ADVERTISEMENT

Guys in and around State College, who makes a good Italian

BOSCO2

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2002
sandwich? I'm from Reading and I'm used to great sandwiches from V&S and Augie's. I got one from Jimmy John's a month ago when in SC and was not impressed. Please point me in the right direction.

Fraser Street Deli makes a good sandwich, as does...

...CC Peppers if you're outside of downtown.

That said.....IMO, State College is woefully lacking in quality sandwiches/hoagies.

This post was edited on 3/10 1:35 PM by psuguy04

Originally posted by BOSCO2:
sandwich? I'm from Reading and I'm used to great sandwiches from V&S and Augie's. I got one from Jimmy John's a month ago when in SC and was not impressed. Please point me in the right direction.
The only one who could like a Jimmy John's sandwich is a rabbit. They brag that they have the most toppings and they are right. JJ was a one and done for me.

Mama Mia's on College Ave right across the street from Old Main makes a

really good Italian Sandwich. I think it's the best in State College. Really good bread, I think they make their own. It's a real Italian guy and his young wife who own and run the shop. I would highly recommend.

I like the Italian subs at Jersey Mike's. Bread always seems fresh, they slice the meat and cheese as you order.

Re: I'll second the Mama Mia's Sandwich...

its really good but its not as good as what you would get in Reading Terminal Market.
Slightly off topic but anyone else remember The Stage Door Deli?
I always thought they had good Sandwiches.

Vesuvio's on College Ave. was always my go to for Italian Subs.
This was back in the late 1980's so I'm not sure if they're still in business.

The best Italian sandwich I've had in Reading was from V&S. My Dad use to

take us there as kids. They really packed their sandwiches and were just great.

Re: Fraser Street Deli makes a good sandwich, as does...

Originally posted by psuguy04:
...CC Peppers if you're outside of downtown.

That said.....IMO, State College is woefully lacking in quality sandwiches/hoagies.

This post was edited on 3/10 1:35 PM by psuguy04
Agree with cc peppers!!!

Originally posted by psu ironman:
Vesuvio's on College Ave. was always my go to for Italian Subs.
This was back in the late 1980's so I'm not sure if they're still in business.
No they've been gone for awhile but I loved going there for Sandwiches or a slice.
I hate to sound like that "old" guy but INMO the places to eat in State College were better in the 80's
and 90's. Everything today is a chain restaurant of some type.

This post was edited on 3/10 3:57 PM by BBrown

I'll second Fraser Street Deli (not sure about Italian subs tho) **

vb

Mama Mia's replaced Vesuvios **

e4ye4y

This post was edited on 3/10 4:29 PM by nitlion9

V&S and Screpesis in Reading

Screpesis (not sure how to spell it) on Lancaster Ave used to have great sandwiches in the 1960s, not even sure they still exist! But V&S still has great sandwiches

Then you need to stop going to Jersey Mike's and try something else. JM's..

..blows.

Vesuvio's was the best

I agree that Vesuvios was the best for a sub and a slice. They were still there when I graduated in 1993. I can still remember me and some classmates walking out of fluid dynamics mid way through class and going there. When my son started there in 2011, I was disappointed to see that Vesuvio's was no longer there. I'm not sure when they left.

The Italian at CC Peppers with Mayo and Italian dressing has become a staple when I'm in State College.

McClanahans on allen street. they make it just the way you want it. I always go with the spicy Italian. Very good it's less than $4.

How about Penn State Sub Shop on N. Atherton?

Jimmy Johns is a chain run by an anti-gay right-wing wacko. Though my daughter swears by their pork sandwich.

But yes, you have a fairly high standard coming from Reading where there is such a tradition. Is there still a Chubby's? That used to be a great place to get a ham on roll.

Rotelli's is good too on Calder way. Buddy of mine turned us on to it.

Thanks for the input. I'll try a couple next time I'm in town, which

should be soon.

Re: V&S and Screpesis in Reading

Screpesi's still make a solid Italian but an even better ham and cheese on roll with hellmans mayo on one side and butter on the other.

the old Gilbert Associates building is now been converted into an apartment building for college kids. The neighborhood is a little rough but the Screpesi's sandwich shop stands tall.
This post was edited on 3/10 10:10 PM by tgar

Re: I'll second the Mama Mia's Sandwich...

I remember it - had sammies named for screen legends. My GF worked there c.1986.

As for Bradley's, yuck at least for their cheese steaks. Best subs in State College are CC Peppers and Jersey Mikes.

This post was edited on 3/11 9:12 AM by psu1969a

Re: How about Penn State Sub Shop on N. Atherton?

Originally posted by tboyer:
Jimmy Johns is a chain run by an anti-gay right-wing wacko. Though my daughter swears by their pork sandwich.

But yes, you have a fairly high standard coming from Reading where there is such a tradition. Is there still a Chubby's? That used to be a great place to get a ham on roll.
Chubby's now that's a blast from the past, parent's always got Italians and I would go ham on roll. Lived in the northwest section of Reading, loved Sissy's for mushroom cheese steaks.

How the heck does Jersey Mikes keep getting mentioned?

The place is disgusting and no better than Subway.

I agree on the lack of good hoagies in State College. I've been in State College since 1990 and I've never understood what people saw in CC Pepper's. Granted, I haven't tried anything of theirs in about 10 years, so maybe they've improved.

Jersey Mike's doesn't impress me much either. Expensive & bland.

Jimmy John's has good bread, but that's it. Sometimes I'll buy their rolls and make my own at home.

McLanahan's can make a decent hoagie, but their rolls are lacking.

Used to live on Bubba's Breakaway. Vesuvio's had great hoagies, as did V&S which moved into their spot. Will have to try Mama Mia's (also in the same location) for their hoagies.

no more Joegie; are you kidding? it went away the day after Joe was fired!

Re: remembering Sage Door Deli

do not remember this one; anybody remember the Herlocker Sub Shop? It was next door to the Herlocker Restaurant which was next door to McLanahan's.

Bonfatto's isn't good either....you can use the buns as a baseball bat...

...a lot of the time.

When the subs are "on", they're decent....but it's the most wildly inconsistent place I've ever been to.

Stage Door Deli is now Fraser Street Deli and the sandwiches

are named after PSU greats!!

This post was edited on 3/12 8:14 AM by FHSPSU67

Margarita's on Beaver Ave. has for my money the best sandwich, bread and pizza in town.

You cannot beat a V&S Italian with a side of fries!!!

Always get that when I'm in town visiting the folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT