ADVERTISEMENT

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THOMAS JEFFERSON

Michael.Felli

Mar 19, 2013
thomas-jefferson-quote-969x600.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/jesus/jefferson.html

Thomas Jefferson and his Bible
The 'Jefferson Bible' was Thomas Jefferson's attempt to extract an authentic Jesus from the Gospel accounts.
by Marilyn Mellowes
The White House, Washington, D.C. 1804.
Thomas Jefferson was frustrated. It was not the burdens of office that bothered him. It was his Bible.
Jefferson was convinced that the authentic words of Jesus written in the New Testament had been contaminated. Early Christians, overly eager to make their religion appealing to the pagans, had obscured the words of Jesus with the philosophy of the ancient Greeks and the teachings of Plato. These "Platonists" had thoroughly muddled Jesus' original message. Jefferson assured his friend and rival, John Adams, that the authentic words of Jesus were still there. The task, as he put it, was one of
abstracting what is really his from the rubbish in which it is buried, easily distinguished by its lustre from the dross of his biographers, and as separate from that as the diamond from the dung hill.
With the confidence and optimistic energy characteristic of the Enlightenment, Jefferson proceeded to dig out the diamonds. Candles burning late at night, his quill pen scratching "too hastily" as he later admitted, Jefferson composed a short monograph titled The Philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth. The subtitle explains that the work is "extracted from the account of his life and the doctrines as given by Matthew, Mark, Luke & John." In it, Jefferson presented what he understood was the true message of Jesus.
Jefferson set aside his New Testament research, returning to it again in the summer of 1820. This time, he completed a more ambitious work, The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth Extracted Textually from the Gospels in Greek, Latin, French and English. The text of the New Testament appears in four parallel columns in four languages. Jefferson omitted the words that he thought were inauthentic and retained those he believed were original. The resulting work is commonly known as the "Jefferson Bible."
Who was the Jesus that Jefferson found? He was not the familiar figure of the New Testament. In Jefferson's Bible, there is no account of the beginning and the end of the Gospel story. There is no story of the annunciation, the virgin birth or the appearance of the angels to the shepherds. The resurrection is not even mentioned.
Jefferson discovered a Jesus who was a great Teacher of Common Sense. His message was the morality of absolute love and service. Its authenticity was not dependent upon the dogma of the Trinity or even the claim that Jesus was uniquely inspired by God. Jefferson saw Jesus as
a man, of illegitimate birth, of a benevolent heart, (and an) enthusiastic mind, who set out without pretensions of divinity, ended in believing them, and was punished capitally for sedition by being gibbeted according to the Roman law.
In short, Mr. Jefferson's Jesus, modeled on the ideals of the Enlightenment thinkers of his day, bore a striking resemblance to Jefferson himself.

Apparently Jefferson never said it.

"This quotation has not been found in Thomas Jefferson's papers. It has been suggested that it is a paraphrase of Jefferson's statement in the Declaration of Independence, "...whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...," although such a paraphrase would seem to be taking some radical liberties with the original version. The quotation bears a much closer resemblance to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s comment in his famous letter from Birmingham Jail: "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."1

https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/if-law-unjustquotation

"This quotation has not been found in Thomas Jefferson's papers. It has been suggested that it is a paraphrase of Jefferson's statement in the Declaration of Independence, "...whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...," although such a paraphrase would seem to be taking some radical liberties with the original version. The quotation bears a much closer resemblance to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s comment in his famous letter from Birmingham Jail: "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."1

Totally agree. But without the rule of laws, we are a banana republic. I would suggest fighting unjust laws but not breaking them.

Reactions: Ski

Abraham Lincoln was right, then...

dont_believe_everything_internet.jpg

Totally agree. But without the rule of laws, we are a banana republic. I would suggest fighting unjust laws but not breaking them.
Or do what the Greensboro Four did. I do think that in our present society we've moved beyond the need for such actions, so your point stands, Obli. If I'm wrong, I would surely appreciate a for example.

Reactions: Obliviax
thomas-jefferson-quote-969x600.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/jesus/jefferson.html

Thomas Jefferson and his Bible
The 'Jefferson Bible' was Thomas Jefferson's attempt to extract an authentic Jesus from the Gospel accounts.
by Marilyn Mellowes
The White House, Washington, D.C. 1804.
Thomas Jefferson was frustrated. It was not the burdens of office that bothered him. It was his Bible.
Jefferson was convinced that the authentic words of Jesus written in the New Testament had been contaminated. Early Christians, overly eager to make their religion appealing to the pagans, had obscured the words of Jesus with the philosophy of the ancient Greeks and the teachings of Plato. These "Platonists" had thoroughly muddled Jesus' original message. Jefferson assured his friend and rival, John Adams, that the authentic words of Jesus were still there. The task, as he put it, was one of
abstracting what is really his from the rubbish in which it is buried, easily distinguished by its lustre from the dross of his biographers, and as separate from that as the diamond from the dung hill.
With the confidence and optimistic energy characteristic of the Enlightenment, Jefferson proceeded to dig out the diamonds. Candles burning late at night, his quill pen scratching "too hastily" as he later admitted, Jefferson composed a short monograph titled The Philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth. The subtitle explains that the work is "extracted from the account of his life and the doctrines as given by Matthew, Mark, Luke & John." In it, Jefferson presented what he understood was the true message of Jesus.
Jefferson set aside his New Testament research, returning to it again in the summer of 1820. This time, he completed a more ambitious work, The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth Extracted Textually from the Gospels in Greek, Latin, French and English. The text of the New Testament appears in four parallel columns in four languages. Jefferson omitted the words that he thought were inauthentic and retained those he believed were original. The resulting work is commonly known as the "Jefferson Bible."
Who was the Jesus that Jefferson found? He was not the familiar figure of the New Testament. In Jefferson's Bible, there is no account of the beginning and the end of the Gospel story. There is no story of the annunciation, the virgin birth or the appearance of the angels to the shepherds. The resurrection is not even mentioned.
Jefferson discovered a Jesus who was a great Teacher of Common Sense. His message was the morality of absolute love and service. Its authenticity was not dependent upon the dogma of the Trinity or even the claim that Jesus was uniquely inspired by God. Jefferson saw Jesus as
a man, of illegitimate birth, of a benevolent heart, (and an) enthusiastic mind, who set out without pretensions of divinity, ended in believing them, and was punished capitally for sedition by being gibbeted according to the Roman law.
In short, Mr. Jefferson's Jesus, modeled on the ideals of the Enlightenment thinkers of his day, bore a striking resemblance to Jefferson himself.
Doesn't he post here on this board using only his initials???? Seems to have developed some passing interest in the weather over time?

Reactions: Ski and LionJim
HAHA! Did you really just link a poll showing the majority support nuclear power? Thanks!

No. I linked a poll indicating just how freakin' stupid you self proclaimed (ahem) geniuses really are. It's so damn obvious to you, yet 50% of the population ain't buying what you're selling. Why is that Professor Brainiac?

You see, people like me, are the fastest growing "religion". Every year we grow exponentially. So, people ARE buying what I'm selling. Demand is outpacing supply.

And, my kind wants SOLAR. In that same poll, so do the OVERWHELMING number of Americans prefer SOLAR, WIND and NATURAL GAS.

So, there you have it Professor Brainiac. More proof that people like me are smarter than people like you. How's it feel?

Michael.Faili said:
No. I linked a poll indicating just how freakin' stupid you self proclaimed (ahem) geniuses really are. It's so damn obvious to you, yet 50% of the population ain't buying what you're selling. Why is that Professor Brainiac?

You see, people like me, are the fastest growing "religion". Every year we grow exponentially. So, people ARE buying what I'm selling. Demand is outpacing supply.

And, my kind wants SOLAR. In that same poll, so do the OVERWHELMING number of Americans prefer SOLAR, WIND and NATURAL GAS.

So, there you have it Professor Brainiac. More proof that people like me are smarter than people like you. How's it feel?

You might want to get that (ahem) cough looked at. For the record, it's Dr. Professor Brainiac.

It clearly states that 43% "ain't" buying what we're selling. You really aren't good at this whole internet thing... are you? The reason is because they are uneducated. It also clearly states where people want more emphasis, not what they prefer. (Do I need to explain the difference, I could do it slowly and avoid big words?) They also want more emphasis on oil than nuclear, but you conveniently left that point out.

No one on this planet is buying what your kind (uneducated internet trolls) are selling. You are a joke that everyone on this board makes fun of... you do realize that, don't you? "Your kind" would probably say they want more emphasis on electricity generation by unicorn farts if it was an option.

You might want to get that (ahem) cough looked at. For the record, it's Dr. Professor Brainiac.

It clearly states that 43% "ain't" buying what we're selling. You really aren't good at this whole internet thing... are you? The reason is because they are uneducated. It also clearly states where people want more emphasis, not what they prefer. (Do I need to explain the difference, I could do it slowly and avoid big words?) They also want more emphasis on oil than nuclear, but you conveniently left that point out.

No one on this planet is buying what your kind (uneducated internet trolls) are selling. You are a joke that everyone on this board makes fun of... you do realize that, don't you? "Your kind" would probably say they want more emphasis on electricity generation by unicorn farts if it was an option.

You mean people here, who follow 18-22 year old kids (ahem) religiously, make fun of me? I'm hurt. How will I ever go on living?

So, it's, Professor Brainiac, PhD? Oh, allow me to genuflect, then.

Why you INSIST on pushing your damn Nuclear Energy agenda on a public that simply doesn't want it is proof positive of the arrogance of your kind. But, you PhD's (ahem) know better. You know what is best for people.

My kind should simply be grateful and wipe your arse. Well, kiss my arse!

Any person who looks at a poll that indicates 50% (oh, I mean 43%...like it makes a fvcking difference) of the population doesn't want nuclear energy as simply "uneducated" is arrogant to the nth degree. People have concerns. Yet, your kind is DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD! Just unbelievable arrogance! Same arrogance by the (ahem) PhD's at TMI, Chernobyl and Fukushima.

What's a matter Professor Brainiac, PhD, you don't know any Shakespeare?

Michael.Faili said:
You mean people here, who follow 18-22 year old kids (ahem) religiously, make fun of me? I'm hurt. How will I ever go on living?

So, it's, Professor Brainiac, PhD? Oh, allow me to genuflect, then.

Why you INSIST on pushing your damn Nuclear Energy agenda on a public that simply doesn't want it is proof positive of the arrogance of your kind. But, you PhD's (ahem) know better. You know what is best for people.

Any person who looks at a poll that indicates 50% (oh, I mean 43%...like it makes a fvcking difference) of the population doesn't want nuclear energy as simply "uneducated" is arrogant to the nth degree. People have concerns. Yet, your kind is DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD! Just unbelievable arrogance! Same arrogance by the (ahem) PhD's at TMI, Chernobyl and Fukushima.

What's a matter Professor Brainiac, PhD, you don't know any Shakespeare?

You keep saying that the public doesn't want Nuclear Power, yet 51%, AKA the majority, in the poll you linked want it. So please stop making this so easy for me. Uneducated people have concerns, none of them are real. Of course people are going to fear what they don't understand, which is why you fear so many things.

I've never started a post to advocate for nuclear power. You've started multiple posts about why you are against it. Irony is you claiming that I am pushing my views on others. If you don't care what people here, who follow 18-22 year old kids, think... then why are you here pushing your ignorant views on a daily basis? You walked right into that one... do you not put any thought in to a post before you hit "post reply"?

Michael.Faili said:
My kind should simply be grateful and wipe your arse.

Well you would be the authority... isn't that what you do for a living?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT