ADVERTISEMENT

Great story from Lavar this morning on 2 Pros and a cup of Joe...

NealPaige

Dec 29, 2016
His morning syndicated radio show on FS1 radio...

He said when he got to PSU as a freshman, he wanted to be #10, but his number was already taken. His position coach (?) urged him to take a number that hadn't been canonized, because by the time he was done, every Penn State fan would associate him with HIS number. So he took one # higher and the rest is legend.

So after he went to the NFL with the Redskins, Navorro Bowman started as #18 at PSU. He got kicked off the team twice by Joe (Lavar did his high pitched Joe impersonation), and Lavar took him under his wing before he went back for his junior year. He encouraged NB to recraft his identity, and take #11 and play like #11. The rest is legend.

When Micah Parsons signed with PSU, he met with him and told him there is only one # he can play with...rest is legend.

He finished laughing about #11 McGloin, said he ain't drinking #11 beer that McGloin labeled...he was kidding. And then said the current #11 is a baby Micah, and might be better than all of them. Said he is more explosive and faster than any of them were as true freshmen. LaVar always brings up PSU, what an emissary for the university. Said he'll be in State College for OSU this year, cause he's thinking some things are gonna change.

And then said the current #11 is a baby Micah, and might be better than all of them. Said he is more explosive and faster than any of them were as true freshmen.
I find that hard to believe. That's not a knock on Carter, I just remember the first time I noticed Lavar was during pregame warmups and he was hard to ignore. His physical size and athleticism created a presence about him without even being in a game. He stood out from the crowd despite not even getting meaningful minutes yet. I haven't had the same reaction about a player since except maybe for Barkley, but then again I'm not a season ticket holder that sees the players in person very often.

Reactions: hlstone
I find that hard to believe. That's not a knock on Carter, I just remember the first time I noticed Lavar was during pregame warmups and he was hard to ignore. His physical size and athleticism created a presence about him without even being in a game. He stood out from the crowd despite not even getting meaningful minutes yet. I haven't had the same reaction about a player since except maybe for Barkley, but then again I'm not a season ticket holder that sees the players in person very often.
I was living in Chicago at the time, went to Northwestern to see him play as a freshman...heard all the hype....I was so pissed, Joe started Aaron Gatten ahead of him and he got very little time in the game.

I don't find it hard to believe... Abdul if healthy will be a super star.... like Lavar... who has also watch him in person... Abdul... is the real deal.

Reactions: CVLion
I don't find it hard to believe... Abdul if healthy will be a super star.... like Lavar... who has also watch him in person... Abdul... is the real deal.
Yep, it's easy to see it in Carter. First, he is physically imposing as a freshman already. 2nd the kid has played 2 collegiate games and lead PSU in tackles as a backup to our #1 LB coming into the season in game 2 away at Auburn. On top of leading in tackles, he made some very disrupting plays with closing speed that I haven't seen from other LBs in awhile.

Now he's a true freshman so there are going to be mistakes and inconsistencies at times but that ceiling is crazy high for this guy.

He said when he got to PSU as a freshman, he wanted to be #10, but his number was already taken. His position coach (?) urged him to take a number that hadn't been canonized, because by the time he was done, every Penn State fan would associate him with HIS number. So he took one # higher and the rest is legend.

So after he went to the NFL with the Redskins, Navorro Bowman started as #18 at PSU. He got kicked off the team twice by Joe (Lavar did his high pitched Joe impersonation), and Lavar took him under his wing before he went back for his junior year. He encouraged NB to recraft his identity, and take #11 and play like #11. The rest is legend.

When Micah Parsons signed with PSU, he met with him and told him there is only one # he can play with...rest is legend.

He finished laughing about #11 McGloin, said he ain't drinking #11 beer that McGloin labeled...he was kidding. And then said the current #11 is a baby Micah, and might be better than all of them. Said he is more explosive and faster than any of them were as true freshmen. LaVar always brings up PSU, what an emissary for the university. Said he'll be in State College for OSU this year, cause he's thinking some things are gonna change.
I listen to the show during my drive into work, and I am very impressed with Arrington in terms of his knowledge overall and proud representation of PSU. We got beat up during Sandusky to the point that we need counseling support ever since as alumni. It’s really neat to have guys like Arrington out there or even Franklin as a head coach proudly representing the school and setting a new narrative moving forward.

for me it was Arrington and Courtney Brown, both of them were obviously athletically superior right away

Great story.

Thanks for posting it!

Was at a game his freshman year and he played mostly just special teams. But as soon as he walked onto the field everyone in my section was murmuring to each other....”There’s that Arrington kid. Watch him. He s gonna be great!” It was that obvious.

When he was a sophomore in high school, a Pittsburgh sports guy said watch this kid as he is destined for greatness.

Looking back, only saw a few players that just stood out like he did........him, Mario Lemieux, Bruce Clark, Tyrrell Prior when he was only a sophomore. Amazing how a few are just head and shoulders better than even the best.

Ross Tucker tells a funny story about LaVar - both were in training camp with the Redskins and Ross knew he was competing for one of the last spots on the team.

They were going through drills and the established guys (i.e. LaVar) were kind of going half-speed. Ross had made up his mind that since he was on the cut line, he was going all out until the coaches told him to knock it off.

Drill starts and LaVar says "Tuck, knock it off or there will be problems". Next play Ross goes full speed, fight ensues, Lavar rips Ross's helmet off and with full force swings at his head.

They both laugh about it today, but Ross says he doesn't want to think what would've been the result if someone as strong as LaVar would've connected.

ADVERTISEMENT