ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Valley Crisis: Business Is Dismal, Penn State Facing Comprehensive Furloughs, Athletics’ AD Pay -20% & Pegula Staff Pay - Whacked By $50%

I’m guessing you were the one that mostly changed ... we change as we get older ... loosen up the mind set and enjoy things for what they are ... things change... Happy Valley is still an awesome place with plenty of green grass and nice people 😎 ... and I’m not saying I disagree with your last segment but big picture - I truly believe it’s us that change and memories from are past make the present different because our perspective was different then as well ...
You may be right, but I tried to accept the changes. I had 40 years invested and, as I aged, I wanted to spend increasing time in the Valley that helped mold the man I had become. It didn't work. The only happiness I now find there is in memory. Life is too short to keep trying. I have other places to visit. New memories to make. Being a bit melodramatic, I have seen my Alma Mater for the last time. I won't miss it.

Last edited:
Reactions: psualt and 91Joe95
It's not "Pegula's Arena," it belongs to Penn State. Pegula gave money to PSU for it to be built. He also contributed money to underwrite operating expenses, including salaries. But the folks working at the ice house are employees of PSU. So how are the salaries of some slashed by 50% while others don't suffer nearly as much?
He doesn’t know because it’s made up bullshit.

You may be right, but I tried to accept the changes. I had 40 years invested and, as I aged, I wanted to spend increasing time in the Valley that helped mold the man I became. It didn't work. The only happiness I now find there is in memory. Life is too short to keep trying. I have other places to visit. New memories to make. Being a bit melodramatic, I have seen my Alma Mater for the last time. I won't miss it.
This is some of your best work.

Good businesses will adjust as they always have. I don’t see too many buggy whip stores around anymore. Restaurants always open with a bang and 3 years later they are gone and a new business takes over its space. People change, markets change, customs change, society changes - whether it’s Covid or due to technology like computers, smart phones, watches. What did we do before email? Before message boards? State college, Penn State, and every other community will adjust.

Good businesses are being put out of business right now. There are good people being crushed in both good and bad businesses, and it has nothing to do with their actions or anything they can control.

It's not "Pegula's Arena," it belongs to Penn State. Pegula gave money to PSU for it to be built. He also contributed money to underwrite operating expenses, including salaries. But the folks working at the ice house are employees of PSU. So how are the salaries of some slashed by 50% while others don't suffer nearly as much?

Ryan Patrick did lose in the range of 50% of his normal income last year because he had a ‘Special Deal’ that allowed for him to operate 6 - Summer Hockey Camps in previous years at Pegula Arena.
Normal full time Pegula staffers lost $20% of their normal income — Just like the other Athletics Employees. — Thanks for mentioning that to me — I was distracted by the Penguins & Flyers

Good businesses are being put out of business right now. There are good people being crushed in both good and bad businesses, and it has nothing to do with their actions or anything they can control.
Whether they are good people or not has nothing to do with it. It’s a devastating time for everyone. If I go to a crowded indoor place like the Phyrst with unprotected customers for a long time and catch the virus I could die since I have underlying conditions. It’s not a risk I’m willing to take. And I don’t approve of allowing others who may infect me to become carriers either. So sorry if it has a negative impact on some of the establishments I used to frequent who are run by good people. If I do takeout I over tip, what else can we do?

• Sad
Reactions: Pecolion
Whether they are good people or not has nothing to do with it. It’s a devastating time for everyone. If I go to a crowded indoor place like the Phyrst with unprotected customers for a long time and catch the virus I could die since I have underlying conditions. It’s not a risk I’m willing to take. And I don’t approve of allowing others who may infect me to become carriers either. So sorry if it has a negative impact on some of the establishments I used to frequent who are run by good people. If I do takeout I over tip, what else can we do?
I seriously hope you are kidding around here. You think, because you have underlying conditions, that young people should completely modify their lives because if you decide to join the public at some store/event they might transmit the virus to you? I'm getting a headache even thinking about this crazy talk.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. IF YOU HAVE UNDERLYING CONDITIONS YOU NEED TO PROTECT YOURSELF! This is brought to you by someone who has underlying conditions.

Who do you blame if you fall while cutting your grass?

I seriously hope you are kidding around here. You think, because you have underlying conditions, that young people should completely modify their lives because if you decide to join the public at some store/event they might transmit the virus to you? I'm getting a headache even thinking about this crazy talk.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. IF YOU HAVE UNDERLYING CONDITIONS YOU NEED TO PROTECT YOURSELF! This is brought to you by someone who has underlying conditions.

Who do you blame if you fall while cutting your grass?
I don’t cut it - I give someone else a job. But thanks for your concern.

For me it came down to three things. First, there were the changes on campus....more and more buildings, less grass and trees. Growth for the sake of growth. Second, the attitude changed. Its hard to explain, but I no longer felt like part of a family and more like just another source of revenue. Maybe I was the one that changed. Finally, there was the treatment of Joe and the continuing arrogance of the BOT and Administration. All I know is that I had a love affair with Dear Old State for the better part of 40 years, sent my two daughters there, and now have no desire to ever set foot on campus again.
This is so tough for me. I'm a lifelong psu FOOTBALL fan who still roots for other sports to be successful.

But I am not a graduate... just a fan.

So when all this BS got rolling I had to take a hard look at the program I root for and ask... why?

Not the same program.. not the same kind of teams or kids (the more woofing i see the more i don't see the face of Joe and only Joe keeps me rooting... sonewhere in time my Dad says 'if not for Joe'). Still the only team I root for in CFB but no longer a priority in my life. Soon, it will all fade to black and no one who was once there will really care.

Welcome to the portal, welcome to 2021, welcome to hell on earth.

Thankfully, we're moving out (Montana or Italy) first chance we get (i never considered Italy an option as there was no way I'd miss psu games... no longer the case).

A few years ago I'd be sad.. no longer. Sandy and company has greased the wheels of my departure. Time to get busy living.. or get busy dying. Me? I'm among the living and moving ahead. Good luck to the rest.

Oh, so it's ok for you to try and live your normal life but not others.

Some good news from Happy Valley. We have a new hotel on Pugh and Beaver at the Glennland building. Scholar Hotel opened yesterday. Beautiful property and in the Hilton family. There are 4 other hotel projects out there when things bounce back. HV will bounce back. Just hope the right investors come to town. Talked to a hotel real estate friend last week and he said a lot of hotels are on or will be on the market as bargain basement prices. Especially in the big cities. Unfortunately a lot of the money right now is coming from the wrong places....

This is so tough for me. I'm a lifelong psu FOOTBALL fan who still roots for other sports to be successful.

So when all this BS got rolling I had to take a hard look at the program I root for and ask... why?

Not the same program.. not the same kind of teams or kids (the more woofing i see the more i don't see the face of Joe and only Joe keeps me rooting... sonewhere in time my Dad says 'if not for Joe'). Still the only team I root for in CFB but no longer a priority in my life. Soon, it will all fade to black and no one who was once there will really care.

Thankfully, we're moving out (Montana or Italy) first chance we get (i never considered Italy an option as there was no way I'd miss psu games... no longer the case).

A few years ago I'd be sad.. no longer. Sandy and company has greased the wheels of my departure. Time to get busy living.. or get busy dying. Me? I'm among the living and moving ahead. Good luck to the rest.
Make sure you take a photo of the statue with you along with enough old t-shirts to catch your “excitement” when you move.

Some good news from Happy Valley. We have a new hotel on Pugh and Beaver at the Glennland building. Scholar Hotel opened yesterday. Beautiful property and in the Hilton family. There are 4 other hotel projects out there when things bounce back. HV will bounce back. Just hope the right investors come to town. Talked to a hotel real estate friend last week and he said a lot of hotels are on or will be on the market as bargain basement prices. Especially in the big cities. Unfortunately a lot of the money right now is coming from the wrong places....

The powers that be love it when a good plan comes together.

Reactions: 91Joe95
While I’m not totally thrilled with all the “high rise” development in the town of State College, I still think Happy Valley maintains much of its charm and beauty as when I was a student in the early 80’s. I’ve planned for years to retire there, with an additional place for 3 months in winter somewhere warmer, and still on this path. Have had a townhouse up there since Fall of ‘15 and thoroughly enjoy our time there, whenever we get up.

Noticing more students trickling into town the past few days. They are invading the local supermarkets and spending money. :cool: o_O Lines at the coffee shops are getting longer again too!!

Giant on Atherton is the go to grocery store for athletes it seems. Every time I go it’s like 5 athletes from the same team in one car decked out in their Nike team apparel. Plus they stand out since the store was mostly empty until last week.

Giant on Atherton is the go to grocery store for athletes it seems. Every time I go it’s like 5 athletes from the same team in one car decked out in their Nike team apparel. Plus they stand out since the store was mostly empty until last week.
Do they still have the live trout for sale by the seafood?

North Atherton or South Atherton? There are two Giants on Atherton Street although the one off of North Atherton probably doesn't have a street address of Atherton Street.

Penn State is still a pretty campus and the area is still a good one to live in.

I really do find the Borough to be pretty anti-PSU and cannot stand some of the council blowhards.

Not sure why so many of you want and expect area to still be like it was in the 70s and 80s.

One thing for sure is that Covid has shown how slow and boring area can be without being able to attend PSU sports live, having ArtsFest, events at BJC, etc.

I do fear how many businesses still fighting to survive will be gone by the end of 2021 if the tide does not start to turn.

Reactions: Bob78 and bison13
A timely article with photos showing how a series of architectural-abortions have changed State College.

I don’t know who is worse- the architect for thinking those buildings looked good or the person who approved the designs. Any architect who was involved with them should be fired immediately. The previous description of them as looking like Soviet era block housing was on target.

One thing for sure is that Covid has shown how slow and boring area can be without being able to attend PSU sports live, having ArtsFest, events at BJC, etc.
I think that’s true in a lot of places, not just State College, but I will agree quickly that PSU is the engine that drives Centre County both financially and culturally.

I’m a local and I think downtown “getting bigger” is overall a positive. I agree the new buildings leave a lot to be desired in creativity but the borough finally figured out they can’t keep raising taxes and prevent new (read: higher tax base) construction and expect it to work out. The surrounding municipalities were very smart to reject consolidation many years ago. I suspect in another 20 years most of the “urban village” out West College will be up for replacement, too, assuming that life gets back to normal soon.

There’s plenty of people that wish Centre County never grew past 100,000 residents - these are the same kinds of people that drew up the sewer system growth boundary to keep new construction closer to town to “protect” rural Centre County then turned around and tried to preserve all the land inside the boundary so no new construction could occur. A lot of them then talk out the other side of their mouth about affordable housing when their actions are directly responsible for the lack of affordable housing.

In normal times, Centre County will grow and continue to do so because it is a desirable place to live, other than the weather. :)

Reactions: lionbacker
My wife was in SC today shopping to try and find a couch for my son's apartment. The town was a ghost town. A lot of stores closed, and those that were open did not had much merchandise. Nothing in stock and order and delivery times were 5 months out. It was really a sad affair. Her account was probably not too far off from the picture painted by Frank.

Not to sound cold but once the students return and the virus is gone there will be profitable businesses operating in State College. They may not be the same businesses or the same owners but somebody new will come and make money off of others misfortune. That’s just the way capitalism works. Businesses die, new businesses take their place.

Not to sound cold but once the students return and the virus is gone there will be profitable businesses operating in State College. They may not be the same businesses or the same owners but somebody new will come and make money off of others misfortune. That’s just the way capitalism works. Businesses die, new businesses take their place.

Except capitalism had nothing to do with these businesses and people's lives being destroyed.

I’m curious where in Italy you might move. My wife and I bought a place in a small town in Calabria (specifically in the town where my grandfather was born) and we LOVE it there. Hoping to spend much more time there now that we’re both retired but not full time because of family (though it’s a great option to have if the economy here goes all to hell. Would enjoy discussing it with you if you’re interested — feel free to PM me.

I think most here understand that. I think the concern is that the "somebody new" will never be little guy or a mom and pop type local resident ever again. In addition to the lives this pandemic has taken, it will also take a piece of the middle class.

Town will boom when all students return and the university gets back to a normal schedule. That second “industry” was tourism and it was ready to pop last March. Plenty of destination marketing $$$ was hitting key markets and sports tourism was really taking off because of new facilities. 2020 was heading towards record numbers until we all walked off the Cliff!

[/QUOTE]

You are describing everywhere today. The cities do not have activities either - they are just as boring. How is State College any different than anywhere else in that regard? At least S.C., and all the rural towns for that matter, have easy access to outdoor activities. Such activities may not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least they are accessible to those who may be bored.

I’m curious where in Italy you might move. My wife and I bought a place in a small town in Calabria (specifically in the town where my grandfather was born) and we LOVE it there. Hoping to spend much more time there now that we’re both retired but not full time because of family (though it’s a great option to have if the economy here goes all to hell. Would enjoy discussing it with you if you’re interested — feel free to PM me.
Where in Calabria?

Amazing how this thread “evolved”

SC will rebound back to a new normal and will continue to develop and grow. Progress is unavoidable. Unfortunately some/many of the historic stakeholders may not benefit.

I hope we see more hotels up there ... lower game weekend hotel cost! 2019 cost were ridiculous with game weekend charges as much as 20 x mid week charges.

the more SC grows I can see less grads returning unless the area can retain its uniqueness. if SC becomes like the local strip mall, I question how much I would want to go up there. Who wants to drive 3+ hours to see the same thing that is down the street from your home.

football weekends especially white out games are special. The university [IMO a common PSU issue] and SC needs to somehow find a way to limit excessive profit taking ... ie gouging all of us

SC will rebound back to a new normal and will continue to develop and grow. Progress is unavoidable. Unfortunately some/many of the historic stakeholders may not benefit.

I hope we see more hotels up there ... lower game weekend hotel cost! 2019 cost were ridiculous with game weekend charges as much as 20 x mid week charges.

the more SC grows I can see less grads returning unless the area can retain its uniqueness. if SC becomes like the local strip mall, I question how much I would want to go up there. Who wants to drive 3+ hours to see the same thing that is down the street from your home.

football weekends especially white out games are special. The university [IMO a common PSU issue] and SC needs to somehow find a way to limit excessive profit taking ... ie gouging all of us
Have you ever been to the Super Bowl? Final Four? That’s what hotels do and are allowed to do it. There are 3,000 rms a night in the SC area. They’d sellout if only less than 3% of the people who fill the Beav stay over. Graduation too. Not many other really high demand times in the HV.

Have you ever been to the Super Bowl? Final Four? That’s what hotels do and are allowed to do it. There are 3,000 rms a night in the SC area. They’d sellout if only less than 3% of the people who fill the Beav stay over. Graduation too. Not many other really high demand times in the HV.
Huh? Not many other high demand for hotels in SC? Let’s see, Thon, Arts Festival, winter multi sports weekends, Happy Volley volleyball tournament, big conferences, big name concerts, move in move out weekends and others. Gone are the days of hotels only being full 8 weekends a year. In the past year they missed on the Olympic wrestling trials, Big Ten wrestling tournament this year.

Reactions: lionbacker
Huh? Not many other high demand for hotels in SC? Let’s see, Thon, Arts Festival, winter multi sports weekends, Happy Volley volleyball tournament, big conferences, big name concerts, move in move out weekends and others. Gone are the days of hotels only being full 8 weekends a year. In the past year they missed on the Olympic wrestling trials, Big Ten wrestling tournament this year.
None of those sell out the area... believe me.

ADVERTISEMENT