ADVERTISEMENT

Hack's senior year

He's gone. If he finishes strong (or at least doesn't totally fall apart) he will be a sure fire first rounder. He's showing good fire and leadership right now. When he wows them at the combine, he could move to the top half of the first round. Have you seen some of the STIFFS that have gone in the top half of the first round in the last 10 years? Blaine Gabbert anyone?
Most mock drafts have him the third QB choice, second or third round. He could move up with very strong finish, otherwise waiting a year to move to first round may be worth it as there is a big difference in the contract. For example, the difference between #1 and #32 was at least $15M in 2015 and much bigger for a later round.

what I am hearing is BO'B will be taking the USC job, and Hack will join him out there as a graduate transfer.

He's gone. If he finishes strong (or at least doesn't totally fall apart) he will be a sure fire first rounder. He's showing good fire and leadership right now. When he wows them at the combine, he could move to the top half of the first round. Have you seen some of the STIFFS that have gone in the top half of the first round in the last 10 years? Blaine Gabbert anyone?
I think that is something that could hurt him moving forward. Look at the list of guys and very few have panned out and now you are talking about a kid with moderate success in CFB. If I was calling the shots I would find it very difficult to pick a guy in the first round that I was hoping would develop with advanced coaching.

I think that is something that could hurt him moving forward. Look at the list of guys and very few have panned out and now you are talking about a kid with moderate success in CFB. If I was calling the shots I would find it very difficult to pick a guy in the first round that I was hoping would develop with advanced coaching.
and yet the NFL has used 1st round picks, on EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, and Jamis Winston to name a few, who some team thought would develop with advanced coaching.

and yet the NFL has used 1st round picks, on EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, and Jamis Winston to name a few, who some team thought would develop with advanced coaching.
I think all of those guys had a greater level of success at the college level. Geno Smith is his last year at WVU completed 70% of his passes. Threw for over 4,000 yards and had 42 TD passes and only 6 INTS. Hackenberg will not throw for more than 3,000 yards in a season and probably have less than 55 career TD passes. I know stats are only a piece of the puzzle but he doesn't have team success on his resume either. So you have a guy that doesn't have gaudy stats or has shown the ability to win a lot of games. Now you are drafting purely on potential.

I wish him the best in whatever he decides, but at this point I just can't see anyone going above the third round based upon his results.

Are we sure he'd like to play for Flo? Wasn't he a bit unhappy Flo left after his freshman year? He made a commitment to PSU and expected O'Brien to be
his coach for a few years. I don't want to get this an O'Brien thread. We've been
thru those enough. Just from Hack's perspective about his former coach.

I just don't see Hack coming back in 2016. Everything points to him leaving - either for the NFL or for a big time CFB program as a graduate senior, ala Russell Wilson.
Can we stop with the Hack is going to transfer to any CFB program as a graduate senior BS please. Hack may very well leave for the pros next year, but there is a better chance of hell freezing over than him transferring to another college team. Besides, according to many so-called experts on here, he sucks and Franklin should be playing McSorley any way. I will go on the record right now and state that the old adage will apply if Hack turns pro: be careful what you wish for. If he does, the team will NOT be better next year without him.

If he finishes somewhat strong, and he has four games to do it, he will be a first rounder easy or at the very least early second. 6'4" and a gun is what the NFL drools over. As bad as he's supposedly playing,,,,,, he still has 13 TDs and 2 INTs with a lousy line.

Reactions: Louisville JD
I don't "expect" to stay but would not be "shocked" if he did !

No way he returns next year. I'd be stunned if the decision wasn't made before the year started.

No way he returns next year. I'd be stunned if the decision wasn't made before the year started.

Depends on his draft status. If he dominates in his final four games, Hack is definitely leaving. But if he plays like he did @ OSU, that changes alot of scenarios.

There are teams that will take a chance on him regardless. He has the size, intelligence, character and an arm that can make all the throws. I don't see any upside(for him) to his returning to PSU where the prospects might be somewhat improved, but not radically. I hope I am proven wrong.

Reactions: Louisville JD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT