ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Valley Crisis: Business Is Dismal, Penn State Facing Comprehensive Furloughs, Athletics’ AD Pay -20% & Pegula Staff Pay - Whacked By $50%

Frank Sheeran

Nov 21, 2013
Kingston, PA
Visited your Happy Valley recently. Chatted with some of our Business Contacts. We love SC. Downtown Area. Business District Boss said that he’s extremely worried that 60 - 70% of Business’s will go under! Unless they get substantial $$$$.

Rapid Transit did renew their lease — Landlord was sympathetic— RT had lost > $650K for the year! Bars & Restaurants have been financially decimated...

Oh, I had a dream, it seemed I stood alone, And the Veil of all the years goes, Goes sinking from my eyes like a stone...

You know when Phil Esten was at PSU, He badgered Sandy endlessly about dumping some of the non-revenue sports. She did however, implement a $20% AD’s cut in 2020. Concessions Boss Ebeling was laid off in August, IT cut some Staff permanently. However, Lash Project is going full speed ahead.

Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young, In a world of magnets & miracles, Our thoughts strayed constantly & without boundary, Running before time took our Dreams Away, To a life consumes by Slow Decay.

The Biggest Current Rumor At PSU is that All PSU Units & Departments Will Have Comprehensive Furloughs by the end of January.

PSU is also implanting a comprehensive CO-VID Testing Project. Student have been sent Testing Kits & all students will be tested 2 Times.

The grass was greener, The lights were brighter, With friends surrounded, The nights of wonder, Forever & Ever,
CIAO

Visited your Happy Valley recently. Chatted with some of our Business Contacts. We love SC. Downtown Area. Business District Boss said that he’s extremely worried that 60 - 70% of Business’s will go under! Unless they get substantial $$$$.

Rapid Transit did renew their lease — Landlord was sympathetic— RT had lost > $650K for the year! Bars & Restaurants have been financially decimated...

Oh, I had a dream, it seemed I stood alone, And the Veil of all the years goes, Goes sinking from my eyes like a stone...

You know when Phil Esten was at PSU, He badgered Sandy endlessly about dumping some of the non-revenue sports. She did however, implement a $20% AD’s cut in 2020. Concessions Boss Ebeling was laid off in August, IT cut some Staff permanently. However, Lash Project is going full speed ahead.

Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young, In a world of magnets & miracles, Our thoughts strayed constantly & without boundary, Running before time took our Dreams Away, To a life consumes by Slow Decay.

The Biggest Current Rumor At PSU is that All PSU Units & Departments Will Have Comprehensive Furloughs by the end of January.

PSU is also implanting a comprehensive CO-VID Testing Project. Student have been sent Testing Kits & all students will be tested 2 Times.

The grass was greener, The lights were brighter, With friends surrounded, The nights of wonder, Forever & Ever,
CIAO
There already is a very comprehensive COVID testing program. I think each of my two students got tested 3 times each last semester, and the one already tested prior to returning to continue her research.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
And the Borough extends current CoVid protocols through early May unlike surrounding townships. Everything PSU is pretty much closed down for the spring even if it’s not announced. It’s a sad state of affairs. Businesses need more than what they’ve gotten. The university isn’t hurting by comparison. Floating in cash. Area will have to rely on youth sports tournaments coming to town to get them to summer. Doubt there will be much of an Arts Fest which means that will go belly up for good.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13
I used to think I would move to State College after I retire. I rethought those plans way back in 2010 once I saw what was happening to the town (it happened in Ann Arbor during the 90s) and got worse as the decade progressed. Now this. I don't have any desire to go there, even for a home game at this point.

I used to think I would move to State College after I retire. I rethought those plans way back in 2010 once I saw what was happening to the town (it happened in Ann Arbor during the 90s) and got worse as the decade progressed. Now this. I don't have any desire to go there, even for a home game at this point.
What is the parallel that you see between State College and Ann Arbor?

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I can relate. Stating the obvious, the BigTen changed the place. When I was an undergrad in the late 60's I felt at home there. Post BigTen, trips back became less enjoyable. Throw in my animus for the current administration and I have no desire to return...ever.

And the Borough extends current CoVid protocols through early May unlike surrounding townships. Everything PSU is pretty much closed down for the spring even if it’s not announced. It’s a sad state of affairs. Businesses need more than what they’ve gotten. The university isn’t hurting by comparison. Floating in cash. Area will have to rely on youth sports tournaments coming to town to get them to summer. Doubt there will be much of an Arts Fest which means that will go belly up for good.
It seems like the landlords are the only ones still making money. Once the leases run out what is the plan? I suspect that they'll face little resistance to selling the rest of the prime property to national chains...

To speed things up I think the borough should up the attack students having fun by installing more cameras to catch those unlawful kids in groups of 11 or more without masks! Oh the horror! Make registering for bars only available from 2AM - 3AM, one bar max per week, no group greater than 2, and only one use of the restroom allowed! (If you didn't know, you must have a reservation for bars, no more than 5 in a group, no visiting any other group for any reason).

The borough is begging for closures and the only question I have is why?

I can relate. Stating the obvious, the BigTen changed the place. When I was an undergrad in the late 60's I felt at home there. Post BigTen, trips back became less enjoyable. Throw in my animus for the current administration and I have no desire to return...ever.
Haven't been back in a while. What are we talking about? More chain restaurants and stores? More development downtown?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Haven't been back in a while. What are we talking about? More chain restaurants and stores? More development downtown?
For me it came down to three things. First, there were the changes on campus....more and more buildings, less grass and trees. Growth for the sake of growth. Second, the attitude changed. Its hard to explain, but I no longer felt like part of a family and more like just another source of revenue. Maybe I was the one that changed. Finally, there was the treatment of Joe and the continuing arrogance of the BOT and Administration. All I know is that I had a love affair with Dear Old State for the better part of 40 years, sent my two daughters there, and now have no desire to ever set foot on campus again.

@Wallace Breen. Not sure if I follow. What happened to Ann Arbor in the 90s that s now has happened in SC.

Reactions: garw

CIAO

Big deal. Its just people's lives and livelihoods. You're viewing this all wrong. This is actually a great opportunity for those in power to depress values and buy low.

For me it came down to three things. First, there were the changes on campus....more and more buildings, less grass and trees. Growth for the sake of growth. Second, the attitude changed. Its hard to explain, but I no longer felt like part of a family and more like just another source of revenue. Maybe I was the one that changed. Finally, there was the treatment of Joe and the continuing arrogance of the BOT and Administration. All I know is that I had a love affair with Dear Old State for the better part of 40 years, sent my two daughters there, and now have no desire to ever set foot on campus again.

I spent the late 70s at UP and feel very much the same way. When I visited decades later it was a disappointment.

All the concrete left me seeing not a university, but a money grab for real estate developers and administrators. Then we had the fiasco in 2011, which confirmed that the place is indeed being run by a cabal.

Area still has its charm. Happy Valley is the entire area and not just dwntwn SC. The Borough is definitely not what it was in the seventies. Campus is still one of the best in the country. Yes there are more buildings but it’s still not that congested. I’m disappointed that the university has done little to help through this pandemic. No leadership. No vision. They missed out on a huge opportunity. The administration fails to understand that the allure of PSU includes Dwntwn. There are very few true “college towns” left in America. There seems to be little attempt to preserve that. PSU has the deep pockets to provide relief but haven’t. That only confirms what most of us have known. They don’t care. It’s all about them. It’s a corporate entity now driven by profit and the pillaging of locals and alumni.

I spent the late 70s at UP and feel very much the same way. When I visited decades later it was a disappointment.

All the concrete left me seeing not a university, but a money grab for real estate developers and administrators. Then we had the fiasco in 2011, which confirmed that the place is indeed being run by a cabal.
I agree, I don't get up very often. I think it was 2002,for the Nebraska game, I took my daughter up to look at the campus. We walked around, took in a volleyball game at Rec Hall, and then went to the football game. I was stunned by all the new sidewalks, everywhere! I didn't remember them ever being bad, but everything got changed out.

That only confirms what most of us have known. They don’t care. It’s all about them. It’s a corporate entity now driven by profit and the pillaging of locals and alumni.

So, will anything bring back 110,000 people to home games again?

Last edited:
Agree mostly, when they became the cancel culture for JVP and refused to stand up for the university, I felt betrayed. MY dollars since then have gone elsewhere. It's not the PSU of my youth, it has changed drastically and not as fun a trip as it used to be.

Me too (without the AA comparison).

It seems like the landlords are the only ones still making money. Once the leases run out what is the plan? I suspect that they'll face little resistance to selling the rest of the prime property to national chains...

To speed things up I think the borough should up the attack students having fun by installing more cameras to catch those unlawful kids in groups of 11 or more without masks! Oh the horror! Make registering for bars only available from 2AM - 3AM, one bar max per week, no group greater than 2, and only one use of the restroom allowed! (If you didn't know, you must have a reservation for bars, no more than 5 in a group, no visiting any other group for any reason).

The borough is begging for closures and the only question I have is why?

not sure how serious you were but that is actually happening. my daughter knows of a lot of kids that have been suspended for spring semester for violating Covid policy. Police are out in force breaking up parties and then assessing fines and giving names to University. University then suspends the student for breaking policy. It is that bad up there.

• Wow
Reactions: PSUfiji and 91Joe95
Me too (without the AA comparison).
I was considering having a condo in SC and one in FL when I first was seriously planning for retirement. The cost of maintaining 2 homes and the loss of my previously strong fondness of SC quashed those plans, especially after 2011. I had become less enamored with the University for multiple reasons and ceased giving money. A lot of the past charm of Happy Valley does not seem to be there anymore. One of the certain things in life is change and I don’t think the change in the university or town has been for the better. The loss of some of the iconic “institutions“ such as the train station, the diner, etc. over the years has changed the town from less of a hodgepodge of different unique architectural styles typical of old style small college towns to a more bland shopping plaza/mall like look. The accumulation of more highrise apartment and condo buildings contributing to areas such as Beaver canyon makes the town appear like a place comprised of old Soviet housing blocks (sort of like East Halls on campus).

not sure how serious you were but that is actually happening. my daughter knows of a lot of kids that have been suspended for spring semester for violating Covid policy. Police are out in force breaking up parties and then assessing fines and giving names to University. University then suspends the student for breaking policy. It is that bad up there.
Almost all of my son's friends at SC (he has a lot of them, and the grades to prove it) have already had Covid. None of them have had any serious complications, in most cases suffering only a mild cold. IMO, everyone would be better off if they allowed parties at this point.

I was considering having a condo in SC and one in FL when I first was seriously planning for retirement. The cost of maintaining 2 homes and the loss of my previously strong fondness of SC quashed those plans, especially after 2011. I had become less enamored with the University for multiple reasons and ceased giving money. A lot of the past charm of Happy Valley does not seem to be there anymore. One of the certain things in life is change and I don’t think the change in the university or town has been for the better. The loss of some of the iconic “institutions“ such as the train station, the diner, etc. over the years has changed the town from less of a hodgepodge of different unique architectural styles typical of old style small college towns to a more bland shopping plaza/mall like look. The accumulation of more highrise apartment and condo buildings contributing to areas such as Beaver canyon makes the town appear like a place comprised of old Soviet housing blocks (sort of like East Halls on campus).

Beaver Canyon is not the only canyon anymore. There is now Garner Canyon and Atherton Canyon!! The high rises are killing the character of downtown. Lived here 15+ years now and experienced how things have changed. Many small businesses gone and chains coming in. Lots of empty store fronts in these new high rises and some older places. Definitely seems like a money grab and then if your investment in real estate doesn't work out and you know someone at PSU you get them to buy\rent your property. I think PSU is still a good place to retire, I have heard from the old folks that when they have friends that move away from State College they get old!! Being around the students(yes even though they aren't on campus yet, they have come back to town in their apartments) keeps you young. This is a very active community with tons of places to keep moving(bike paths, parks, hiking, biking, etc) and things to do. Once we are on the other side of the pandemic and sports get back to normal schedule, State College will bounce back.

Someone mention Happy Valley during the Great Depression, it is my understanding that their were many make work programs going on and logging was still booming.

CIAO

You need to re-tune your hearing aids, Frank.

Why is that bad? They are protecting the kids who are obeying the rules.

Can't decide whether this should be labelled as the "Cranky Old Man" thread or the "Wacko Conspiracy Theory" thread. Perhaps both.

Look, guys, things have changed - and will continue to change - in Happy Valley, and everywhere. That's life. Do I wish the Skeller was still the Skeller (as just one example)? Of course. But, IMO, it's still a great place to live.

Lighten up, Francis(es).

Can't decide whether this should be labelled as the "Cranky Old Man" thread or the "Wacko Conspiracy Theory" thread. Perhaps both.

Look, guys, things have changed - and will continue to change - in Happy Valley, and everywhere. That's life. Do I wish the Skeller was still the Skeller (as just one example)? Of course. But, IMO, it's still a great place to live.

Lighten up, Francis(es).
Seems like a lot here are looking for "A Stop at Willoughby"

Time moves on. That is not a BOT conspiracy.

"It's only a band. If you want to get nostalgic then just play the records" - John Lennon on the breakup of The Beatles.

Lighten up, Francis(es).
Good post and don't disagree.

However, my beef is that the University has lost sight of their mission as a "state" and "landgrant" school. The idea was to provide a quality education at an affordable price that was attainable by all Americans. Somewhere, we decided we could out "U-Penn U-Penn". While the quality of Education rose, the access eroded. Then, it became a race to who could build the biggest buildings in the great economy that we've seen since the '60's.

It is my opinion that Joe stood in the way of this: he was always about student first. He had no problem with improving academics but not at the risk of the student. As such, he was an impediment for those who simply wanted to maximize profits at any cost.

There is a balance, of course. And PSU was out of balance. Many other universities are too. Case, here locally, is really struggling because they decided to make a ton on foreign students who paid full boat. Now, that has come back to bite them.

The dog barks as the caravan rolls by....

Lighten up, Francis(es).
I understand that change is generally inevitable, but it works both ways. If the University, and town, change in ways I don't appreciate, I too will change, and I did. I gave up a 40 year tradition of football season tickets and a dozen or so trips back to campus each year in favor of other diversions which I find much more appealing.

CIAO
You’re a fvcking weird dude.

It is just stupid that Universities think they are now responsible, or have control, of things that happen off campus.

It is just stupid that Universities think they are now responsible, or have control, of things that happen off campus.

100% they do. PSU leaders and Stage College borough leaders are hand in hand. And PSU wants to control every aspect of students lives on and off campus. The kangaroo court system at PSU is back in full effect.

ADVERTISEMENT