ADVERTISEMENT

Hack's senior year

PSU0622

Aug 22, 2007
I know he played well yesterday but even before this I was hoping to see him return for his senior year. What are the boards thoughts on him coming back? IMO he let this team through some very hard times and although he has played poorly at times he has grown as a leader. I think with the weapons he has coming back he can be deadly next year.

I just don't see Hack coming back in 2016. Everything points to him leaving - either for the NFL or for a big time CFB program as a graduate senior, ala Russell Wilson.

I know he played well yesterday but even before this I was hoping to see him return for his senior year. What are the boards thoughts on him coming back? IMO he let this team through some very hard times and although he has played poorly at times he has grown as a leader. I think with the weapons he has coming back he can be deadly next year.
weapons yes, O line , not so much.
Escape while you still can young man. Will be missed,one of a kind.

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
Still going to have a mediocre (at best) OL in front of him...if he plays lights out the rest of this season, self-preservation might be reason enough to take the money and run.

I just don't see Hack coming back in 2016. Everything points to him leaving - either for the NFL or for a big time CFB program as a graduate senior, ala Russell Wilson.

he is now auditioning. he is going to NFL - why mess with another uncertain situation. BTW - WHERE is that great QB development coach? Saban is the only one in SEC. ACC - not sure who that would be? Big 12 - all dual threat run and shoot types. West Coast = Stanford and USC - maybe. BIG - UMich - but he has his next guys. Most would see Hack as a one year distraction unless they did not have their guy ready. he could wind up worse off.

Maybe, just maybe the OL "is" getting better ???
Interesting, that the former player/commentator from the game said he sees where PSU with Hack/Barkley next year can be the "real deal".

Normally, I would blame Jay but now we have Donovan :)

he is now auditioning. he is going to NFL - why mess with another uncertain situation. BTW - WHERE is that great QB development coach? Saban is the only one in SEC. ACC - not sure who that would be? Big 12 - all dual threat run and shoot types. West Coast = Stanford and USC - maybe. BIG - UMich - but he has his next guys. Most would see Hack as a one year distraction unless they did not have their guy ready. he could wind up worse off.

either for the NFL or for a big time CFB program as a graduate senior, ala Russell Wilson.
I doubt he leaves, but I definitely don't see him leaving for another CFB program. He would have to learn a new set of coaches, system and get familiar with a new set of receivers. I doubt he would be able to find a program with a better set of receivers since his very athletic receivers at PSU will have another year of experience.

Reactions: 81b&w
Is he going to graduate? He'd have to be enrolled in a graduate program that is not offered at Penn State to qualify for a transfer without losing a year of eligibility.

He'd have to be enrolled in a graduate program that is not offered at Penn State to qualify for a transfer

That is the biggest joke in CFB... There are always some loophole or niche course offering that would allow someone to transfer. It's so ridiculous that they should just say anyone who graduates can transfer anywhere.

I see him having an epiphany and coming back to lead this team to the CFP next season. I don't think Hack is motivated by $$$

Reactions: 1 and bmw199
It's all going to depend on his draft evaluation. Nfl teams are probably going to look at the raw talent/ potential and go from there. Hack seems like the type of player that would have a good combine and raise his draft stock. i could see a team taking him as high as the 2nd round as a qb to groom for a few years while playing behind an established starter.

Reactions: flameshockey26
Hack is history. Nothing will convince him to return. Next year at this time he will be a multi millionaire.

His brother comes to campus next year to play soccer. He's really close with his teammates and loves college football. Currently experts are telling him he needs to go back, out of McShay and Kipers top 5 qbs. That gives him a third round grade. He will be back next year to prove he is the best QB in the 2017 draft and be a number 1 pick.

He's done some nice things this year and appears to be improving every week. Another full year will do him a lot of good. The recent record of QBs leaving years on the board is not good. Advisors, including the Mannings, will tell him that.

Reactions: Lionjack99
CFP next season

With the issues on the OL and the ? about DL depth, I don't think the playoffs are possible next year. If Hack comes back, everyone is healthy, and the OL and DL cooperate, I could see a solid top 20 ranking with maybe 2 losses.

Reactions: m48tank
I believe he either stays at PSU and starts grad school there or moves to Duke to do the same. He appeared to have clicked with the Mannings this past summer and I believe they will advise him to complete his college eligibility as they did. Cutcliffe at Duke coached the Mannings. And a masters from Duke is heavy, too. I do not believe the NFL is his #1 priority. His family could, if they haven't already, take out an enormous insurance policy on him for his senior year to protect all from a catastrophic injury.

I believe he either stays at PSU and starts grad school there or moves to Duke to do the same. He appeared to have clicked with the Mannings this past summer and I believe they will advise him to complete his college eligibility as they did. Cutcliffe at Duke coached the Mannings. And a masters from Duke is heavy, too. I do not believe the NFL is his #1 priority. His family could, if they haven't already, take out an enormous insurance policy on him for his senior year to protect all from a catastrophic injury.
Two problems:
1. Rules are that he would have to graduate by the start of next season to be a graduate transfer. He is a true academic junior meaning that is really unlikely. JFs plan is to graduate guys in 3.5 years, means he won't graduate until after next season.
2. The kid freaking loves Penn State and doesn't want to play anywhere else. The notion is effing moronic. His brother will be a scholarship soccer player next year and his other younger brothers have both said in articles that they wanted to follow Christian to penn state also.

Do you really think he's going to transfer to Duke instead of entering the draft? I really don't see it, but I guess stranger things have happened.

It will be kind of interesting to see what happens. IF (the biggest if EVER) the OL plays OK for the next four games and because of that Hack "looks" better to fans. Does he now stay to hope for a "special" year with a decent OL for next year. Or, does he leave for the NFL with nothing left to prove.
Now if the OL reverts to what they have been for MOST of the last two years, then I think he is gone. Because then there is NO hope for a better year next year (maybe a career ending hit). Even if he falls in the draft he will get his shot.

Doesn't he have a loss of value insurance policy? You don't carry those for 2 years do you?

He's almost certainly going the NFL route. He'll get paid to develop his game.

I doubt he leaves, but I definitely don't see him leaving for another CFB program. He would have to learn a new set of coaches, system and get familiar with a new set of receivers. I doubt he would be able to find a program with a better set of receivers since his very athletic receivers at PSU will have another year of experience.
If he transferred, then it would definitely raise some eyebrows. You're right that it would need to be the right situation (I.e., he's guaranteed a starting role in a pro-style system).

I don't buy the Duke malarkey, but there are other programs that could be tempting.

All this is less than 5% odds, imo.

It's possible, but not as likely as the NFL. Do you really think Hack wants to go through this again in 2016 if the NFL committee suggests he not enter the draft?
Holy heck man, you're a paying member, do you not know transfer rules?

I don't know if he's staying at PSU or entering the draft. I hope he stays but I'll be a supporter no matter what he decides. I tend to lean toward him staying. I don't believe for a second that he's transferring. I'm pretty sure he won't graduate until December 2016 so, in addition to the fact that I don't see him wanting to do that, I don't think it's even an option.

Reactions: bmw199
I've read he's leaving no matter what, but if he's only seen as a 3rd rounder at best, does it make sense to leave? I worry about the next QB having the same inept offense to overcome as Hack, and Donovan adjusting after a year plus of failure with the new QB.

Holy heck man, you're a paying member, do you not know transfer rules?
I'll caveat this by saying I'm basing this on recent reports that Hack is on pace to graduate next May. If that happens, then why can't he transfer in a Russell Wilson scenario?

Sadly, paying $15 a month isn't going to make me much of an expert on anything.

I'll caveat this by saying I'm basing this on recent reports that Hack is on pace to graduate next May. If that happens, then why can't he transfer in a Russell Wilson scenario?

Sadly, paying $15 a month isn't going to make me much of an expert on anything.
Well, if he actually graduates this May, then under the rules he could, but I haven't seen it reported he's graduating. It's irrelevant bc he doesn't want to play for an university other than Penn State.

High first round is where the real money is and even if that is projected, it is no guarantee. QB's benefit from being 2 years older than Hack will be next year. A 4th year in college will benefit him immensely. No idea what he will decide but think his value and long term success will be enhanced by staying at PSU next year.

I've read he's leaving no matter what, but if he's only seen as a 3rd rounder at best, does it make sense to leave? I worry about the next QB having the same inept offense to overcome as Hack, and Donovan adjusting after a year plus of failure with the new QB.

When hack completed that 18yd pass across his body on 3rd and 16 to DaeSean Hamilton, he sealed his 1st round selection... Regardless of what pinheads say on a bulletin board or so-called draft gurus, there are probably eight teams that would nail him with their 1st round pick right now... Saturday's performance sealed the deal

My guess. I know nothing. He will play out this season including bowl game. Phone call at appt time to bob, sit down with cjf, talk to aced emit counselor, and then decide with mom and dad. You are an idiot if you think he spends an ounce of time thinking about this now. Idiots respond......go!

When hack completed that 18yd pass across his body on 3rd and 16 to DaeSean Hamilton, he sealed his 1st round selection...
I think the owners and NFL coaches look for far more than this when they are going to spend millions on a Quarterback.

I certainly hope he returns and with the weapons he has returning could have a tremendous senior year, but.... I don't see it happening.

Hack is going to the NFL! No more discussion needed! Yes, he loves Penn State, but he will also love a $3 Million signing bonus!

He's gone. If he finishes strong (or at least doesn't totally fall apart) he will be a sure fire first rounder. He's showing good fire and leadership right now. When he wows them at the combine, he could move to the top half of the first round. Have you seen some of the STIFFS that have gone in the top half of the first round in the last 10 years? Blaine Gabbert anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT