ADVERTISEMENT

Happy independence day weekend

Minivan express setting off for Moab at 5:00 AM tomorrow.

Will be consuming the finest meats and cheeses in all the land.

What's cooking?

Where you traveling too?

Interesting events your attending?

Sending hard earned money up in smoke and flames?

#Merica
#redwhiteandblue
#dontblowyourfingersoff

We host the big family get together so I'll be traveling to the grill and the pool in the backyard. Ribs are what's for dinner amongst numerous sides. My wife's uncle has already sent me a pic of certain incendiary items that I hope won't cost me a serious fine (or limbs).

I just permanently relocated to Fort Myers, FL earlier this week. My plan is to head over to my buddy's house in Cape Coral where he has a boat and some jet skis, grill out some burgers and dogs, and be out on the water for the Fort Myers Beach fireworks display. My personal stash of loud pyrotechnics will be showing up in my Pod later this month because I didn't have enough room in my car for the trip down. So I'll probably improvise and hit one of the many fireworks stores or tents here and load up. 🇺🇸

Going to... Iceland!

Living the board's most distracting thread up close and in person, with @HOCKEYGOD11 who barely made it. Hell of a weekend to fly, from anywhere in the US, but we made it through the pigtail bracket.

SaALNaa.jpg

What's cooking?

Where you traveling too?

#Merica
#redwhiteandblue
#dontblowyourfingersoff
Shinefest with the neighbors. Each January we vote on a flavor. On the Saturday night closest to the 4th we gather along the river to taste test our best distillations. This year the flavor is Pears.

Shinefest with the neighbors. Each January we vote on a flavor. On the Saturday night closest to the 4th we gather along the river to taste test our best distillations. This year the flavor is Pears.
How did you get into this? Is it expensive to bring it together?

Reactions: nitlion6
Going to... Iceland!

Living the board's most distracting thread up close and in person, with @HOCKEYGOD11 who barely made it. Hell of a weekend to fly, from anywhere in the US, but we made it through the pigtail bracket.

SaALNaa.jpg

Going to need a full read out on this one. Looking to go in the near future. Would need to be a summer trip like yours so the kids can go.

How did you get into this? Is it expensive to bring it together?
First & foremost, it helps to have neighbors with a family background in making shine. You can buy a still quite easily for $400-$1000, but, making good tasting hooch is an art. My purchased still has a 3” Diameter Reflux Column with a Dephlagmator on top and a Shotgun Condenser. The column huffs in “still mode” to make Whiskey and Moonshine or it can be ran in reflux mode to make high proof Vodka or E-85 ethanol. I fire my still with a Propane Burner. My first batches were terribly harsh …. Undrinkable really! A old fellow with years of experience helped me adjust the formula and cook time / temps and by my second summer the product was suitable for medicinal purposes. A bit later tonight I’m hoping to do better than last place at our annual 4th of July tasting. If you want to get into it, eBay, Amazon, and Esty all sell still kits.

What's cooking?

Where you traveling too?

#Merica
#redwhiteandblue
#dontblowyourfingersoff
On July 4th, 1776, the Fair Play Men, early white settlers of the Pine Creek Valley, met under the Tiadaghton Elm along Pine Creek in what is now Clinton County to declare independence from Great Britain. They did this not knowing of the proceedings going on in Philadelphia on the very same day. Although the names of many of the Fair Play Men are lost to history, the significance of their coincidental declaration should be remembered and celebrated along with the beer, hot dogs and potato salad.

On July 4th, 1776, the Fair Play Men, early white settlers of the Pine Creek Valley, met under the Tiadaghton Elm along Pine Creek in what is now Clinton County to declare independence from Great Britain. They did this not knowing of the proceedings going on in Philadelphia on the very same day. Although the names of many of the Fair Play Men are lost to history, the significance of their coincidental declaration should be remembered and celebrated along with the beer, hot dogs and potato salad.
Being a Lycoming County native and knowing that area, that is some great local history that I didn't know. Thank you!

Reactions: Creek Side
Is that the beginnings of the town hall meeting festival in Jersey shore? There's always a patriotic tone to it

Reactions: Creek Side
Happy 4th everyone! I'm up in Coos Bay, Oregon visiting my family. Where I am staying at my sister's house is only two blocks from Marshfield High, where Travis Wittlake went to school. If I see him I will confirm what weight he is going this season
. :)

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
Is that the beginnings of the town hall meeting festival in Jersey shore? There's always a patriotic tone to it
It could be, I don't know the answer. I have never attended the town hall meeting. I suggest googling the Fair Play Men or checking out Pennsylvania's Pine Creek Valley by Spencer Kraybill. My colonial ancestors in the Pine Creek Valley were John English and Claudius Boatman.

I can think of another famous athlete that went to Marshfield High. This one in the 1960s.

From what was passed down from my ancestors, most of the fair play men were from the other side of the river in what is now wayne twp clinton county. We were 1 of the first 5 families to homestead in that area in the early 1700’s. As far as the town meeting, yes the celebrate that event in jersey shore every 4th with a festival.

You're celebrating our independence from the British in London?! What in the name of Paul Revere is wrong with you?!
😉😉🤣😛🥳🍻🚀
It was a great trip. The Henley was quite an “experience”! Imagine a gigantic tailgate attended by 300,000 people. Instead of two teams competing, there are over 400. Each team walks around in their blazers instead of jerseys. And I thought golfers had strange fashion sense! https://images.app.goo.gl/dgShw4QU9uBCjHQeA

What's cooking?

Where you traveling too?

#Merica
#redwhiteandblue
#dontblowyourfingersoff
We enjoyed a couple days of absolutely nothing for once. I smoked ribs and a turkey breast Friday and Saturday. Leftovers Sunday.

Today I helped cooking burgers and dogs for a family picnic. The beer was good enough that mom did the late round of dogs herself. But on the bright side she has a lot less beer to put in the fridge.

Last edited:
Steve's childhood home is only two houses down from where I am staying at my sister's house. There is a plaque in the yard.
impressive-wall-sized.jpg
It’s hard to describe how good he was. At one point, in his early 20s, he held the American record at every distance between 2000 meters and 10,000 meters. This was at a time when you’d run the 3 mile and 6 mile in non-Olympic years but the 5k and 10k in Olympic years. Distance runners don’t peak in their early 20s. When he took 4th at Munich, he was the youngest runner in the race. The best was yet to come for Steve Prefontaine.

Last edited:
From what was passed down from my ancestors, most of the fair play men were from the other side of the river in what is now wayne twp clinton county. We were 1 of the first 5 families to homestead in that area in the early 1700’s. As far as the town meeting, yes the celebrate that event in jersey shore every 4th with a festival.
I live in lock haven. I'm always trying to learn something new about the history of this area. Great place to live

ADVERTISEMENT