ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Pi Day

1/3 has an infinite nonzero decimal expansion.

Oh, here’s a cute little fact: everyone knows that 1/3=.333333..., right? This means that, by multiplying both sides of this equation by 3, we get 1=.9999999.....

Another way to think of it: if 1 were not equal to .999999..., there would then be some number between the two of them. Since such a number can’t be found, they have to be equal.

Another way: what is the distance between 1 and .999999.....? Since this distance is smaller than any positive number, it has to be zero.

source.gif

Even though he is a troll asshole in his other existence here.

JOE. PATERNO. :eek:
Sorry, I don't know who that is. I just assumed that was the same Count that had been posting forever on various boards. I just viewed it as a funny and harmless shtick.

Sorry, I don't know who that is. I just assumed that was the same Count that had been posting forever on various boards. I just viewed it as a funny and harmless shtick.

The real-life human being who is Count_von_Count is also michnittlion.

That apparently upsets BobPSU92.

Fair enough. The Count still enjoys BobPSU92 - The Count can count all 26,000+ posts he has made on BWI since 2015! (that's a lot of posts, he appears to spend way too much time here)

As the count, he's fine. As michnittlion, he's...you know the rest.

The real-life human being who is Count_von_Count is also michnittlion.

That apparently upsets BobPSU92.

Fair enough. The Count still enjoys BobPSU92 - The Count can count all 26,000+ posts he has made on BWI since 2015! (that's a lot of posts, he appears to spend way too much time here)
No problem here. I don't think I'm alone when i say it's a good thing to come here and read a harmless post that makes one chuckle.

Thanks Count! Count on...

1/3 has an infinite nonzero decimal expansion.

Oh, here’s a cute little fact: everyone knows that 1/3=.333333..., right? This means that, by multiplying both sides of this equation by 3, we get 1=.9999999.....

Another way to think of it: if 1 were not equal to .999999..., there would then be some number between the two of them. Since such a number can’t be found, they have to be equal.

Another way: what is the distance between 1 and .999999.....? Since this distance is smaller than any positive number, it has to be zero.

Whatever happened to putting the line above the last number to indicate it repeats indefinitely? To me that is the proper way to show the decimal version of 1/3 and is not the same as 0.3333333 (yeah, I even put the zero before the decimal).

Whatever happened to putting the line above the last number to indicate it repeats indefinitely? To me that is the proper way to show the decimal version of 1/3 and is not the same as 0.3333333 (yeah, I even put the zero before the decimal).
Nothing happened to it; I didn’t bother doing it because I knew someone would notice and bitch about it, enliving the thread. ;)

Nothing happened to it; I didn’t bother doing it because I knew someone would notice and bitch about it, enliving the thread. ;)

Of course you realize, this means Thunderdome.

latest

Last edited:
...Whoa!!!...

...isn't "Pi" the name of the horse that teenager Elizabeth Taylor rode to victory in the movie, "National Velvet"?... :)

ADVERTISEMENT