ADVERTISEMENT

Hack in 2018

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
Where will Hack be in 2018? After two seasons with the Jets and not having taken a snap, you have to think his future isn't there. Will somebody else take a look at him?

Practice squad for some team....if he wants it. He should, he needs one more year then he is guaranteed NFL pension. Not bad for never taking a snap.

Practice squad for some team....if he wants it. He should, he needs one more year then he is guaranteed NFL pension. Not bad for never taking a snap.
does practice squad time count toward your NFL pension?

I could be wrong, but I believe you need named to the 45-man for three games to get credit for a season towards the pension. I'm not sure he qualified that first season.

"The National Football League's pension plan provides a benefit credit to its players for each season that they play. Players are vested in the plan after they have played at least three credited seasons.

The NFL's current pension plan applies to players who have had at least one credited season since 1993. Each season credit that a player earns adds a certain amount to his eventual monthly pension payment. Players are credited for a full season if they are on the active roster, injured reserve or physically unable to perform (PUP) list for at least three games during the regular season. Players can begin receiving this monthly pension when they reach age 55." https://www.reference.com/sports-active-lifestyle/nfl-s-pension-plan-work-cd0cb0df8a84005e

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I could be wrong, but I believe you need named to the 45-man for three games to get credit for a season towards the pension. I'm not sure he qualified that first season.

"Active roster" for the sake of the pension is simply being on the team and getting paid at least the NFL minimum salary. That's why being on the IR/NFI count, but being on the practice squad doesn't.

Being on the game day active 45-man roster is relevant for practice squad eligibility.

Where will Hack be in 2018? After two seasons with the Jets and not having taken a snap, you have to think his future isn't there. Will somebody else take a look at him?

Which teams do you think he would receive a better look than what he has had with the NY Jets?
AFC East - Buffalo Maybe
AFC North - None of them maybe compete for a #2 spot (Cleveland Drafted Kizer Last year and presumably draft a QB w/ one of their first 2 picks?
AFC South - None of them
AFC West - Denver supposed to sign a Free Agent, Oakland Maybe
NFC East - None
NFC North - None
NFC South - None
NFC West - Arizona

Some may feel different than I do or maybe I am forgetting people rosters. But basically he may have been on the best team to get a chance to get on the field. Now if you are saying that they are not giving him a chance, that's different, but the fact is you don't get a chance to show it on the field on game day unless you have shown something on the field in practice.

If a coach wants to lose his team, play a player that no one on the team thinks deserves to be out there playing. Not saying that was the case with the Jets, but players would revolt if players are playing that doesn't give a team a chance to be competitive.

So ask yourself why he hasn't been on the field more.

ADVERTISEMENT