, she said her name, and knew where she was. Unfortunately, I am out of the country and heading to the airport now.

Have any of you guys had experience with loved ones or friends going through strokes and the potential of full or a good recovery?

At that age, the likely outcome is that there will be some damage and lasting effects. If they were able to administer the clot blocker, that’s a positive and should aid your mom. I’ve found that even if speech and mobility do return, they just seem slower and decline is more recognized. I was positive my mom wasn’t leaving the hospital and that was four years ago. She said the same word for five days and on the sixth day, I went into her room and we had a normal conversation. Best wishes to you and your mom. Pulling for herrecovery.

My grandfather had multiple strokes in the years before he passed. He had one and fully recovered, then had another one a few years later and was never the same. Constantly stumbled over his words and would sometimes go through all of his kids and grandkids names before he got to mine when he would talk to me. Also lost full function of one side of his body for his last few years before he passed.

As I am no doctor, I couldn’t tell you the recovery chances and rates, I just know from my own anecdotal evidence that they can fully recover. I think it just depends on type of stroke and severity.

Reactions: LionJim

A lot depends on how quickly the brain swelling was treated. Do you know if she received an injection of tPA at the first hospital?

Location of the stroke is really important. As an analogy: a small earthquake in Montana produces very little damage but that same strength earthquake in Manhattan causes utter detestation.

My FIL had his stroke in "Manhattan" so to speak.

Last edited:
So she had the clot busted up within two hours of the stroke via a cath up into the brain. CAT scan yesterday looked real good with no major damage. There is some very minor brain cell damage at this point. No bleeding and MRI today. Doc said he rarely sees "pipes" as strong as hers.

She can move her arms and legs, and is writing 7-8 word sentences freehand in a straight line. The sentences dont make alot of sense, but that is somewhat expected. She can say up to two three words at a time.

Would think she will go to Bryn Mawr Rehab later in the week. I'd like to think she has a good chance at close to full recovery. Thanks for your input.

So she had the clot busted up within two hours of the stroke via a cath up into the brain. CAT scan yesterday looked real good with no major damage. There is some very minor brain cell damage at this point. No bleeding and MRI today. Doc said he rarely sees "pipes" as strong as hers.

She can move her arms and legs, and is writing 7-8 word sentences freehand in a straight line. The sentences dont make alot of sense, but that is somewhat expected. She can say up to two three words at a time.

Would think she will go to Bryn Mawr Rehab later in the week. I'd like to think she has a good chance at close to full recovery. Thanks for your input.
Hope it all works out

My mother had a stroke on Mother's Day 2017, she was 63. Bad diet and no exercise for years caused diabetes, she just kept on keeping on, result 6 years after being diagnosed with diabetes she had a stroke

She was upstairs in the bedroom reading and sat up to get out of bed, fell to the floor, started yelling. Father was downstairs, he immediately called 911 and she was at the hospital within 15 minutes of the stroke occurring. Got the shot and everything. Left side was the one effected. Luckily control of her face returned quickly and she has no trouble talking, eating, drinking etc. Spent several months at an inpatient rehab facility, unfortunately the paralysis in her left leg and left arm was pretty bad. Then she tried to do too much after coming home and fell and broke her left humerus. Back to inpatient rehab for another couple months. Her left arm has never recovered much but her left leg is pretty good now thanks to regular exercise walking with the hemicane

Your mother being able to move all her limbs so soon after it happened is a very good sign, my mother couldn't move her left leg at all for several weeks after and couldn't move her left arm at all until 2 months after, and the very little bit she could move it then hasn't improved since.

92 is 92 but if your mother does what she can physically, is dedicated to doing it as much as she can, consistently, it sounds like she has a fair chance to make very good progress recovering.

Reactions: JoeFi
ADVERTISEMENT