ADVERTISEMENT

Grey Cup on ESPN2

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
Edmonton versus Ottawa. Sounds like a soccer game. Lots of noisemakers in the crowd. Ottawa has a player named Nigel. Definitely a different feel from American football.

Edmonton versus Ottawa. Sounds like a soccer game. Lots of noisemakers in the crowd. Ottawa has a player named Nigel. Definitely a different feel from American football.

Eskimos vs Rough Riders. Now if only the NFL would cancel their deal with the CFL- they could expand into Canada (like MLB, NBA, and NHL) and stop the ridiculous games and expansion talk in London. ;)

Eskimos vs Rough Riders. Now if only the NFL would cancel their deal with the CFL- they could expand into Canada (like MLB, NBA, and NHL) and stop the ridiculous games and expansion talk in London. ;)

I always knew Ottawa as the Rough Riders, but they are the Redblacks now. From Wikipedia:

"The Ottawa Rough Riders were a Canadian Football League team based in Ottawa, Ontario, founded in 1876. Formerly one of the oldest and longest lived professional sports teams in North America, the Rough Riders won the Grey Cup championship nine times. Their most dominant era was the 1960s and 1970s, a period in which they won five Grey Cups. The team's fortunes waned in the 1980s and 1990s and they ultimately ceased operations following the 1996 season. Five years later, a new CFL team known as the Ottawa Renegades was founded, though they suspended operations in 2006. The Ottawa Redblacks, who own the Rough Riders intellectual properties, joined the league in 2014."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Rough_Riders

The CFL is low-key compared to the NFL. Edmonton just won the Grey Cup, the CFL's Super Bowl. Two Canadian Mounties walked the Grey Cup down steps in the stadium, past fans, to bring it to the field. Could you imagine two cops doing that with the Vince Lombardi Trophy? They also showed Edmonton's president and CEO. He was sitting in the stands, in the elements. No luxury box. Could you imagine jerry jones sitting in the stands?

I always knew Ottawa as the Rough Riders, but they are the Redblacks now. From Wikipedia:

"The Ottawa Rough Riders were a Canadian Football League team based in Ottawa, Ontario, founded in 1876. Formerly one of the oldest and longest lived professional sports teams in North America, the Rough Riders won the Grey Cup championship nine times. Their most dominant era was the 1960s and 1970s, a period in which they won five Grey Cups. The team's fortunes waned in the 1980s and 1990s and they ultimately ceased operations following the 1996 season. Five years later, a new CFL team known as the Ottawa Renegades was founded, though they suspended operations in 2006. The Ottawa Redblacks, who own the Rough Riders intellectual properties, joined the league in 2014."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Rough_Riders

I didn't know that- thanks. I just always knew them as the Rough Riders (and clearly don't follow the CFL all that closely). ;)

The CFL is low-key compared to the NFL. Edmonton just won the Grey Cup, the CFL's Super Bowl. Two Canadian Mounties walked the Grey Cup down steps in the stadium, past fans, to bring it to the field. Could you imagine two cops doing that with the Vince Lombardi Trophy? They also showed Edmonton's president and CEO. He was sitting in the stands, in the elements. No luxury box. Could you imagine jerry jones sitting in the stands?

Yeah- the CFL isn't near the NFL level of operations but there's some good to that IMO. A lot of the nonsense seen in the NFL isn't as prevalent in the CFL games I've seen. It would be good for owners like Jerry Jones to sit outside in the cold and snow IMO and for the NFL to focus more on its fans than its corporate sponsors.

The old agreement for the NFL/ CFL not to cross the borders has both good and bad fallout. I just can't believe the NFL is seriously considering an expansion team in London because north of the border is off limits. ;)

Funny thing is that from 1930-1996, the CFL had both the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Regina/Saskatchewan Roughriders.

It would be a shame if the NFL ever tried to expand into Canada and I hope it never happens. The history of football there goes back as far as the history in the U.S. The Grey Cup was first awarded in 1909. Nowadays the NFL is more about revenue, entertainment and personalities than it is about competition.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT