ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to argue against Maryland being a good addition to the BT.

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
Women's LAX national champs. Men's LAX in the NCAA final today. Baseball went to the BT champ game ( but loses). Women's basketball nationally competitive year after year. Men's basketball should be pre-season ranked in top 10, probably a top 5. Field hockey always good. Men's soccer usually ranked high. The jury is still out on football, but so far about middle of the BT pack. Sports deficiencies include volleyball and wrestling off the top of my head, but overall Maryland sports bring pluses to the BT. Academically, the school is solid, including in research. I'm sure others can identify other positives and negatives, but I doubt anyone can argue convincingly that the balance sheet doesn't favor the positive.

Women's LAX national champs. Men's LAX in the NCAA final today. Baseball went to the BT champ game ( but loses). Women's basketball nationally competitive year after year. Men's basketball should be pre-season ranked in top 10, probably a top 5. Field hockey always good. Men's soccer usually ranked high. The jury is still out on football, but so far about middle of the BT pack. Sports deficiencies include volleyball and wrestling off the top of my head, but overall Maryland sports bring pluses to the BT. Academically, the school is solid, including in research. I'm sure others can identify other positives and negatives, but I doubt anyone can argue convincingly that the balance sheet doesn't favor the positive.
I agree they add value. They are a far better pickup than Rutgers which has a marginal sports program.

Balance sheets, or more appropriately income statements in this case, are stated in dollars and if Delany added Maryland for the reasons you state then he's a bigger idiot than even I think he is.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Doesn't matter. We will lose a lot to Maryland in the sports that count. It will improve Maryland. It will erode us. This was sold to Penn State like it was a good thing. We will regret it, just like we regret the Big 10. But hey...Yay Maryland. Woo hoo.

Reactions: Fed Express
It will behoove whoever PSU's football coach is to continue to recruit the DMV well, or the addition of Maryland will hurt us in football.

Their football team needs to learn the art of the handshake. They're in the big leagues now.

I agree. I will have mixed feelings about Maryland in the B1G until I see their football team shake hands. And then when Penn State gets back to full strength in 2016 or 2017, I hope Franklin pounds them without mercy year after year. Not so much for what their players did but for the way Edsall winked at it.

Maryland is a great addition, don't worry about the shake hands thing, it's whatever. MD actually does something for the conference unlike Rutgers whose just completely useless

They were added to bring in the TV market in the Baltimore, DC, and northern Va area. It also gives the BIG its first venture into the "south". I think it's will be a successful addition, particularly if there is further league expansion into the VA or Carolina areas.

Other than the handshake incident and the lack of class shown by their players and coach, they are a fine addition.

They embarrassed themselves and their university on that day, though.

Doesn't matter. We will lose a lot to Maryland in the sports that count. It will improve Maryland. It will erode us. This was sold to Penn State like it was a good thing. We will regret it, just like we regret the Big 10. But hey...Yay Maryland. Woo hoo.

Yeah, we should just join the MAC or the Patriot League so that we win more games in the sports that matter...

Balance sheets, or more appropriately income statements in this case, are stated in dollars and if Delany added Maryland for the reasons you state then he's a bigger idiot than even I think he is.
Art - are there any hard numbers that indicate if adding Rutgers and Maryland actually brought more money to the big ten via cable and increased revenue for each individual big 10 team?

What are your thoughts at this point on whether adding Rutgers and Maryland was good move?

Adding Maryland and Rutgers was a great move. The Big 10 (demographics) was in a long term decline. Adding the two teams opens up massive population areas for recruiting and "viewers". Maryland has been a BB power for many many years, so that will continue. Their football program will be up and down. As for Rutgers, they have REAL potential. I believe they MUST hire some "name" coaches with recruiting personalities. NJ is "loaded" with Div 1 talent.
Will be interesting to see how St. Johns BB does with Mullin and Pinckney (names that recruits will love).

Adding Maryland and Rutgers was a great move. The Big 10 (demographics) was in a long term decline. Adding the two teams opens up massive population areas for recruiting and "viewers". Maryland has been a BB power for many many years, so that will continue. Their football program will be up and down. As for Rutgers, they have REAL potential. I believe they MUST hire some "name" coaches with recruiting personalities. NJ is "loaded" with Div 1 talent.
Will be interesting to see how St. Johns BB does with Mullin and Pinckney (names that recruits will love).

I'm sorry but your stretching on Rutgers having REAL potential... I was at the game last year in Piscataway and let me tell you their athletic facilities are atrocious, Oak Hill Academy in Virginia has a nicer basketball facility. The stadium is fair but not big ten level, than there's that AWFUL bubble sitting next to it. My god that thing is ugly, just horrible. Unless Rutgers gets an insane donor or a natiional brand using them as a showcase (ei Kevin Plank and Maryland) they will continue to be the worst school athletically in the conferance, but hey... good news is we get an easy conferance win every year in every sport

I also don't see how Rutgers is any better than Uconn, At least Uconn brings basketball to the table, what does Rutgers bring? They are 30 minutes from New York, big deal, no one in New York cares about Rutgers, No one outside of North Jersey cares about Rutgers.

They have the worst fans in the big 10 and continue to embarrass themselves year after year with Mike Rice, Condaliza Rice, Ray Rice (lots of Rice), Eric Legrand graduating speaker, bullying gay students to death, members of their football team robbing people at gunpoint, plus not winning a single big 10 team title in any sport... Not even finishing better than 4th in the conferencein any team sport... Again, what does Rutgers provide other than annoying fans who now feel like their entitled to something and jerk off watching old videos of 2006 Louisville?

I also don't see how Rutgers is any better than Uconn, At least Uconn brings basketball to the table, what does Rutgers bring? They are 30 minutes from New York, big deal, no one in New York cares about Rutgers, No one outside of North Jersey cares about Rutgers.

They have the worst fans in the big 10 and continue to embarrass themselves year after year with Mike Rice, Condaliza Rice, Ray Rice (lots of Rice), Eric Legrand graduating speaker, bullying gay students to death, members of their football team robbing people at gunpoint, plus not winning a single big 10 team title in any sport... Not even finishing better than 4th in the conferencein any team sport... Again, what does Rutgers provide other than annoying fans who now feel like their entitled to something and jerk off watching old videos of 2006 Louisville?

That was terrible what that university did to LeGrand. What a joke. Also, I made the same point, UCONN or Syracuse would have been much better choices. If the B1G's aim was the New York market, both of those choices would have been better than Rutgers. Rutgers is New York City's team, but unfortunately only in the mind of Rutgers fans. And Alexi Lalas.

Have to disagree on BOTH UConn and Syracuse. Both of their BB programs have been buried in academic fraud, in order to win. Plus market areas for recruiting and fans is WAY WAY WAY smaller than the NY area. NJ is a million times deeper with Div 1 talent. In addition Rutgers is an excellent academic university and fits well in the Big.
I do agree, as of now, they are a mess, but I do "think" there is potential. I am older than most on this board and remember when PSU football was not much, but had "potential". My cousin played for Rip :)
Imagine if Rutgers had hired Franklin ?? That is the kind of move they need to make. Their current coaches are like dryer lint :)

That was terrible what that university did to LeGrand. What a joke. Also, I made the same point, UCONN or Syracuse would have been much better choices. If the B1G's aim was the New York market, both of those choices would have been better than Rutgers. Rutgers is New York City's team, but unfortunately only in the mind of Rutgers fans. And Alexi Lalas.

Could you please elaborate on the Legrand situation? What did I miss?

Reactions: Alphabets
Art - are there any hard numbers that indicate if adding Rutgers and Maryland actually brought more money to the big ten via cable and increased revenue for each individual big 10 team?

What are your thoughts at this point on whether adding Rutgers and Maryland was good move?

No hard numbers yet. We'll have a better picture when negotiations for first-tier media rights get serious in 2016 and Fox reveals it's hand re the BTN. Lots of big numbers being tossed around.

Last edited:
"Good" for who and for what?
Long-term probably more power for the "conference" and more money for those two schools.
Never mind that the concept of the "conference" has been rendered meaningless, but that started when PSU joined the B10.

It was 'anticipated' cable subscribers in a geographic area. That is why we have Rutgers and Maryland in the Big Ten. And Art is correct -- the anticipated dollars (which will be countered by the real subscriber numbers and conservative subscriber estimates by the industry types) will be hammered out at the table during the next round of negotiations. Everyone suspects all B10 members will get at least $30 million each per year and that is a lowball contract.

Maryland really had no choice but to leap so no surprise there. Their athletic department was/is a sinking ship and the lifeline appeared. They were headed towards serious debt, not typical D1 red.

Rutgers? NYC cable market. That was that.

What is the value a school brings to a conference? Impossible to say, since its all about TV dollars. It would be interesting to see what the conference contract would look like without Maryland and Rutgers. Would it be a number tremendously less than their shares? In other words, will their value really amount to anything? If you grow the pie but have two more entities to feed what have you gained? It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Art is following it more than I am.

Last edited:

I don't even know how to respond to this. Are you afraid of your own shadow and does a dark cloud follow you around all day?

MD has been good and it won't hurt PSU at all . We are the big dog and will always be compared to MD. We will win a majority of the DMV recruits and we will beat MD in football 99% of the time.

I was on Maryland's campus for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's no University Park. In football, they'll be like a little brother who is a pest, but not really harmful.

I hope you guys are right. So far we're 0-3 in the revenue sports against them. They mock us, have zero respect and have no reason not to. I know all about the history, I lived it. 77-0, etc. Those days are over. There is parity now, and this conference has proved to have weakened us and strengthened everybody else, except for wrestling, women's volleyball and soccer, and so on. We will see. I'll happily be proven wrong.

I hope you guys are right. So far we're 0-3 in the revenue sports against them. They mock us, have zero respect and have no reason not to. I know all about the history, I lived it. 77-0, etc. Those days are over. There is parity now, and this conference has proved to have weakened us and strengthened everybody else, except for wrestling, women's volleyball and soccer, and so on. We will see. I'll happily be proven wrong.

I believe we will mirror each other in BB and football. We will, in short order, be a Big Time Player in Football and they will be, Maryland :) As for BB it will be the exact opposite, quite often we will "struggle" and they will continue to be a Big Time Player. As for Rutgers, THEY need to hire "coaches" that kids will want to play for.

I don't even know how to respond to this. Are you afraid of your own shadow and does a dark cloud follow you around all day?

MD has been good and it won't hurt PSU at all . We are the big dog and will always be compared to MD. We will win a majority of the DMV recruits and we will beat MD in football 99% of the time.
How hard is this to understand?
When you accept a weak sister that you are beating as an equal, you lend credibility to them and undermine yourself.
But who cares, when there is $ to be made for the B10.

If Chambers can take the next step and get to the Big dance every year, then his recruiting will continue to improve. The jury is still out on Mayland's Turgeon if he can navigate a talented 2015 team to the F4 with a Top 5 team preseason. Underperform and thats good for Chambers as far as recruiting vs. Turgeon as long as he gets us to the NCAAs. Fyi the BIG is very deep with good teams this year; a winning record in the BIG would be fantastic this coming year. Hope he does it.

Adding Rutgers and Maryland was an absolutely outstanding move. The Big Ten now owns the dominant P-5 University in every DMA (Designated Market Area) on the I-95 corridor between New York City and Washington DC. That's roughly the same number of television households as the States of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi combined.

With our new Tier One negotiations for 2017/2018 now ongoing, The Big Ten is primed to be the financially dominant Conference in the NCAA. Both FOX and ESPN want us BAD. We are the last major sports entity (or prize as some would say) to be won this decade.

What the addition of Rutgers and Maryland has done is allow us to go into those negotiations and now present ESPN, FOX, Disney, or whomever DVR and VCR proof advertising exposure in the Number 1, Number 8, and Number 26 DMA's in the United States of America. It also vastly increases the advertising revenue potential in the Number 4 DMA in the Country (Philadelphia) that encompasses all of South Jersey and Northern Delaware.

Right now, it's looking like a battle between FOX and ESPN for our services. Both have their advantages and disadvantages if we go all in with one or the other. We may possibly split the contract between both as the combined Rights fees they would be able to pay may outdistance the ability of going with just one.

FOX offers us:

1.) We would be FOX's big fish in its College pond. No SEC or ACC to contend with.
2.) All of our Games on FOX's main Network would be National. No Regional Games.
3.) We would be the Number One sports entity on FOX Sports 1 throughout the year (our basketball rights renew in 2017/2018 also).
4.) Unlimited promotion on FOX's Sunday NFL Coverage.
5.) FOX is more desperate to have us and will be more than happy to sustain a bidding war with Disney.
6.) There will be easy cross pollination between FOX and BTN since they own 51%.

ESPN/Disney offers us:

1.) Continued exposure on the most recognized network in sports television.
2.) Continued exposure on ABC (though most games would continue to be regional).
3.) ESPN may not need us as bad as FOX, but there is absolutely no question that they do want us. They don't want to lose the rights to the dominant P-5 programs in the Numbers 1,3,4,8,12, 15, 19, 22, 26, 27, and 32 DMAs in the Country (there are 210 DMAs).

Ohio State's National Championship win, along with Big Ten wins against three of the other four P-5 Champions was HUGE. Add that to the way the Big Ten dominated the other P-5 Conference in our region, the ACC, and our stock couldn't be higher.

The better Rutgers and Maryland do in their Non-Conference schedules, the more money we will make. Everyone loves to watch a winner, and there are a LOT of potential "watchers" in that I-95 corridor.

I didn't even get into the added benefits Rutgers and Maryland offer to areas such as Big Ten Network revenue, recruiting (we are already reaping the benefits of that in Basketball), exposure, etc. But make no mistake, our marketability to potential suitors is right now astronomical.

Adding Rutgers and Maryland was an absolutely outstanding move. The Big Ten now owns the dominant P-5 University in every DMA (Designated Market Area) on the I-95 corridor between New York City and Washington DC. That's roughly the same number of television households as the States of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi combined.

With our new Tier One negotiations for 2017/2018 now ongoing, The Big Ten is primed to be the financially dominant Conference in the NCAA. Both FOX and ESPN want us BAD. We are the last major sports entity (or prize as some would say) to be won this decade.

What the addition of Rutgers and Maryland has done is allow us to go into those negotiations and now present ESPN, FOX, Disney, or whomever DVR and VCR proof advertising exposure in the Number 1, Number 8, and Number 26 DMA's in the United States of America. It also vastly increases the advertising revenue potential in the Number 4 DMA in the Country (Philadelphia) that encompasses all of South Jersey and Northern Delaware.

Right now, it's looking like a battle between FOX and ESPN for our services. Both have their advantages and disadvantages if we go all in with one or the other. We may possibly split the contract between both as the combined Rights fees they would be able to pay may outdistance the ability of going with just one.

FOX offers us:

1.) We would be FOX's big fish in its College pond. No SEC or ACC to contend with.
2.) All of our Games on FOX's main Network would be National. No Regional Games.
3.) We would be the Number One sports entity on FOX Sports 1 throughout the year (our basketball rights renew in 2017/2018 also).
5.) FOX is more desperate to have us and will be more than happy to sustain a bidding war with Disney.
6.) There will be easy cross pollination between FOX and BTN since they own 51%.

ESPN/Disney offers us:

2.) Continued exposure on ABC (though most games would continue to be regional).
3.) ESPN may not need us as bad as FOX, but there is absolutely no question that they do want us. They don't want to lose the rights to the dominant P-5 programs in the Numbers 1,3,4,8,12, 15, 19, 22, 26, 27, and 32 DMAs in the Country (there are 210 DMAs).

Ohio State's National Championship win, along with Big Ten wins against three of the other four P-5 Champions was HUGE. Add that to the way the Big Ten dominated the other P-5 Conference in our region, the ACC, and our stock couldn't be higher.

The better Rutgers and Maryland do in their Non-Conference schedules, the more money we will make. Everyone loves to watch a winner, and there are a LOT of potential "watchers" in that I-95 corridor.

I didn't even get into the added benefits Rutgers and Maryland offer to areas such as Big Ten Network revenue, recruiting (we are already reaping the benefits of that in Basketball), exposure, etc. But make no mistake, our marketability to potential suitors is right now astronomical.

I think you're too tightly binding the number of TV sets in an area with the amount of money that will be brought in. If the cable model of the past were to continue indefinitely then it would make sense that Rutgers will bring in big money, but the model is changing. People are getting tired of paying for things they don't watch. Roku is ascending, Sling TV is ascending, things like buying HBO and only HBO if that's what you want are ascending. The idea of bringing in a lot of money solely based on your geographic location is descending.

You say Rutgers brings in as many TV sets as Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi combined. Suppose a conference had a choice of bringing in one of the following:

Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Rutgers

Which would they bring in? The top five would definitely be far ahead of Rutgers. Mississippi and Mississippi State are tossups. Point being, in the long run how many TV sets in your local area isn't what matters but rather how many eyeballs across the country you can attract is what matters. For better or worse, college football is becoming more and more a national sport.

And you think that's a good sample size? Especially for football? Geeesh!

What was your record again last year? What was Rutgers? Who had more conference wins? Oh yea and if our horrific QB didn't throw 5 int's vs you we should have won by 20.

What was your record again last year? What was Rutgers? Who had more conference wins? Oh yea and if our horrific QB didn't throw 5 int's vs you we should have won by 20.
I guess the Sandusky scandal and the sanctions were a figment of my imagination. Yeah, we were on a level playing field last season. o_O

I think you're too tightly binding the number of TV sets in an area with the amount of money that will be brought in. If the cable model of the past were to continue indefinitely then it would make sense that Rutgers will bring in big money, but the model is changing. People are getting tired of paying for things they don't watch. Roku is ascending, Sling TV is ascending, things like buying HBO and only HBO if that's what you want are ascending. The idea of bringing in a lot of money solely based on your geographic location is descending.

You say Rutgers brings in as many TV sets as Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi combined. Suppose a conference had a choice of bringing in one of the following:

Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Rutgers

Which would they bring in? The top five would definitely be far ahead of Rutgers. Mississippi and Mississippi State are tossups. Point being, in the long run how many TV sets in your local area isn't what matters but rather how many eyeballs across the country you can attract is what matters. For better or worse, college football is becoming more and more a national sport.

NEWSFLASH!!!! "Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Mississippi State" were already in Power 5 Conferences. And I was talking about our First Tier negotiations, not cable. I didn't even get into that.

What the heck were you reading? I always laugh whenever I hear someone throw out your argument, because it means they have an agenda, and are trying to steer the subject into a niche area.

But since you've decided to get into an ADDITIONAL area of how the additions of Rutgers and Maryland helps us, lets talk cable.

In ADDITION to the benefits Rutgers and Maryland gives us in our First Tier negotiations, the CABLE penetration in the 4 new DMA's we acquired and the Philadelphia DMA (which of course includes South Jersey and Northern Delaware) is roughly 80%, or 11,116,000 million Households. Since the South isn't as heavily cabled as the I-95 Corridor, that represents roughly as many cable homes as Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Tennessee COMBINED (11,170,000 million).

Of course those figures will be going down in the years to come with the new technologies available, but I swear some of you guys think that major media companies can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Do you really believe that you are smarter than they are and they can't foresee what you are warning will happen??? They help to develop and deliver those new technologies.

All the Big Ten Network would do if they weren't getting enough revenue on cable is they would go to a Pay Per View model, or, as you state, an HBO model, or both. Or I can give you a million other options they could use to distribute their product.

The combined current enrollment of Rutgers and Maryland is over 102,000. Add in the Alumni, parents of the students and Alumni, average fans that are loyal to their State Flagship University, fans of other Big Ten Schools that will be playing those teams, etc., and you have a vastly increased pool of potential subscribers that would be willing to pony up an additional $10 dollars a month to get the channel from SOMEWHERE where it could be streamed or broadcasted.

People like me who live in Western New York and are only paying 10 cents per month for the channel would fork over $10.00 per month in a heartbeat if it was unavailable anywhere else. That offsets 100 current cable subscribers.

That's just one extremely elementary solution to the so called catastrophic problem. If it ever came to someone having to do some extensive number crunching, I can assure you that there are people in the Communications Industry that are as well equipped to do it as you are.

NEWSFLASH!!!! "Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Mississippi State" were already in Power 5 Conferences. And I was talking about our First Tier negotiations, not cable. I didn't even get into that.

What the heck were you reading? I always laugh whenever I hear someone throw out your argument, because it means they have an agenda, and are trying to steer the subject into a niche area.

But since you've decided to get into an ADDITIONAL area of how the additions of Rutgers and Maryland helps us, lets talk cable.

In ADDITION to the benefits Rutgers and Maryland gives us in our First Tier negotiations, the CABLE penetration in the 4 new DMA's we acquired and the Philadelphia DMA (which of course includes South Jersey and Northern Delaware) is roughly 80%, or 11,116,000 million Households. Since the South isn't as heavily cabled as the I-95 Corridor, that represents roughly as many cable homes as Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Tennessee COMBINED (11,170,000 million).

Of course those figures will be going down in the years to come with the new technologies available, but I swear some of you guys think that major media companies can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Do you really believe that you are smarter than they are and they can't foresee what you are warning will happen??? They help to develop and deliver those new technologies.

All the Big Ten Network would do if they weren't getting enough revenue on cable is they would go to a Pay Per View model, or, as you state, an HBO model, or both. Or I can give you a million other options they could use to distribute their product.

The combined current enrollment of Rutgers and Maryland is over 102,000. Add in the Alumni, parents of the students and Alumni, average fans that are loyal to their State Flagship University, fans of other Big Ten Schools that will be playing those teams, etc., and you have a vastly increased pool of potential subscribers that would be willing to pony up an additional $10 dollars a month to get the channel from SOMEWHERE where it could be streamed or broadcasted.

People like me who live in Western New York and are only paying 10 cents per month for the channel would fork over $10.00 per month in a heartbeat if it was unavailable anywhere else. That offsets 100 current cable subscribers.

That's just one extremely elementary solution to the so called catastrophic problem. If it ever came to someone having to do some extensive number crunching, I can assure you that there are people in the Communications Industry that are as well equipped to do it as you are.

What I was trying to say is that overall more people want to watch good teams (Florida, Alabama, etc) play than want to watch not so good teams (Rutgers, etc) play. And as time passes we're moving more and more to people being able to pay for what they want to watch instead of being forced to pay for something just because of where they live.

What if all the conferences eventually have to go to a pay-per-view model for their conference TV network? Then people are going to pay for what they want, not what is foisted upon them. A lot of people live in New Jersey but it's not overflowing with college football fans and lots of the college football fans there are want to see the good teams play even if said teams are far away.

The old Big East football conference used to have Rutgers (New Jersey), Boston College (New England), Temple (Philly), Miami (South Florida) and Syracuse (New York). They should have been killing with those big markets, right? But no, because nobody wants to watch a lot of those teams play. Alabama-Auburn probably gets bigger ratings than BC-Syracuse even in New York and New England, not to mention the rest of the country.

ETA: The cable companies making money however they can is one thing, the sports conferences doing it is another. The cable companies are going to look out for themselves, not for the sports conferences. If a cable company can make more money by pushing SEC football in New England, or whatever, they're going to do it.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda would've had PSU at 10 wins last season. Newsflash, RU didn't score the entire second half of the game. It's not like interceptions just naturally happen--in most cases, the defense has something to do with it. Good try, though.

FOX offers us:

ESPN/Disney offers us:

Have you seen the ratings in those DMAs? They suck major ****ing ass, even for the games the BTN ballyhoos. Were it otherwise, Fox would already own the BTN outright.

There is going to be no bidding war. No single network will lay out the kind of money Delany is talking about. Negotiations will be over who gets what pieces for how much, and then Fox steals the BTN and farms out the third-tier rights to its regional networks in the Midwest.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda would've had PSU at 10 wins last season. Newsflash, RU didn't score the entire second half of the game. It's not like interceptions just naturally happen--in most cases, the defense has something to do with it. Good try, though.

That or your QB sucks ass. I'm good either way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT