ADVERTISEMENT

Got to see NCAA lacrosse last weekend

c1976

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2007
I had the opportunity to visit our nephew last weekend at UVA. He’s a freshman on the lacrosse team and they played Duke Thursday then Utah Saturday. My first live sports since the fall of 2019 and I realized again how enjoyable it is. They lost to Duke 13-12 in OT then handled Utah easily. It’s exciting for us because he’s been seeing the field a lot and I was just texted that he is starting Saturday in the season finale against Syracuse. I understand he’s a strong candidate for freshman academic AA He really loves PSU but just couldn’t get an offer which was unfortunate. UVA is a beautiful place and certainly a great university. Their stadium holds about 7-8000 but was limited to 600. There was a big T & F invitational adjacent to the stadium with ACC teams and others. It was very nice to see all the young athletes in action. May Covid get behind us so that fans can freely attend sporting events at all levels.

I had the opportunity to visit our nephew last weekend at UVA. He’s a freshman on the lacrosse team and they played Duke Thursday then Utah Saturday. My first live sports since the fall of 2019 and I realized again how enjoyable it is. They lost to Duke 13-12 in OT then handled Utah easily. It’s exciting for us because he’s been seeing the field a lot and I was just texted that he is starting Saturday in the season finale against Syracuse. I understand he’s a strong candidate for freshman academic AA He really loves PSU but just couldn’t get an offer which was unfortunate. UVA is a beautiful place and certainly a great university. Their stadium holds about 7-8000 but was limited to 600. There was a big T & F invitational adjacent to the stadium with ACC teams and others. It was very nice to see all the young athletes in action. May Covid get behind us so that fans can freely attend sporting events at all levels.
How were the hot dogs?

Trivia. Utah lacrosse is coached by one of Sandy’s HS classmates.

Only 600 in attendance? Was it a lax atmosphere?

Your nephew is a freshman at UVA and almost starting, and did not get an offer to play at Penn State? That’s not good recruiting on Penn State’s part and it sounds like Glenn Thiel is still the coach.

Your nephew is a freshman at UVA and almost starting, and did not get an offer to play at Penn State? That’s not good recruiting on Penn State’s part and it sounds like Glenn Thiel is still the coach.
I thought the same

California kid and we just don’t recruit there or maybe specifically even take kids from there. He camped in the east and I sent his films to the coaches but others on here and the talk at camps was that PSU doesn’t take CA kids. I can’t speak if that’s accurate. He had Ivy offers as well as ND, Hopkins, Denver and others. PSU would have been a dream offer. He’s probably a bit unusual in lacrosse at 6’7 and 225 and maybe that wasn’t a fit for us. His first love is basketball but lacrosse offers were better in terms of quality of education.
Didn’t eat any hot dogs but his father did. I guess ok. Oddly the peanuts were awful which is odd in a state that at least in the past was noted for that item.

Reactions: sluggo72
California kid and we just don’t recruit there or maybe specifically even take kids from there. He camped in the east and I sent his films to the coaches but others on here and the talk at camps was that PSU doesn’t take CA kids. I can’t speak if that’s accurate. He had Ivy offers as well as ND, Hopkins, Denver and others. PSU would have been a dream offer. He’s probably a bit unusual in lacrosse at 6’7 and 225 and maybe that wasn’t a fit for us. His first love is basketball but lacrosse offers were better in terms of quality of education.
Didn’t eat any hot dogs but his father did. I guess ok. Oddly the peanuts were awful which is odd in a state that at least in the past was noted for that item.
Yeah, 6-7 is difficult for some of lax coaches to figure out. Except at Denver. Tambroni likes his guys about 5-10 and from LI.

Some of the better lacrosse is now being played around La Jolla now. CA will likely come into play for PSU lacrosse like FL and TX is starting to for football.

California kid and we just don’t recruit there or maybe specifically even take kids from there.

Some of the better lacrosse is now being played around La Jolla now. CA will likely come into play for PSU lacrosse like FL and TX is starting to for football.

@c1976 -- cue up that Dylan song, For The Times They Are A Changin. Sorry it didn't happen in time for your nephew.

Great to see this and I’m sure we will see more. Two years ago we went to Torrey Pines and the San Diego area. At night we saw many many fields lit with lacrosse practices or games underway.
So in a bit of craziness our nephew Cole has been approached by the UVA head basketball coach about playing and he’s agreed to walk on. I’m not sure how this will work because he’s planning on playing lacrosse as well. There is some seasonal overlap. I’ll be with him on vacation in about 6 weeks. I’m curious. He also was named an academic All American last week. Good young man blessed with talent, maturity and drive.

ADVERTISEMENT