ADVERTISEMENT

Growing grass?

Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
No not that kind. Bought an investment property in the area and the yard needs alot of work. Do you guys think its better to do a major seeding project now or in September? I'm hearing different thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: brupsu
No not kind. Bought an investment property in the area and the yard needs alot of work. Do you guys think its better to do a major seeding project now or in September? I'm hearing different thoughts on this.
the rule of thumb is before the last frost in spring or after the first frost of fall. Now is good but you'll need to water it like crazy. How much? You almost can't water it too much unless it is hilly. Fall is easier but you'd have to have a shitty lawn all summer so doing it now is fine as long as you keep it watered every other day in July and August especially.

September. You will use a lot less water and the new grass won't be subjected to extreme heat as it tries to establish itself. Fall has the benefit of the soil being warm enough to promote germination, while the air is cool enough so as to not dry the soil as fast.

September. You will use a lot less water and the new grass won't be subjected to extreme heat as it tries to establish itself. Fall has the benefit of the soil being warm enough to promote germination, while the air is cool enough so as to not dry the soil as fast.
Agreed...but now is OK if he keeps it watered and for an investment property, may need to flip it or rent it before October. While I agree that fall is the preferred time, now is OK if watered dillegently.

Reactions: royboy and klive
No not kind. Bought an investment property in the area and the yard needs alot of work. Do you guys think its better to do a major seeding project now or in September? I'm hearing different thoughts on this.
September is the best time to seed. Also, if it has 50% weeds or more, it’s better to kill it all and start over.

September is what I was thinking as well. I've already had several 4-5 story 50+ year old pine trees taken down, removed overgrown shrubs, powerwashed the brick, had guys in taking out evasive weeds, vines and small trees. Did sign up for a weed and feed service. Is killing grass and growing over a big project? Have gotten compliments from the neighbors on what I've done so far.

Any of you guys have experience with window replacements? Recommendations? Thats the next project.

Renewal by Anderson makes very good windows but they are not cheap. They have all kind of discounts they can give if you deal with them in person. Do not fall for the flyer ads they send out. They can do a lot better that that. Even have military discount. I just ordered windows and like everything else there is a wait time.
Their service ,if there is a problem, is excellent

If you have a choice, September. With that said, I'm currently redoing the disaster area that is my back yard so it will be interesting to compare with the job I did last fall in the front.

Congrats and prob september

September is what I was thinking as well. I've already had several 4-5 story 50+ year old pine trees taken down, removed overgrown shrubs, powerwashed the brick, had guys in taking out evasive weeds, vines and small trees. Did sign up for a weed and feed service. Is killing grass and growing over a big project? Have gotten compliments from the neighbors on what I've done so far.

Any of you guys have experience with window replacements? Recommendations? Thats the next project.
as to your killing grass issue, it depends how big the yard is, but it can be involved unless you have some equipment to help you out. I'd try at all costs to avoid any form of roundup if you choose to go that route. the active ingredient glyphosate is incredibly harmful to the environment, as well as to the person using it. Instead, consider using straight white vinegar that you can purchase for $2-3/gal at the grocery store. Put it in a sprayer and pick a warm sunny day and spray the shit out of the lawn. The sun and vinegar will kill all grass and weeds in a day or 2 (its non-selective). You may need to do a second application depending on how much grass and weeds are there. Some recommend adding salt to the vinegar which adds to the drying out of the undesirable vegetation, but if you are going to reseed, you'll want to stay away from the salt. The vinegar will wash away in the next rain and you can replant.

Next step would be to remove the dead vegetation which is the hard part. Soil will need to be broken up and raked, then you can re-seed as well as add any natural fertilizers or soil conditioners. If you removed a bunch of pines; it's likely you have acidic soil, so some organic matter may be required. Keep the soil constantly moist while the seed is germinating, but be sure lawn is not puddling. This is the right method to ensure a killer lawn.

Reactions: cment and bytir
Hit it heavy in both spring and fall, things will start looking good in 2022...turfbuilder . If you use the weed control initially you'll ruin your seed. Use weed control summerguard in July and cut the grass short and overseed in fall.

If the property is in and around West Chester then we are within 10 miles of each other. Last year I had a former student turned landscaper aerate and put seed in my back yard. I had done nothing for 19 years and my soil is mostly clay. While some spots didn't take- much of it did. I then tried to hit the bare spots in the Summer and Fall without great results. My take away is now is the right time for our area- I just borrowed the aerator and seeded part of my front yard 2 weeks ago. The grass will pop in late May. Go for it!

Do a soil test, especially since you removed numerous evergreens, which can make soil very acidic. May need lime. Could even work in some finely ground limestone as it will last longer.

Add in an inch or two of compost. Buy compost by truckload from landscape supplier, not bagged stuff from box store. Better and much cheaper.

If not too large add organic fertilizer.....can be expensive but very good. Select seed for sun vs shade.

Plant now, keep it well watered, over seed in fall as needed.

IMO.

PS. Question for experts......always good to put down a thin layer of straw or some form of mulch to keep it dry and prevent erosion. Could one buy blown in cellulose insulation and spread a thin layer? Or would the borax.....or whatever fire resistance treatment they use......be toxic? Would be cheap and easy as you usually get free rent of blower when you buy a certain number of bags. And I would water it down immediately so it doesn’t blow all over the neighborhood by the wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 83wuzme
We gave up on seed in our backyard and are ripping everything out and going sod in the next month or so.

I appreciate all the comments. Going to wait until Sept. to have it worked on by pros. There are a number of reasons and issues that are really going to require some expertise. I did overseed it with tall fescue seeds two weeks ago just to see what might grow.

I appreciate all the comments. Going to wait until Sept. to have it worked on by pros. There are a number of reasons and issues that are really going to require some expertise. I did overseed it with tall fescue seeds two weeks ago just to see what might grow.
Probably wise if you are doing a lot of work with heavy footed construction guys stomping around all summer.

No not that kind. Bought an investment property in the area and the yard needs alot of work. Do you guys think its better to do a major seeding project now or in September? I'm hearing different thoughts on this.

How bad is the lawn? Most lawns can be rehabilitated pretty easily. Weed and feed and crab grass killer will kill the bad stuff allowing the grass to overgrow it. Unfortunately they kill seeds, which you put down already. Still, I wouldn't worry about the new seed. If it hasn't germinated by now it probably won't. Put some lime in the late fall, early winter, and then repeat the weed and feed and crab grass killer in early spring. Actually, if you let the grass grow really high in the fall and then cut, it will reseed itself. As always, don't bag, but always mulch the clippings back into the lawn. It creates topsoil, holds moisture, and returns nutrients to the soil.

Do a soil test, especially since you removed numerous evergreens, which can make soil very acidic. May need lime. Could even work in some finely ground limestone as it will last longer.

Add in an inch or two of compost. Buy compost by truckload from landscape supplier, not bagged stuff from box store. Better and much cheaper.

If not too large add organic fertilizer.....can be expensive but very good. Select seed for sun vs shade.

Plant now, keep it well watered, over seed in fall as needed.

IMO.

PS. Question for experts......always good to put down a thin layer of straw or some form of mulch to keep it dry and prevent erosion. Could one buy blown in cellulose insulation and spread a thin layer? Or would the borax.....or whatever fire resistance treatment they use......be toxic? Would be cheap and easy as you usually get free rent of blower when you buy a certain number of bags. And I would water it down immediately so it doesn’t blow all over the neighborhood by the wind.
Amen to the soil test and compost. If your dirt is poor, there’s no chance of getting a good result.

Also would help what area/state is the investment property located? PA?

The house is in Aston PA.

How bad is the lawn? Most lawns can be rehabilitated pretty easily. Weed and feed and crab grass killer will kill the bad stuff allowing the grass to overgrow it. Unfortunately they kill seeds, which you put down already. Still, I wouldn't worry about the new seed. If it hasn't germinated by now it probably won't. Put some lime in the late fall, early winter, and then repeat the weed and feed and crab grass killer in early spring. Actually, if you let the grass grow really high in the fall and then cut, it will reseed itself. As always, don't bag, but always mulch the clippings back into the lawn. It creates topsoil, holds moisture, and returns nutrients to the soil.

Its in pretty bad shape. The outside was not properly maintained. Property was owned by a widow. Bad soil, tons of holly, roots probably still in the soil, and had pine trees. I spoke to the weed and feed people and we are going to talk in early may to see how things look. Have not treated the yard. Also, there is some Bermuda grass mixed in with tall fescue, so I need to deal with that.

Two notes from this post. If you did sign up for weed / feed service, their weeding applications will crush any of you new grass plantings. Wait until fall and tell them when you are over seeding.

Regarding the windows, stay far away from Renewal by Anderson on a rental property (or any other property). There is a reason that they advertise so much. The are exceedingly overpriced and unfortunately with their wide marketing budget they prey on customers who don't bother to price shop.

Last week of August/first week of September. I don't consider myself an expert, but I've designed and overseen construction for roughly two dozen natural grass athletic facilities (from LL up to collegiate level) and it's much easier in the fall. It's just too hard to maintain moisture in the spring.

Fall is best as you get better root system. "Black Beauty" seed is fabulous. Not too much bluegrass which does not tolerate drought or heat that well. Recommendation: SOD!!

when you get a pro to work on your lawn make sure he's a PSU turfer

Reactions: Delco Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT