ADVERTISEMENT

Hack aticle: It says his accuracy sux! Well, we all knew that. Right?

Love the guy......bad quarterback in nearly every measurable way.
It's hard to measure someone with zero measurables in the NFl other than of course things like HT WT arm strength, which of course those measurables are what the pros look for

Reactions: TheGLOV
when somebody in the Jets organization came out with that quote about him not being able to hit the ocean last year I kind of figured his days were numbered

Reactions: TheGLOV
Where are all the Hack defenders supporting their guy? Crickets and more crickets.

I wish MK wasnt banned or I'd be rubbing it in his face! What always pissed me off was the fact that supporters always blamed Coach Franklin for all of Hack's problems. I don't wish ill will on any Penn State player but the circumstances with this particular one, well it just wasn't right. How fitting was it that Penn State won the BIG title with Hack's back up. Many of us predicted Hack would be out of the League in 3 years, and it looks like the Jets may have a decision to make even sooner.

Where are all the Hack defenders supporting their guy? Crickets and more crickets.

I wish MK wasnt banned or I'd be rubbing it in his face! What always pissed me off was the fact that supporters always blamed Coach Franklin for all of Hack's problems. I don't wish ill will on any Penn State player but the circumstances with this particular one, well it just wasn't right. How fitting was it that Penn State won the BIG title with Hack's back up. Many of us predicted Hack would be out of the League in 3 years, and it looks like the Jets may have a decision to make even sooner.
I was a Hack defender, not that I couldn't see his shortcomings (they were obvious) but because I won't bash any of our players. But that doesn't mean he's going to make it in the NFL.

Reactions: rag195 and bison13
Some people here were saying he was among the best PSU quarterbacks of all time, if not the best.

Trace should have probably started his first year too.

Here's the thing though. They they two guys on the roster that likely aren't NFL starting material. They didn't draft a QB yet settled for a journeyman that isn't much better than last year's disaster of a starting QB.

Here's the thing though. They they two guys on the roster that likely aren't NFL starting material. They didn't draft a QB yet settled for a journeyman that isn't much better than last year's disaster of a starting QB.
they are the Jets

Garbage article written by someone who had their mind made up about Hack as soon as he was drafted. Analysis of pre-game warm ups for a game last year? Seriously? And the banter on here is even worse than the article. Some of you are clearly rooting against him in hopes you can be "right".. well good luck with your quest. I think it'll be interesting to see what being a full time football player for a year can do for him. What is he? 22 now? And i'm guessing the moron who wrote this will have some insider scouting info on how Hack performs in warmups before this coming season's pre-season games.

Where are all the Hack defenders supporting their guy? Crickets and more crickets

Right here. I support Hackenberg because he wore the Blue and White and stuck with Penn State during a tough period. He remains loyal to Penn State. Also, some things regarding his attitude got blown out of proportion. As far as I am concerned, Hackenberg conducted himself well and represented Penn State well. He's a good man.

If Hackenberg lacks the talent to stick in the NFL, I won't hold that against him. No one should. I believe he is doing the best he can (working hard, not slacking). If that's not good enough, it isn't the end of the world for him and certainly isn't the end of the world for any of us. More important is the kind of person he is. He is a Penn Stater through and through. I'm sure he will find his place in this world and will do well. It really doesn't matter if it's in professional football.

Right here and this program will be indebted to him forever. We don't have a relevant program without him. Mauti and Zordich held the team together but it was guys like Hack and Brenneman that kept it moving forward.

How was it fitting that they won with his backup? Two totally different qbs and different O coord. Weak stuff.

Whenever I see or hear his name I keep coming back to...

He thanked Bill O’Brien. He thanked the fans and the media for being there and for challenging him. He thanked quarterback coach Ricky Rahne and former offensive coordinator John Donovan. He thanked the trainers and the sports information directors too.

He did not thank head coach James Franklin.

Then I remember his smug non-answer when Gruden asked him about Franklin on his TV show.

Now, I still wish him well, but I'm no cheerleader.

He was the best Freshman QB PSU ever had, not even a debate about that

PSU has had a bunch of QBs better than him that, because of opportunity, depth charts, etc, didn't even play as Freshmen. Whatever. He was the right guy at the right time. Better to let this topic go and just wish the kid the best.

Reactions: PSUoh90

He thanked Bill O’Brien. He thanked the fans and the media for being there and for challenging him. He thanked quarterback coach Ricky Rahne and former offensive coordinator John Donovan. He thanked the trainers and the sports information directors too.

Then I remember his smug non-answer when Gruden asked him about Franklin on his TV show.

I remain convinced that Hack was told that he was going to have to compete for the job his senior year, and that his skill set was not a great fit for the new offense.

Reactions: Al_Tuna and ram2020

This is so true.

What I always resented was that Coach Franklin always seemed to take the blame for Hack's regression. I'll never forget the game in Baltimore against UMd and Hack thru a five yard screen pass two yards into the ground. When it happened I just shook my head.

It wasnt CJF's fault Hack threw all those incompletions, and that whole time he never once criticized Hack in public when many coaches in the same situation would have. I remember thinking at the time Hack would regret not thanking his coach, it was a big mistake.

Some people here were saying he was among the best PSU quarterbacks of all time, if not the best.
Hack won a few big games for us

Waters would have won at least as many
He may have won more with a poor OL

Here we go again with this crap. STOP it already! Doesn't matter if you are his supporter or basher.. Kid was a Penn Stater through and through! Just wish the kid luck & good health and move on!

I wish everyone would get off this poor kids back! It really pisses me off to see our fans treat one of our former players so poorly. The kids stuck to his commitment when he could have gone anywhere in the country. He had a very good freshman year. I would have loved to see him play for BOB for three seasons. I am pretty sure all the negative comments would not be flying around like they are. For Hack's sake he should have transferred. He was put into a system that did not fit his style. In addition, he played behind probably one of the worst O-lines in Penn St. history. I wish this kid nothing but the best and everyone else on this board should as well. He stuck by Penn State and we should be supportive of him.

I wish everyone would get off this poor kids back! It really pisses me off to see our fans treat one of our former players so poorly. The kids stuck to his commitment when he could have gone anywhere in the country. He had a very good freshman year. I would have loved to see him play for BOB for three seasons. I am pretty sure all the negative comments would not be flying around like they are. For Hack's sake he should have transferred. He was put into a system that did not fit his style. In addition, he played behind probably one of the worst O-lines in Penn St. history. I wish this kid nothing but the best and everyone else on this board should as well. He stuck by Penn State and we should be supportive of him.

Look, its okay to support him and realize he is Penn State through and through and also recognize that he isn't a good quarterback. Love the kid....I really hope he did get something out of Penn State, he gave us his commitment which at the time was A LOT. I will always respect him for that.....but he was a sub-par college QB, he just was. There are plenty of QB's in the country that were better than him, but they did not get their shot because of Hack's 5 star reputation, imagine if one of those kids was your son? Hack was one of the most inaccurate QBs in college football. His mechanics were a mess, he threw the ball flat footed and his receivers(Godwin and A-Rob especially) had to stop their routes and make borderline freakish catches all the time. Slow to recognize a blitz, ineffective moving or anticipating in the pocket, poor decision maker always throwing the deeper more difficult route option than the one that moves the sticks, rarely kept eyes downfield, and woefully inaccurate. On the positive side...tough as nails, took a beating for 2 years, always got up. Trace was better in the Georgia game and ever since, and he is by no means prototypical. Hack seems like a smart good looking kid...he'll bank a couple million from the Jets and start a career and probably do very well for himself...I will root him on, but he is simply not an NFL QB and anyone who suggests he is good enough to be one is a total homer and has an inability to be objective.

Not one to defend Hack but the article quoted a scout who studied Hack for one session of Pre-game warm-ups.

Look, its okay to support him and realize he is Penn State through and through and also recognize that he isn't a good quarterback. Love the kid....I really hope he did get something out of Penn State, he gave us his commitment which at the time was A LOT. I will always respect him for that.....but he was a sub-par college QB, he just was. There are plenty of QB's in the country that were better than him, but they did not get their shot because of Hack's 5 star reputation, imagine if one of those kids was your son? Hack was one of the most inaccurate QBs in college football. His mechanics were a mess, he threw the ball flat footed and his receivers(Godwin and A-Rob especially) had to stop their routes and make borderline freakish catches all the time. Slow to recognize a blitz, ineffective moving or anticipating in the pocket, poor decision maker always throwing the deeper more difficult route option than the one that moves the sticks, rarely kept eyes downfield, and woefully inaccurate. On the positive side...tough as nails, took a beating for 2 years, always got up. Trace was better in the Georgia game and ever since, and he is by no means prototypical. Hack seems like a smart good looking kid...he'll bank a couple million from the Jets and start a career and probably do very well for himself...I will root him on, but he is simply not an NFL QB and anyone who suggests he is good enough to be one is a total homer and has an inability to be objective.

Except the point of the original post and the crappy article was to trash him. 2nd round pick in the draft means someone that matters (must be a homer in the Jets organization) thinks he could be an NFL qb. He took his beating at PSU. Who knows how much that affected his development or if it was so bad that he can't get over the bad habits he developed at PSU? He has the physical tools. He has the mental tools. Not having it all put together by the time he was 20 doesn't mean he won't by the time he's 23, 24, 25.. and those that want to be petty because he didn't thank Franklin publicly, get over yourselves. The kid was back on the PSU sideline last fall during a bye week. I don't think he'd be there if he had some grudge towards Franklin. Funny how two guys that were ripped on so much by PSU fans both have NFL jobs currently..

Except the point of the original post and the crappy article was to trash him. 2nd round pick in the draft means someone that matters (must be a homer in the Jets organization) thinks he could be an NFL qb. He took his beating at PSU. Who knows how much that affected his development or if it was so bad that he can't get over the bad habits he developed at PSU? He has the physical tools. He has the mental tools. Not having it all put together by the time he was 20 doesn't mean he won't by the time he's 23, 24, 25.. and those that want to be petty because he didn't thank Franklin publicly, get over yourselves. The kid was back on the PSU sideline last fall during a bye week. I don't think he'd be there if he had some grudge towards Franklin. Funny how two guys that were ripped on so much by PSU fans both have NFL jobs currently..

I admit, the article is a hit job. I live in NY and Cimmini(jets writer) is a total hack(no pun intended). That said, I don't agree with anything else related to your post. It is not petty for fans to be disappointed he did not thank his head coach, you know what is petty? Thanking everyone in the school from president down through Cafeteria workers and intentionally omitting your head coach. Mind you, a coach that continued to start you and publicly defend you when 95% of other coaches would not have and its not like Franklin's seat wasn't getting warm. Wonder how Brian Kelly would have coddled Hack?

Again, not ripping Hack personally, but this is big boy football. In most D1 programs and certainly the NFL, if you don't perform well you're gone. In his preseason game against the Eagles last year, Hack set records for futility. 11 of 31 for 54 yards and an interception returned 91 yards.....he never played again. I will be amazed if he is in the league in 4 years. And why does everyone talk about "bad habits" developed at Penn State like its an excuse. Whose fault is that? Ricky Rahne and John Donovan? He thanked them in his goodbye speech, should have spit on them I guess. Bad habits are one thing, but throwing screen passes a 100 MPH at a runningbacks ankles is just abhorrent. Great kid, great loyalty to Penn State......bad quarterback. I don't know how anyone can see it any other way honestly. Look at his numbers, watch his film, see what the team did when he left...literally use any discerning evidence possible and tell me how you don't continuously end up at.....Good Kid, tough kid, lousy quarterback.

If he was a 5th round pick the media wouldn't be attacking, but unfortunately he was drafted in the 2nd round. They are really attacking the Jets in these articles. 2nd round picks are supposed to be contributors. CH is the poster child because the Jets overdrafted him. He is still a young player so he ill have every chance to show if he is an NFL player or not.

Reactions: Mudge1026
IMHO Zach Mills was the best freshman QB at Penn State.

I agreed, but then I thought of their supporting casts and the landscape. I have to hand it to CH.

As a side-note, he did A LOT for PSU. But it seems he needs to build/re-build some bridges, regardless of what happens with an NFL roster spot. That he's not in a position to be thanked by all PSU fans is really a shame.

This is so true.

What I always resented was that Coach Franklin always seemed to take the blame for Hack's regression. I'll never forget the game in Baltimore against UMd and Hack thru a five yard screen pass two yards into the ground. When it happened I just shook my head.

It wasnt CJF's fault Hack threw all those incompletions, and that whole time he never once criticized Hack in public when many coaches in the same situation would have. I remember thinking at the time Hack would regret not thanking his coach, it was a big mistake.
Then Franklin fired his long time OC, which tells you all you need to know about the coaching Hack got his last two years. Meanwhile, I've seen Hack on the sidelines for both spring games and a game when the jets had a bye week. So he and CJF must get along just fine.

I admit, the article is a hit job. I live in NY and Cimmini(jets writer) is a total hack(no pun intended). That said, I don't agree with anything else related to your post. It is not petty for fans to be disappointed he did not thank his head coach, you know what is petty? Thanking everyone in the school from president down through Cafeteria workers and intentionally omitting your head coach. Mind you, a coach that continued to start you and publicly defend you when 95% of other coaches would not have and its not like Franklin's seat wasn't getting warm. Wonder how Brian Kelly would have coddled Hack?

Again, not ripping Hack personally, but this is big boy football. In most D1 programs and certainly the NFL, if you don't perform well you're gone. In his preseason game against the Eagles last year, Hack set records for futility. 11 of 31 for 54 yards and an interception returned 91 yards.....he never played again. I will be amazed if he is in the league in 4 years. And why does everyone talk about "bad habits" developed at Penn State like its an excuse. Whose fault is that? Ricky Rahne and John Donovan? He thanked them in his goodbye speech, should have spit on them I guess. Bad habits are one thing, but throwing screen passes a 100 MPH at a runningbacks ankles is just abhorrent. Great kid, great loyalty to Penn State......bad quarterback. I don't know how anyone can see it any other way honestly. Look at his numbers, watch his film, see what the team did when he left...literally use any discerning evidence possible and tell me how you don't continuously end up at.....Good Kid, tough kid, lousy quarterback.

Good post. CH was good his freshman year though. Just didn't progress so much from there.

I figured loyalty kept him off the bench. So the diss on CJF was ugly. Not as ugly as Donovan Smith's IMHO, but it was ugly. I mean, how does a kid who earned so much goodwill at PSU flip the table before he leaves? Seemed so unnecessary.

OK, if that is the case? Is accuracy fixable? Have to believe (as much as we like to joke) that the Jets would NOT have wasted a 2nd round pick on him if they "thought" he had no real shot. PLUS a number of other teams and experts felt he could play given some time in the right system with the right kind of coaching. All that being said, he WAS PSU for some dark years and I wish him well. I hope he can play since he is PSU.
Many of you negative types are STILL waiting for Franklin to have a "signature" win since he clearly has no idea what he is doing. :) You KNOW who you are.

WE ARE, but you're NOT !!!!!

Reactions: doublehaul
The kid threw for over 8300 yards in three years, the last two behind an inexperianced line, which couldnt keep him off his backside. People are saying he cant do this and that, but I remember him making some outstanding throws that won games and showed future promise. If there was a problem with Hack and Franklin,it seems they made their peace. Hack still bleeds blue and white and always will.
As far as the Jets, their GM said in an interview all qbs will be given an equal shot.
Lets see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT