ADVERTISEMENT

Hamilton

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
I wonder if Hamilton isn't getting the preseason attention he deserves.

I was re-watching the B1G title game and I had forgotten how many big catches Hamilton made in that game at slot receiver. He beat what had been a well regarded Wisky secondary in every conceivable way -- getting off the line, speed to the post, grabbing the 50-50 balls (one when he was tightly double covered). By the last quarter the Wisky d-backs had given up trying to run with him -- they were just grabbing him and taking the penalties.

Even as a secondary target he'll break the PSU career catch record if he stays healthy.

But if the B1G title game is an indication, Hamilton might be set up for a really big year with Godwin gone. He has size, route running ability, good speed, good hands and more experience than just about anyone in the B1G -- he's been playing with McSorley three years and will know as well as anyone where the holes in the coverage are.

It says something about the depth on this team that Hamilton isn't the most physically talented receiver on the squad -- you'd have to argue about Gesicki, Blacknall, and Charles/Johnson. But on a typical PSU team of the last 20 years Hamilton would be the No. 1 receiver.

It would be nice if he can step up this year. Maybe it was just a product of our offense but, he had 9 games with two or fewer catches. Conversely, Godwin only had 3 games with two or fewer catches.

With all of the talent at the WR position, he's going to have to make every opportunity count. If he does, it will just make the offense that much better.

It would be nice if he can step up this year. Maybe it was just a product of our offense but, he had 9 games with two or fewer catches. Conversely, Godwin only had 3 games with two or fewer catches.

With all of the talent at the WR position, he's going to have to make every opportunity count. If he does, it will just make the offense that much better.

Yeah that has always been a question about him -- seems to disappear against certain teams. But he may have been banged up. Frankin doesn't provide any injury info so you don't know who is operating at 75%.

I was re-watching the B1G title game and I had forgotten how many big catches Hamilton made in that game at slot receiver. He beat what had been a well regarded Wisky secondary in every conceivable way -- getting off the line, speed to the post, grabbing the 50-50 balls (one when he was tightly double covered). By the last quarter the Wisky d-backs had given up trying to run with him -- they were just grabbing him and taking the penalties.

Even as a secondary target he'll break the PSU career catch record if he stays healthy.

But if the B1G title game is an indication, Hamilton might be set up for a really big year with Godwin gone. He has size, route running ability, good speed, good hands and more experience than just about anyone in the B1G -- he's been playing with McSorley three years and will know as well as anyone where the holes in the coverage are.

It says something about the depth on this team that Hamilton isn't the most physically talented receiver on the squad -- you'd have to argue about Gesicki, Blacknall, and Charles/Johnson. But on a typical PSU team of the last 20 years Hamilton would be the No. 1 receiver.

Geez, the guy wins "Best Musical" and that still ain't enough for some peeps.

What now?
Oh.

Wasn't he our leading receiver two years ago? He certainly has the potential. I think Trace just got more confidence in Godwin which is understandable

Reactions: N&B4PSU
He's a good downfield blocker. Just because he isn't getting touches doesn't mean he's not contributing.

He will be on the field.

I remember Hamilton as a recruit that spurned Virginia Tech for Penn State. As I recall his high school is full of Virginia Tech fans and a lot of pressure to go there. Coming to Penn state in the circumstances we were in I will always remember him for that

Good pt. That was right after sanctions and still came to PSU with Hack. He had offers from Miami and MSU as well.

Another reason to root for the guy to have a monster year. Pretty amazing he will be the all time PSU catches leader if he stays healthy.

Reactions: PSU_1991

Several good points.

What really struck me as odd last year was the great game he has versus Wisky and then the disappearance in the Rose Bowl.

Some of that has to do with the QB because if any receiver is not targeted, he will have no catches.

Seemed to me that McSorley was throwing a lot to Thompkins early in that game and then to Godwin later in the game.

Don't know if SC was taking Hamilton away with coverage or the game plan was to go to Thomkins.

I have never been a believer in throwing to lots of receivers just because you happen to have lots of receivers. I would rather see us concentrate on Hamilton, Blacknall and whomever emerges from Charles and Johnson. Let the other of Charles/Johnson, Thompkins and Polk get some rotation and backup time, and be used to run DBs down the field to tire them out, but maintain the rhythm of throwing primarily to the same guys consistently.

The Moorhead offense is based on repetition, and doing the same basic things, over and over and over, until you do it so well, that it not only looks easy, but it can't be stopped. Then, you add in things and repeat the same process, until those things also can't be stopped. It's actually a much more basic offense than it's made out to be. The keys are in the actual pre snap calls, the tempo, and the in play decision making. This is where a player like DaeSean can be of great value. He has so much experience, as does Blacknall and now Thompkins, that he can make those crucial plays that either lead to scores, or become scores on their own. He's one of our offensive leaders, so he has double the value for our offense. Our main target Chris Godwin has moved on, and now we actually have two main targets, of value, in Hamilton and Blacknall. We'll look for that additional guy, from the rest of our receivers, to develop as well this year. We'll be just fine throwing the football, and oh by the way, we have the nations' most dynamic big play tight end, who I didn't even mention until the end of this post.

Reactions: Bob78
Someone needs to develop a drinking game for all the offense this year. Then again bad idea as you will be drunk by end of first quarter. At least you remained sober at the half last year.

Move to the slot with 6-3 guys on the outside and you get more LB blocking assignments. That alone nearly accounts for the drop in the number of catches last year. Sprinkle in a very improved TE....who's production went way up....and 34 catches seems about right.

....We'll be just fine throwing the football, and oh by the way, we have the nations' most dynamic big play tight end, who I didn't even mention until the end of this post.

I think MG's emergence as one of the best pass catching TEs in the country took some balls away from Hamilton. I also think improved OL play should give Trace more time to pick his poison. Good news for Hamilton.

He's a solid possession guy and came up very big in Big 10 title game with some great catches, but lets not get it twisted. He's not a downfield threat and that's ok. He's very experienced and runs good routes, but a bit lead footed. Just wait until we get burners to work out of that slot. Many of our WRs have more talent and speed but he's got tons of valuable experience. Not the talent or ceiling of Blacknall Johnson Irvin or certainly Godwin.

He's a solid possession guy and came up very big in Big 10 title game with some great catches, but lets not get it twisted. He's not a downfield threat and that's ok. He's very experienced and runs good routes, but a bit lead footed. Just wait until we get burners to work out of that slot. Many of our WRs have more talent and speed but he's got tons of valuable experience. Not the talent or ceiling of Blacknall Johnson Irvin or certainly Godwin.

I care far more about running the right route, getting open, and making the catch to move the chains, than I care about flat line speed, when it comes to receivers. In todays' game, everyone is fast, everyone can close down quickly, everyone can turn and run, you need a reliable target that you feel 100 percent confident in. That's Hamilton.

I care far more about running the right route, getting open, and making the catch to move the chains, than I care about flat line speed, when it comes to receivers. In todays' game, everyone is fast, everyone can close down quickly, everyone can turn and run, you need a reliable target that you feel 100 percent confident in. That's Hamilton.

Take Sayeed Blacknall out of that game ...what's the score?
Silly post. All these players diverse skills are important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT