ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Independence Day!

We had a hecka lot of illegal fireworks shooting off all over the place last night. The most I've ever seen. There seemed to be a lot of pent up energy that needed to be released, because 2020. Anyway, happy day after 4th!

Americans-crossing-Delaware.jpg

We had a hecka lot of illegal fireworks shooting off all over the place last night. The most I've ever seen. There seemed to be a lot of pent up energy that needed to be released, because 2020. Anyway, happy day after 4th!

Americans-crossing-Delaware.jpg
They probably weren't illegal. The state changed the sale guidelines of fireworks this year that PA residents were allowed to buy the bigger displays. I live near New Jersey border, there are numerous fireworks stores that were geared to interstate traffic. Route 78 entering South Easton from Phillipsburg NJ has 2 large fireworks stores noting the the PA law change on a sign.
My only thought about the July 4th celebration of our country and the freedoms that go with it.Those same freedoms are indirectly the reason some people and groups have decided to cause the social unrest that we are witnessing.
I'm 58 years old and said the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag approximately 2,000 times while going to school. It meant something to me and my age group. I wasn't allowed to call a policeman a "cop" because it was disrespectful. How times have changed and not for the better.

Reactions: Petch and 7brwnpsu
They probably weren't illegal. The state changed the sale guidelines of fireworks this year that PA residents were allowed to buy the bigger displays. I live near New Jersey border, there are numerous fireworks stores that were geared to interstate traffic. Route 78 entering South Easton from Phillipsburg NJ has 2 large fireworks stores noting the the PA law change on a sign.
My only thought about the July 4th celebration of our country and the freedoms that go with it.Those same freedoms are indirectly the reason some people and groups have decided to cause the social unrest that we are witnessing.
I'm 58 years old and said the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag approximately 2,000 times while going to school. It meant something to me and my age group. I wasn't allowed to call a policeman a "cop" because it was disrespectful. How times have changed and not for the better.

I like to think thats one of many things thats sets wrestlers apart. They work their entire lives just to be able to run that circle with an American Flag draped like a cape. Others have no issue burning one.

I live in Cali. But it's good to hear that PA has loosened up some. We used to do fireworks runs to Ohio to get stuff stronger than sparklers.

I live in Cali. But it's good to hear that PA has loosened up some. We used to do fireworks runs to Ohio to get stuff stronger than sparklers.
There is now a large fireworks shop along I-95 in Aston -- 2 mi from the aircraft carrier-sized liquor store in Delaware.

It doesn't get much more Delco than that.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
You guys should spend a July 4th in Bonney Lake, WA. The rules for fireworks are basically that there are no restrictions on the 4th. On top of that, there are plenty of nearby Indian reservations that sell just about anything including the big stuff. Starting around 5 pm, the whole city sounds like a war zone. I have a scaled replica of the Napoleon 12 pounder that was used in the Civil War. My neighbors got a big kick out of watching me fire it off a few times. That rattled a few windows.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
How many people posting here live in the Harrisburg area? I remember when I lived there, they would put on a really big fireworks show from one of the islands in the middle of the river. Tens of thousands of people would line the banks of the river on both sides to watch. They fired off some really big ones too, especially at the end. The river is almost a mile wide at that point and you could feel the shock from the blasts when they set off the big ones.

How many people posting here live in the Harrisburg area? I remember when I lived there, they would put on a really big fireworks show from one of the islands in the middle of the river. Tens of thousands of people would line the banks of the river on both sides to watch. They fired off some really big ones too, especially at the end. The river is almost a mile wide at that point and you could feel the shock from the blasts when they set off the big ones.
Saw them as a kid.

Coolest 4th of July I saw was in Montana. Out on a huge ranch as part of a team digging up dinosaur bones. Anyway, the Ranch Owner had been a demolitions expert in Vietnam and was able to get his hands on some crazy stuff. It was awesome.

Was it better than when fireworks sank a boat in Inner Harbor?

Not on the fourth, but after Labor day we would go to Polk State hospital to watch several fireworks teams shoot off their leftovers from the summer. Biggest show I can remember.

@Ag Surfer

"How many people posting here live in the Harrisburg area? I remember when I lived there, they would put on a really big fireworks show from one of the islands in the middle of the river. Tens of thousands of people would line the banks of the river on both sides to watch. "

I live in the Harrisburg area, and know the guys from the crew that used to do that show on City Island. In 2003 or 2004, I joined them @ Fort Dix/McGuire AFB . That was enough. I lit off a three inch charge, it went off a little faster than I expected, and hit the brim of my cap. I thought "that's my free one". Then one of the other guys got hit in the leg and I thought "not for me".

The amount of effort that goes into a show like that is unbelievable, especially the the inspection, assembly and disassembly of the wooden racks is incredible. The bigger stuff -the 10 and 12 inch shells are buried in the ground, because they would just blow racks apart.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
@Ag Surfer

"How many people posting here live in the Harrisburg area? I remember when I lived there, they would put on a really big fireworks show from one of the islands in the middle of the river. Tens of thousands of people would line the banks of the river on both sides to watch. "

I live in the Harrisburg area, and know the guys from the crew that used to do that show on City Island. In 2003 or 2004, I joined them @ Fort Dix/McGuire AFB . That was enough. I lit off a three inch charge, it went off a little faster than I expected, and hit the brim of my cap. I thought "that's my free one". Then one of the other guys got hit in the leg and I thought "not for me".

The amount of effort that goes into a show like that is unbelievable, especially the the inspection, assembly and disassembly of the wooden racks is incredible. The bigger stuff -the 10 and 12 inch shells are buried in the ground, because they would just blow racks apart.

Wow! 10 to 12". That's a serious amount of explosives. I'm guessing you're talking about 5 - 10 equivalent lbs of TNT. I still remember that at the end of the show, they would fire off those big bombs and they would go up about 1/4 of a mile and make a huge flash. About 2-3 seconds later, the air blast would reach the river banks and you would simultaneously hear and feel it. After that, the echoes would bounce around for a few seconds. I've seen some pretty good fireworks shows including the KGB Sky Show in San Diego, but those were by far the biggest fireworks bombs that I ever saw anywhere.

I remember when the Eagles opened up "The Linc" they did a fireworks display to AC/DC
"For those about to Rock, We Salute You".
I watched it on TV and it was pretty good. I talked to a couple of people that saw it live and they said it was awesome.
Note: I am not an Eagle fan, but I did enjoy AC/DC in their prime. I saw them at Lehigh Stabler Areana around 1981.

"Wow! 10 to 12". That's a serious amount of explosives. I'm guessing you're talking about 5 - 10 equivalent lbs of TNT. I still remember that at the end of the show, they would fire off those big bombs and they would go up about 1/4 of a mile and make a huge flash."

The ones that make that tooth-rattling boom that are generally at the end of the show are the 10-12's. I don't know what the TNT equivalent is, but I know that its a damn good idea to wear hearing protection when they go off.

The odd thing is that most of the vendors have independent contractors doing this, they work a few shows a year and while they make some decent money-no disability coverage.

"Wow! 10 to 12". That's a serious amount of explosives. I'm guessing you're talking about 5 - 10 equivalent lbs of TNT. I still remember that at the end of the show, they would fire off those big bombs and they would go up about 1/4 of a mile and make a huge flash."

The ones that make that tooth-rattling boom that are generally at the end of the show are the 10-12's. I don't know what the TNT equivalent is, but I know that its a damn good idea to wear hearing protection when they go off.

The odd thing is that most of the vendors have independent contractors doing this, they work a few shows a year and while they make some decent money-no disability coverage.

I did a little Internet research. I'm guessing that the 12" bombs are about 18" long so they won't tumble when launched. I calculated that they hold about 40 lbs of flash powder. That's the equivalent of about 20 lbs of TNT! Now that's some serious firepower! Easily enough to level a house. You wouldn't want to be anywhere near one of those things when they go off.

ADVERTISEMENT