ADVERTISEMENT

Gratuitous Corby V Willie Thread

Willie attending a wrestling event:

image.jpg
You misspelled Nelson.

if Willie mentioned on the show, exactly how the injury occurred
It sounded like Corby had the cleaner flipped on its side and was trying to get the bulbs to light by wiggling / replacing them (or something similar).

Willie mentioned the UV light would come on for a few seconds and then turn off.

I don't recall Willie discussing exactly what the true issue / repair action was.

I imagine there may've been some safety mechanism turning it off, if it could sense it wasn't in the correct orientation and making close contact with an even surface to be cleaned.

Reactions: Dogwelder
"We ran that guy off and replaced him with this idiot. "You know,there's a uh,during WWII,uh,you know,where Roosevelt came up with a thing,uh,that uh,you know,was totally different than the,the,it's called,he called it the,you know,the WWII, he had the war-the war production board."

We have some very stupid people calling our shots these days. I guess it goes to show that "Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids"
I guess I am missing the part in those statements where someone would die from following what was said by the idiot in question.

The Sterilaser website does have this on the FAQ:

CAN USING THE STERILASER™ HARM PEOPLE?​

We've designed the Sterilaser™ with safe operation and maintenance in mind. When used as per the Sterilaser Units Operating Instructions and the targeted pathogens will be the only things harmed.​

However, I don't see the instructions and earlier it says this:

IS ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT SAFE?​

Absolutely! Germicidal ultraviolet light is an accepted, safe and reliable way to neutralize unseen organisms, including the tape worms, bacteria, germs and viruses that live and thrive in schools, gyms and offices. Hospitals have safely employed germicidal UV light to sterilize their operating rooms and surgical instruments and many municipalities employ UV light to sterilize their water.​

It may not say on there website to not make direct eye contact.... but that is natural selection on Willie and Corby for looking at the light. Dumb and Dumber-er

I watched the podcast to figure out what the hell happened. My original assumption was that Desanto face mushed them while a liquid solution was on the mats.
The podcast came off like an episode of 'Cheaters'. While you may be 100% in the right, nobody comes off looking good. Having said that, it's difficult to point a finger at someone for neglect, when that person suffered the same injury. Willie's eyes were not recovered yet a few days later.

The Sterilaser website does have this on the FAQ:

CAN USING THE STERILASER™ HARM PEOPLE?​

We've designed the Sterilaser™ with safe operation and maintenance in mind. When used as per the Sterilaser Units Operating Instructions and the targeted pathogens will be the only things harmed.​

However, I don't see the instructions and earlier it says this:

IS ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT SAFE?​

Absolutely! Germicidal ultraviolet light is an accepted, safe and reliable way to neutralize unseen organisms, including the tape worms, bacteria, germs and viruses that live and thrive in schools, gyms and offices. Hospitals have safely employed germicidal UV light to sterilize their operating rooms and surgical instruments and many municipalities employ UV light to sterilize their water.​

giphy.gif

it's difficult to point a finger at someone for neglect, when that person suffered the same injury.
Was Willie truly in charge of the tournament such that Willie profited from running it? Or was he just helping out without material compensation?

Who obtained the mat Sterilasers?
Who was put in control of them to preclude unsafe access?

I can see the potential of someone being sued, even if I don't know the details nor understand the merits.

However, I doubt any suit will be made against manufacturer of Sterilaser. Additionally, Corby suing people in wrestling could be counterproductive to what Corby seems to most enjoy.

The 'fallout' could increase the likelihood of Corby suing someone, but I don't see it happening. He seemed to seeing well enough to engage in the first word episode via comments.

Having said that, it's difficult to point a finger at someone for neglect, when that person suffered the same injury. Willie's eyes were not recovered yet a few days later.
I think this is the crux of the beef. Corby says Willie was just hungover. Willie says he was also injured by the device. His refusal to see a Dr. is totally on-brand, and I don't think we'll necessearily ever find out the "truth" on that. My general reaction to this whole thing, now that its out in the open is IDGAF. I mean, I do about those guys' eyeballs--but definitely not the beef.

No bueno. These devices should have some pretty clear warning labels. It seems it is a problem becoming more common with Covid.

Goggles, I checked out Sterilaser's website and their products do have warning labels. I would highly doubt products that use UV light would not have a warning label for legal purposes. The problem doesn't seem to be the equipment....the problem seems to stem from the f***ing morons not knowing how to use the equipment

(*edit*- there is a warning label on the device Corby is assembling above.)

I don't know any of them personally, but from everything I've seen and read, it seems as if he's falling out with the right people.
For all the people in the sport who he knows/know him/have interacted with: so few, and the specific ones.

I get that Willie can be as subtle as a punch in the mouth and maybe that's an acquired taste (for non PA folks especially) ... but look at the people who reach out to him for help or just to pick his brain. Focusing on the very few fallouts seems backward.

Unless he has a fallout with Shapiro. Then it's f- you Willie.

Goggles, I checked out Sterilaser's website and their products do have warning labels. I would highly doubt products that use UV light would not have a warning label for legal purposes. The problem doesn't seem to be the equipment....the problem seems to stem from the f***ing morons not knowing how to use the equipment

(*edit*- there is a warning label on the device Corby is assembling above.)
The number of times I had to do an interview during an eclipse or signifigant % partial eclipse to warn of the dangers of UV light was pretty high. Same when we looked at the sun through a properly filtered telescope. You explain it and some still don't want to listen. As if they don't believe in Science. Wait :)

The problem with UV lights is you don't realize how fast they will hurt you. It doesn't hurt while you are getting burned, it's after and sometimes many hours later. It is an awful pain.
Yeah. Don’t wash a white car in the sun without sunglasses. It only really hurts afterward! Same as skiing, I guess. Or reading a ~white book in sunlight.

True story: USA's "git r dun" approach to life when facing a difficult challenge (like pulling off a brand new, big NCAA wrestling tourney in a week or what have you) has carried Americans very far in the world. It also has produced and will continue to produce casualties.

True story: USA's "git r dun" approach to life when facing a difficult challenge (like pulling off a brand new, big NCAA wrestling tourney in a week or what have you) has carried Americans very far in the world. It also has produced and will continue to produce casualties.
John Wooden is American, too, and he says “be quick, don’t hurry.” I completely disagree that it is an American trait to things in a stupid way. Completely disagree. Americans do things the smart way. Liberty ships were not built incredibly quickly by being stupid and taking shortcuts.

Say no to self-slander.

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
John Wooden is American, too, and he says “be quick, don’t hurry.” I completely disagree that it is an American trait to things in a stupid way. Completely disagree. Americans do things the smart way. Liberty ships were not built incredibly quickly by being stupid and taking shortcuts.

Say no to self-slander.
On the whole you are right--but with the innate attitiude we generally have as a nation--you are going to ferret out the Darwin Awardees too, IMO. The odds of something like this happening in a place like Japan or Germany, for instance, just seems smaller to me. Cultural differences are a thing.

On the whole you are right--but with the innate attitiude we generally have as a nation--you are going to ferret out the Darwin Awardees too, IMO. The odds of something like this happening in a place like Germany, for instance, just seems smaller to me. Cultural differences are a thing.
Good point about all our dumb American brethren. Hmm. Okay, how about this? We can’t give the dumb of us too much credit for getting things done. I say that most Americans doing great things quickly are the smart ones, and the ones doing dumb things are the dumb ones. Okay, I’m getting nowhere. I just remembered Facebook and Silicon Valley. Smart Americans with no common sense doing great things quickly and overly willing to make mistakes. You win.

Reactions: nerfstate
Good point about all our dumb American brethren. Hmm. Okay, how about this? We can’t give the dumb of us too much credit for getting things done. I say that most Americans doing great things quickly are the smart ones, and the ones doing dumb things are the dumb ones. Okay, I’m getting nowhere. I just remembered Facebook and Silicon Valley. Smart Americans with no common sense doing great things quickly and overly willing to make mistakes. You win.
Lol, Yeah--things that are dumb for self is one thing, and dumb for the world as a whole (yet still profitable) is entirely something else.

Anyway--I never intended to say we as Americans are dumber than other countries. Just that we sometimes try really hard or dangerous things--and as a result, some people are going to make costly mistakes. Germany or Japan probably would never have tried to save Midlands.

I also just did some dime-store reasearch. US workplace deaths are around 14 per million annually. Compared against some older data I found in Europe, that would put us 3rd to last--but ahead of Austria and Portugal

Reactions: Dogwelder
I also just did some dime-store reasearch. US workplace deaths are around 14 per million annually. Compared against some older data I found in Europe, that would put us 3rd to last--but ahead of Austria and Portugal
If you don't go to work, it's hard to get hurt. The majority of Americans are go-getters. Europe not so much

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT