ADVERTISEMENT

Grantland's Weinreb calls Franklin a BSer....

1. I seriously doubt you think. About anything.
2. If you don't want to hear people, you can always turn down your hearing aid, walk away...or....get this...don't post on this board. No one is forcing you to be here.

I have no problem "hearing" people ---- people are welcome to their opinions and I don't mind hearing them.

However, the faction of folk who loudly and continuously yell "honor Paterno now!!!!!" are, frankly, like a bunch of whiny 2-year-olds demanding they be given candy NOW. Those folk are not helping my school's greater public image.

Like it or not, that's how I view those folk --- and they deserve to be tolerated but marginalized by University leadership until they show more pragmatism.

Hackenberg did well. Of the 18 games Hackenberg has played under Franklin, the Bowl game is among his top 2.

Not even close to as well as he played vs. Wisconsin in 2013 though. I was at both games --- the Wisconsin game is incredibly under-appreciated by our fanbase for how incredible and sharp we looked.

2013 Wisconsin game: Christian Hackenberg 21/30 339 4 0 87.1
2014 Bowl game: Hackenberg finished 34-of-50 for 371 yards and four TDs.

Yes, I can see the large disparity in the quality of play in those two games. "Not even close".

Great strawman, moron. Go play in traffic.
My God man, let's not go here. An individual should be able to discuss their concerns without viewing it as blasphemy.

We are temperamental because of this many shots we've taken in the last four years (and it's not over yet), but we should have great understanding of other's concerns.

Reactions: Hartzie and ram2020
My God man, let's not go here. An individual should be able to discuss their concerns without viewing it as blasphemy.

We are temperamental because of this many shots we've taken in the last four years (and it's not over yet), but we should have great understanding of other's concerns.

Someone who makes the argument that if Franklin doesn't immediately win with this collection of freshman and sophomores along with a bad offensive line it will lead to a 15 year downturn at which point it may be "to late"....and then turns around and claims that they aren't allowed to make any criticisms of the team....

They aren't following any sort of logical consistency and don't deserve any respect.

Coach Franklin knew about "the stress he would be dealing with" ---- shoot, he's getting paid $4MM a year to deal with said "stress." He's in the top 0.01% of America in terms of the yearly compensation he is getting. All to coach football.

Let's not act like this guy is a single Mom trying to support 3 kids on $35K a year. That is "stress."

It's perfectly legitimate to criticize Franklin for Hackenberg's implosion since Franklin has arrived in town. In November 2013, Hackenberg was passing for 4 TDs and 350 yards and beating Top 20 teams on the road while looking absolutely spectacular doing so. Now, Hackenberg can't complete a damn screen pass.

Sorry about the "stress" I am creating for Franklin by pointing out the regression --- and how the primary difference between November 2013 and now is Franklin.
In November, 2013 Hackenberg was playing behind 3 NFL caliber lineman and was completing passes to Allen Robinson. I really don't care about whatever level of "stress" Franklin is under; that goes with the job. However, the constant refusal to acknowledge the circumstances that prevail by you and others is uninformed, getting stale and appears to be reflective of an anti-Franklin bias. The fact that the player limitations were lifted last year, doesn't mean that overnight the roster will be filled with 85 quality players with a minimum of 2 or 3 years in the program. A classic example was Bob Flounders' question at Tuesday's presser about whether Franklin was "too reliant" on freshmen RBs to which he responded "that's all we have unless you have any eligibility left". Given that freshman or true freshmen skill players often can contribute in their first year (and obviously Barkely is critical to the program at this juncture) give some thought to how this impacts the other positions on the team, especially the OL (which was ignored by O'Brien). Franklin needs at least 3 and probably 4 years before an honest assessment of him can be made. The guy did have two 9-3 seasons at Vandy in case you forgot.

Great strawman, moron. Go play in traffic.

Okay, the old "go play in traffic." Could have predicted you'd begin to pound the table.
Someone who makes the argument that if Franklin doesn't immediately win with this collection of freshman and sophomores along with a bad offensive line it will lead to a 15 year downturn at which point it may be "to late"....and then turns around and claims that they aren't allowed to make any criticisms of the team....

They aren't following any sort of logical consistency and don't deserve any respect.

That is just a patently false characterization of what I said. I support Franklin and have found myself guilty of having a "win now" mentality and that I need to give it a rest. I just don't get this honestly. There is a thread on this board that discusses how pivotal this game is for this team, why don't you go over there and call them whiners. And honestly, I don't want your respect frankly, someone who pounds the table and says "Go play in traffic" is not someone I demand respect from. If you want to be critical of something I said fine, I will admit that I may have exaggerated when I said "if everyone turns negative in happy valley, then it could talk 15 years for the program to look like old," then fine. Tell me you think that one singular line was a bit over the top and I will probably agree, but don't just call me a pitt troll and tell me to play in traffic. I care deeply about this program and team in ways you'll never know.

Reactions: Hartzie

Thank you, concern is all it was. Not negativity or god forbid trolling.

That is just a patently false characterization of what I said.

"I think he knows that keeping happy valley positive for the next few years otherwise it will be another 15 years until it starts to look like old again, and it may be to late by then."

I think he suspects a little bit of what we all do. I don't appreciate this article, but honestly, I see the viewpoint. I said it in another thread, this program is hanging by a thread, and this new administration is not helping. Franklin is BS'ing, and I understand why, he knows if this thing gets real negative it could all unravel. From the players psyches(Hack) to recruits bailing(Sanders/hill), to the program loosing money(think 85k at these games moving forward) I'm beginning to think Franklin's task is far greater than O'brien's was. Everyone associated with the program was desperately clutching to the program and players and felt we had been wronged, but that emotional zeal has sort of run its course and now we just want to go back to winning. I'm guilty of it, we're all guilty of it, but we need to be honest here. This program went through a nuclear air raid meant specifically to bring the program to its knees. It was orchestrated by the media, our own administration, and the NCAA and maybe let's all admit we thought we were out of the wood when the sanctions were dropped. One look at our O-line and watching a CJF presser and its pretty obvious we were just in the eye of the storm for a bit. I don't think Franklin is directly disingenuous or diluted, I think he knows that keeping happy valley positive for the next few years otherwise it will be another 15 years until it starts to look like old again, and it may be to late by then.

Did I miss something cause I'm pretty sure I'd remember if Sanders and Hill have bailed.

"I think he knows that keeping happy valley positive for the next few years otherwise it will be another 15 years until it starts to look like old again, and it may be to late by then."

IF THINGS TURN NEGATIVE!!!! Not saying it is going to happen, that I am forecasting it to happen, that I am wishing it happens. I was supporting and saying that I understand why he is staying up beat and positive. I am not saying we are going to go down the sh*tter guys, I am saying that if our head coach does not stay positive and BS a little bit, then the program could become negative and that could have far reaching implications. It is a hypothetical. Was it unnecessary for my to write it? Maybe, but it doesn't make me a whiner or an undeserving fan. Christ.

Reactions: Hartzie
I think he suspects a little bit of what we all do. I don't appreciate this article, but honestly, I see the viewpoint. I said it in another thread, this program is hanging by a thread, and this new administration is not helping. Franklin is BS'ing, and I understand why, he knows if this thing gets real negative it could all unravel. From the players psyches(Hack) to recruits bailing(Sanders/hill), to the program loosing money(think 85k at these games moving forward) I'm beginning to think Franklin's task is far greater than O'brien's was. Everyone associated with the program was desperately clutching to the program and players and felt we had been wronged, but that emotional zeal has sort of run its course and now we just want to go back to winning. I'm guilty of it, we're all guilty of it, but we need to be honest here. This program went through a nuclear air raid meant specifically to bring the program to its knees. It was orchestrated by the media, our own administration, and the NCAA and maybe let's all admit we thought we were out of the wood when the sanctions were dropped. One look at our O-line and watching a CJF presser and its pretty obvious we were just in the eye of the storm for a bit. I don't think Franklin is directly disingenuous or diluted, I think he knows that keeping happy valley positive for the next few years otherwise it will be another 15 years until it starts to look like old again, and it may be to late by then.

Franklin has a tougher job when it comes to actual games. OB had a slightly different job. He needed to keep players from transferring. Just look at the recruiting classes. OB inherited the 4 recruiting classes 2008-2011. He recruited 2012 with impending sanctions. Obrien really did not need to play most of the 2012 kids that was a low ranked recruiting class because he had 30+ seniors and a ton of pre sanction players. Franklin on the other hand has to play the kids from 2012, 2013(sanctions) and 2014 that was originally recruited during sanctions. The last 7-8 kids from 2014 were after sanctions were reduced but only Farmer was a 4 star. PSU lost Holley who was the highest ranked kid in that class.

PSU basically lost at least 20 4 star kids from sanctions. YOu don't just coast along as if the sanctions did not happen.

We lost:
Joey Oconner
Cameron Williams
Armani Reeves
Tommy Schutt
Jerron JOnes
JP Holtz
JJ Denman
Jamil Pollard
Will Fuller
Greg Webb
Zach Bradshaw
Ross Douglas
Dorian Johnson
Probably a few that I missed

A bunch of guys that they had a good chance of getting but missed like:

David Williams
Noah Spence
Ryan Sweitzer
Boyd
Drayvon Henry
Monte Nicholson
Julian Odrick

Franklin is doing a great job of recruiting but most players do not come right in and contribute. I think PSU is a 4 star OC away from competing for a national championship in the near future.

Last edited:
Franklin has a tougher job when it comes to actual games. OB had a slightly different job. He needed to keep players from transferring. Just look at the recruiting classes. OB inherited the 4 recruiting classes 2008-2011. He recruited 2012 with impending sanctions. Obrien really did not need to play most of the 2012 kids that was a low ranked recruiting class because he had 30+ seniors and a ton of pre sanction players. Franklin on the other hand has to play the kids from 2012, 2013(sanctions) and 2014 that was originally recruited during sanctions. The last 7-8 kids from 2014 were after sanctions were reduced but only Farmer was a 4 star. PSU lost Holley who was the highest ranked kid in that class.

PSU basically lost at least 20 4 star kids from sanctions. YOu don't just coast along as if the sanctions did not happen.

We lost:
Joey Oconner
Cameron Williams
Armani Reeves
Tommy Schutt
Jerron JOnes
JP Holtz
JJ Denman
Jamil Pollard
Will Fuller
Greg Webb
Zach Bradshaw
Ross Douglas
Dorian Johnson
Probably a few that I missed

A bunch of guys that they had a good chance of getting but missed like:

David Williams
Noah Spence
Julian Odrick

Franklin is doing a great job of recruiting but most players do not come right in and contribute. I think PSU is a 4 star OC away from competing for a national championship in the near future.

That was an excellent post. Well done.

Why do we pay attention to writers like this? We can't change the past. We have to live in the moment which is now. Plus, who said that Hill and Sanders De-comitted? Franklin has not had enough time to establish the program. At the end of next year if we are still playing conservative, then we know it is coaching. I think it was coaching that lost the Temple game-not prepared whatsoever.

Why do we pay attention to writers like this? We can't change the past. We have to live in the moment which is now. Plus, who said that Hill and Sanders De-comitted? Franklin has not had enough time to establish the program. At the end of next year if we are still playing conservative, then we know it is coaching. I think it was coaching that lost the Temple game-not prepared whatsoever.

JF already said they plan on playing conservative to eliminate turnovers. Does it do PSU any good to open it up if we turn the ball over?

Do you really think we have the OL and QB to open things up?

Last edited:
JF already said they plan on playing conservative to eliminate turnovers. Does it do PSU any good to open it up if we turn the ball over?

Do you really think we have the OL and QB making good decisions to open things up?
Again, CJF is subscribing to a page out of JVP's coaching manual. Many fans don't like it now and didn't like when Joe called it that way, but he sees it as the teams best chance of being successful. I'm still disappointed that the PSU O, even with injuries, could not score more on Army.

Again, CJF is subscribing to a page out of JVP's coaching manual. Many fans don't like it now and didn't like when Joe called it that way, but he sees it as the teams best chance of being successful. I'm still disappointed that the PSU O, even with injuries, could not score more on Army.

Joe was conservative by nature. I think Franklin would love to open it up at some point. This current team will turn the ball over if we open it up. We don't have the OL that gives the QB time to make good decisions.

Joe was conservative by nature. I think Franklin would love to open it up at some point. This current team will turn the ball over if we open it up. We don't have the OL that gives the QB time to make good decisions.
True. Joe knew a few times that he had something really good. Of course, 1994. I love 1982 - 197 yards passing/game & 190 yards rushing/game. Lastly, 2005 with Michael Robinson at the helm they opened it up too. 208 yards/game passing & 212 yards/game rushing. That's beautiful.

JF will open it up after Hack goes to the NFL and the OL of the future are on the field.

I look at at college football team with 120 players as two squads. There is A squad that is ready to play/need to play and then there B squad that is getting ready to play in the future.

Obrien inherited the veteran A squad that was in place BEFORE sanctions. His getting ready to play B squad was the group that was hit with sanctions. With Franklin it is the opposite. Franklin's A squad was hammered by sanctions and his B squad that will be ready in the near future is filled with studs.

The current team probably has about 15 starters who were recruited during sanctions. It will take a little time before we can open it up but it will come.

JF will open it up after Hack goes to the NFL and the OL of the future are on the field.

I look at at college football team with 120 players as two squads. There is A squad that is ready to play/need to play and then there B squad that is getting ready to play in the future.

Obrien inherited the veteran A squad that was in place BEFORE sanctions. His getting ready to play B squad was the group that was hit with sanctions. With Franklin it is the opposite. Franklin's A squad was hammered by sanctions and his B squad that will be ready in the near future is filled with studs.

The current team probably has about 15 starters who were recruited during sanctions. It will take a little time before we can open it up but it will come.

Again another really good post and remind me of this when I go off on the coaches. LOL. Maybe after sat.
I know everyone wants to compare what OB did to what Franklin is doing, especially with Hack, but like you pointed out in this post and the other its not valid comparison.
And even some of these guys that were recruited during the sanctions might not have been the 1A choice.
We are also extremely lucky that Nassib has turned out to be as good as he is, same with Julius. But not so much
with the punting unit.

IF THINGS TURN NEGATIVE!!!! Not saying it is going to happen, that I am forecasting it to happen, that I am wishing it happens. I was supporting and saying that I understand why he is staying up beat and positive. I am not saying we are going to go down the sh*tter guys, I am saying that if our head coach does not stay positive and BS a little bit, then the program could become negative and that could have far reaching implications. It is a hypothetical. Was it unnecessary for my to write it? Maybe, but it doesn't make me a whiner or an undeserving fan. Christ.
Some board members have pretty poor reading comprehension. Thanks for clarifying for them. While I may not agree with EVERYTHING you said, you certainly make some valid points.

Some board members have pretty poor reading comprehension. Thanks for clarifying for them. While I may not agree with EVERYTHING you said, you certainly make some valid points.

Thank you, I certainly don't want the board to agree with all of my viewpoints, this board would suck if that was the case! I just don't want to be called a troll and unworthy of being a fan of this team because I'm trying to have honest dialogue.

ADVERTISEMENT