ADVERTISEMENT

Grilled Hot Dog...one condiment...Ketchup or Mustard.......

Depends on the mustard. If it's yellow, then rather have ketchup. If it's anything better like a good stone ground, then mustard. Even Grey Poupon would be better than yellow or ketchup.

612MfQaGTuL._SL1109_.jpg

If it's just one, gotta go mustard. Ideally mustard & onions or mustard & kraut. Even though I'm a big ketchup person, I can only do it on dogs if it's ketchup, mustard, relish, & onions.

Not a big WalMart fan, but their Cuban style mustard is my favorite yellow mustard.

samscubanstyle.JPG

Mustard on hot dog.
Mayo on burger if it has tomato (no reason to double up) or ketchup if no tomato available
And obviously ketchup on french fries

Reactions: moonpsu
With all due respect to The Tulip, if the burger has a tomato on it I see no need for more with ketchup and I'm certainly not putting mustard on it. In that case, I have no problem with a little mayo on it. Now if there is no tomato on it ...
1*y7osJCod7cuwE8Y_DjeVtA.png

You can try to reason with The Tulip. I’ll live without the mayo.

I'm ambivalent. Sometimes I eat a finely grilled hot dog with ketchup (or catsup) and onions, but I mostly like german mustard

Reactions: BBrown
Neither if only one condiment, however, with chili and onions, Ketchup to provide a sweet contrast the spiciness of the chili and onions.

I've eaten my way across the globe, up and down the Michelin star rankings, and every mom-and-pop along the way.

The hot dog, on a bun, has two "valleys" -- one on each side of the hot dog running the length of the bun. Down one valley you squeeze a perfect line of spicy mustard, and down the other valley goes a perfect line of spicy ketchup. In between the lines, on top of the hot dog, you spread a layer of finely chopped sweet onion. The sweetness of the ketchup plays off against the sourness of the mustard, and the crunch of the onions serves as the perfect balance for the soft and juicy hot dog.

Now THAT'S how to enjoy the perfect hot dog.

I'd pick mustard if only one is available. But I want mine loaded. Kethup, mustard, diced onions, relish and whatever else ya got.

I've eaten my way across the globe, up and down the Michelin star rankings, and every mom-and-pop along the way.

The hot dog, on a bun, has two "valleys" -- one on each side of the hot dog running the length of the bun. Down one valley you squeeze a perfect line of spicy mustard, and down the other valley goes a perfect line of spicy ketchup. In between the lines, on top of the hot dog, you spread a layer of finely chopped sweet onion. The sweetness of the ketchup plays off against the sourness of the mustard, and the crunch of the onions serves as the perfect balance for the soft and juicy hot dog.

Now THAT'S how to enjoy the perfect hot dog.
If we’re allowing more than one condiment, I’m going with spicey mustard, pickle relish, and sauerkraut. In fairness, Sabrette’s makes a tomato onion sauce for hotdogs reminiscent of my days of grabbing two street vendor dogs and a soda many days when I worked in Philadelphia. It’s pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrucePa
ADVERTISEMENT