ADVERTISEMENT

Grilled Hot Dog...one condiment...Ketchup or Mustard.......

Boiled? Last option for cooking for me.

BTW, I toured a meat packing plant while in high school. If you saw what I saw some of you may never eat a hot dog again.
Grind it all up including insects oh and tuna may be almost as bad

Boiled? Last option for cooking for me.

BTW, I toured a meat packing plant while in high school. If you saw what I saw some of you may never eat a hot dog again.
I hear spice processing plants are the same. Some insects are "okay".

Last edited:
When I found out people hated Ketchup, it was like when I found out people hated Led Zeppelin. At least Chicagoans have a reason for hating Led Zeppelin. That food poisoning incident was probably from a dog drug through the garden.

Some people hate sex and sleep too I guess.

Naked? Mustard only.
images

Fully dressed, still no ketchup, but relish pickles, onions, etc.

shutterstock_150836243.jpg

"If you have taken a trip to Chicago in the past, you have most likely become familiar with the unspoken rule of never placing ketchup on a Chicago-style hot dog. A standard Chicago hot dog can only be embellished with yellow mustard. While this culinary rule may seem unreasonable, we promise it’s based on logic. The conventional recipe for a Chicago-style hot dog includes relish."

Why can't you put ketchup on a Chicago Style Dog

chicago style hot dogs are the best. used to be a little place tucked away between the old and new terminals in O'Hare that you could get a great chicago dog and a bag of BBQ chips. used to eat there all the time between flights.

My ex-wife had the same attitude, particularly regarding mustard. She actually seemed to have a phobia about it.

I used to tell her that a criminal could successfully rob her at mustard point if only he knew the degree of her revulsion for it.
That’s funny. There are people that know me well that would tell you that the angriest they’ve seen me was when I unexpectedly got mustard or mayonnaise on something I ordered. Furious.

Mustard. Hot stuff or stone ground is good. Ketchup should not be placed anywhere close to a hot dog.

Slaw. Ideally, slaw, chili and diced onions.
Add some mustard and you have Carolina style. My fave. That said, only 1 between mustard or ketchup, I gotta go with inglehoffer stone ground. Only 1 outside of mustard or ketchup, it’s Cole slaw.

If it's just one, gotta go mustard. Ideally mustard & onions or mustard & kraut. Even though I'm a big ketchup person, I can only do it on dogs if it's ketchup, mustard, relish, & onions.

Not a big WalMart fan, but their Cuban style mustard is my favorite yellow mustard.

samscubanstyle.JPG
That mustard is about as Cuban as Bob92.

Forgot to ask. Does chili sauce count?

rom

I don't put this on hotdogs, but have mixed horseradish with this to make 'cocktail sauce'.

I made a homemade chili sauce and it was damn good and tastes really good on a grilled Smiths hotdog.

Typically I grill Smith hotdog and have them with ketchup, not a big mustard fan on anything.

There is no bad way to have a hotdog, other than plain. Love Chicago style, or with sauerkraut and mustard. But I also like one with ketchup, mustard, cheese, tomatoes, and cukes or dill pickle on top as well.

Oh, maple syrup and butter goes on scrapple, add sunny side eggs on top. Liver pudding on flap jacks with maple syrup and butter.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Try it before you condemn it. Swiss cheese and strawberry jam. Toast the roll a little and put the jam on it. Melt the swiss on the dog. Monte Cristo dog.

Yea I can eat scrapple right out of the container without heating it up. Plain catsup or syrup All good
I get that it's a fully cooked product. But I need that crusty texture of a good sear or deep fry with a creamy center.

Catsup or ketchup-never for me. Syrup is ok, if it's with pancakes or french toast. I prefer two eggs over easy and use the scrapple to mop up the yolk.

Naked? Mustard only.
images

Fully dressed, still no ketchup, but relish pickles, onions, etc.

shutterstock_150836243.jpg

"If you have taken a trip to Chicago in the past, you have most likely become familiar with the unspoken rule of never placing ketchup on a Chicago-style hot dog. A standard Chicago hot dog can only be embellished with yellow mustard. While this culinary rule may seem unreasonable, we promise it’s based on logic. The conventional recipe for a Chicago-style hot dog includes relish."

Why can't you put ketchup on a Chicago Style Dog

But, sliced tomato is okay? Pffft.

I like ketchup, mustard, and onion on grilled hot dogs. Maybe some sriracha. If a chili dog, I like cheese and onions (like the Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in Beaver County - below). If you go to France or Germany and get a dog (or sausage), you'll only have the mustard option.

the-meal.jpg

Japanese love corn dogs (or, 'Big American Dogs') and like both mustard and ketchup, but usually not together.

Corn-Dogs-II.jpg

Condiments? Adrienne and I don't use those things. But between the two, I prefer deli (brown) mustard--no ketchup.

That’s funny. There are people that know me well that would tell you that the angriest they’ve seen me was when I unexpectedly got mustard or mayonnaise on something I ordered. Furious.
I'm with you 100%. I recently threw a packaged burger out the car window because of mustard, I'm totally against littering, but I was just so pissed.

I like ketchup, but seldom put it on a hot dog. Cheese is great and I like chili dogs. kraut gives it a good taste, but I go lightly on the kraut. I hate mustard or mayonnaise on anything.

I'm with you 100%. I recently threw a packaged burger out the car window because of mustard, I'm totally against littering, but I was just so pissed.
That’s funny. I still have a vivid image of a White Castle bag, wrappers, and burgers flying through the air behind my car after firing the bag out my window once when there was mustard on the burgers. Furious.
And I also hate littering.

• Love
Reactions: odshowtime
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT