ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Independence Day! This is the 239th birthday of our great nation.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
Paraphrasing Joseph Addison, "Never let freedom perish in our hands".

founding+fathers+3.jpg

Thanks Leo. My wife sometimes tells me it seems like I'm living in the past.:)[/QUOTE]
The past often seems a good place to live.

Reactions: fairgambit
Here's a thought for fairgambit and the rest of us who are over 60....
We've been around for over 25% of our country's history.

My grandparents, who were born at the end of the 19th century, knew people who had fought in the Civil War. In some ways, our country is not so old.

My grandparents, who were born at the end of the 19th century, knew people who had fought in the Civil War. In some ways, our country is not so old.
The last surviving Civil War Veteran - with solid documentation to back up the claim - died in 1956. There is one competing claim for a man who died in 1959, but the claim lacks solid supporting evidence.

It is amazing. My paternal grandfather was born in 1880. When he was 15, he could have met someone in their 90's who had spoken with Thomas Jefferson when they were in their 20's.

It is amazing. My paternal grandfather was born in 1880. When he was 15, he could have met someone in their 90's who had spoken with Thomas Jefferson when they were in their 20's.
I love this stuff. The last verifiable veteran of the American Revolutionary War died in 1868. I'm a whippersnapper compared to you fellas, but my paternal grandfather was born in 1875 and my paternal grandmother in 1879.

Last edited:
I love this stuff. The last verifiable veteran of the American Revolutionary War died in 1868. I'm a whippersnapper compared to you fellas, but my paternal grandfather was born in 1875 and my maternal grandmother in 1879.
So it is possible that my great-grandfather, who I believe was born in 1854, as a teen, could have spoken to someone who had fought in the Revolutionary War. Wow.

Reactions: mn78psu83
And I have a bit of a connection to the abolitionist John Brown, who died in 1859 but achieved fame that lived longer.

My paternal great-grandfather, born in 1868, was named after John Brown. He named his son John Brown ......., Jr. and my dad (PSU 1947) was John Brown ......, III. So when I came along in 1950, there was some family sentiment to continue the tradition and name me John Brown ...., IV. Fortunately, my dad said he wasn't crazy about being the "Third" and didn't want to tag his son with the "Fourth".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT