ADVERTISEMENT

Grateful Dead Movie - Comments from Director

mrtailgate

Feb 2, 2005
If you are going to the Dead movie one day screening this week, the director of the movie is also the director of Happy Valley. Interesting that he made the comment in an advance interview supporting the release that he sees parallels in Dead concerts and PSU football games, primarily the idea of attending both to be in the company of people who enjoy attending the same event. A communal gathering.

I'll be wearing my LaJolla PSU Dead shirt at the KOP showing.

If you are going to the Dead movie one day screening this week, the director of the movie is also the director of Happy Valley. Interesting that he made the comment in an advance interview supporting the release that he sees parallels in Dead concerts and PSU football games, primarily the idea of attending both to be in the company of people who enjoy attending the same event. A communal gathering.

sorry but FTG. "Happy Valley" was a sham. I am a huge Deadhead, but I am boycotting this movie.

Finally getting around to watching this on Amazon....great stuff and I love that they broke it down so I can spread it out over a few nights. Last night consisted of streaming the first set of the Dead and Company show from Atlanta and then watching the 3rd episode of this documentary. Nice relaxing night.

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Finally getting around to watching this on Amazon....great stuff and I love that they broke it down so I can spread it out over a few nights. Last night consisted of streaming the first set of the Dead and Company show from Atlanta and then watching the 3rd episode of this documentary. Nice relaxing night.

Sounds good. I was in the car and listened to the Barton Hall show. The second CD is perfection.

Dancing in the Streets
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On the Mountain
Estimated Prophet

Stunning.

If you are going to the Dead movie one day screening this week, the director of the movie is also the director of Happy Valley. Interesting that he made the comment in an advance interview supporting the release that he sees parallels in Dead concerts and PSU football games, primarily the idea of attending both to be in the company of people who enjoy attending the same event.

Definitely. they are both very large cults -- and I mean that in the best sense of the word. They are cults that offer a lot of fun and fellowship and don't ask much of their members other than to just enjoy themselves. I find it interesting that drugs are an important component of both -- weed for the deadheads, beer (and, for some of us, bourbon) for PSU football. The former helps one zone in to the music, the latter helps with the anxiety of watching a big game.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I was in the car and listened to the Barton Hall show. The second CD is perfection.

Dancing in the Streets
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On the Mountain
Estimated Prophet

Stunning.

I have a number of bootlegs/"soundboards" for this show, but these Betty Boards are an amazing mix. That whole week of shows in the box set are breathtaking.

Really enjoyed the documentary series, Long Strange Trip. The last episode was hard to watch, as I don't think most people realized how sick Jerry really was. Quite sad. Loved the coverage on the wall of sound.
Some great times at Dead shows over the years.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

How was the show? Good set list? I'm seeing them in about 10 days at Citi Field. Can't wait. I heard the Boulder shows were very, very good.

How was the show? Good set list? I'm seeing them in about 10 days at Citi Field. Can't wait. I heard the Boulder shows were very, very good.
First set was pretty good. I hadn't really seen much of Dead and Company and I was pleasantly surprised. Scarlet, Shakedown, Tenn Jed and a nice little Dire Wolf. Good stuff over all. I also watched some of the Filmore show which was pretty damn good. It's all out there on youtube...one great thing about this time we live in is you can pretty much see anyone live now from your living room.

Last edited:
First set was pretty good. I hadn't really seen much of Dead and Company and I was pleasantly surprised. Scarlet, Shakedown, Tenn Jed and a nice little Dire Wolf. Good stuff over all. I also watched some of the Filmore show which was pretty damn good. It's all out there on youtube...one great thing about this time we live in is you can pretty much see anyone live now from your living room.

I caught them twice live last year, plus have heard a bunch of their stuff off of archives. org and on XM. They are tight and play well together. Plus they have some new arrangements that seem to work well. From what I see, Mayer really gets this music, and he adds a lot of energy, as does Otiel. Otiel sang China Doll the other night, plus he sits in on drums before space.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT