ADVERTISEMENT

Good Mark Hall interview post Nolf match

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Mark Hall,

come-to-penn-state-o.gif

Reactions: jtothemfp

I totally agree. I came away very impressed with this young man. I knew he was a great wrestler, but he is articulate, extremely introspective and complimentary towards his opponent. Very, very impressed!
Yup - a lot of respect for his fellow competitors and no faux tough guy stuff (even though he's clearly a badass). There are a lot of college wrestlers who could learn from his example.

Nolf is gonna be special I love this kid, I've said it before from watching him he has nico's motor with DT talent...he's gonna be amazing to watch..this tourney has nothing on Nolf, he has no freestyle experience to match Hall but in a folkstyle match lookout..his motor will kill anyone at 157 except imart that's his only comp next year..imo he'll be in the finals. next years lineup has the potential of having 6-8 finalist imo...heard it hear first

Reactions: therod
Wow, he is most likely to take a grey shirt. Does that mean his first college season will most likely be 2017/2018? He is going to be a beast in 2 years as a freshman.

Wow, he is most likely to take a grey shirt. Does that mean his first college season will most likely be 2017/2018? He is going to be a beast in 2 years as a freshman.

Taking a greyshirt sounds like he's going Ivy. A greyshirt at a non Ivy school doesn't really work, unless he means he will go to the OTC for a year.

A grey shirt at a non-Ivy works fine. See Gary Dinmore.

I would guess he is thinking about a grey shirt in lieu of an Olympic RS. And he will still have 5 to wrestle 4 (actually 6 because he could take an Olympic RS in 2020).

On a side note, if it comes to pass we'll have another round age controversy to debate on the boards. He will be 21 by the end of the second month of his TRUE freshman season. Normally, I'd say what's the point as he is ready for college now. But it sounds like he's got he's sights on an Junior World Gold, so if he doesn't get it this year and this is the goal, go for it. College will always be waiting and paid for.

A grey shirt at a non-Ivy works fine. See Gary Dinmore.

I would guess he is thinking about a grey shirt in lieu of an Olympic RS. And he will still have 5 to wrestle 4 (actually 6 because he could take an Olympic RS in 2020).

On a side note, if it comes to pass we'll have another round age controversy to debate on the boards. He will be 21 by the end of the second month of his TRUE freshman season. Normally, I'd say what's the point as he is ready for college now. But it sounds like he's got he's sights on an Junior World Gold, so if he doesn't get it this year and this is the goal, go for it. College will always be waiting and paid for.
5 to wrestle 4 starts after high school graduation not after a greyshirt. Any greyshirt, just like a non olympic redshirt, would be part of that 5. Your scenario suggests an extra year he won't have. He will have the olympic red shirt option to stretch his 5 to 6.

5 to wrestle 4 starts after high school graduation not after a greyshirt. Any greyshirt, just like a non olympic redshirt, would be part of that 5. Your scenario suggests an extra year he won't have. He will have the olympic red shirt option to stretch his 5 to 6.

I don't believe this is true, maybe I'm wrong. If you deferred enrollment until January of 2015 (you graduated in 2014), you would be considered part of the 2015 class and then have 5 years to wrestle 4 starting in 2015-16. This is the path that Dinmore is following. I believe he will be considered a true freshman this upcoming season by the NCAA.

I could be wrong about this, but this is correct in football and I believe in wrestling also.

Reactions: obrats
I don't believe this is true, maybe I'm wrong. If you deferred enrollment until January of 2015 (you graduated in 2014), you would be considered part of the 2015 class and then have 5 years to wrestle 4 starting in 2015-16. This is the path that Dinmore is following. I believe he will be considered a true freshman this upcoming season by the NCAA.

I could be wrong about this, but this is correct in football and I believe in wrestling also.

You are partly right and partly wrong. The 5 year clock doesn't start until after you enroll FULL time in college so you are correct that it does not start right after high school. It works great for football as that is a fall sport. However, if you enroll full time in January as you stated then wrestling season is going on and you would have to use your redshirt. season. I believe what Dinmore did was not enroll at all in the fall and then part time in the spring which is why he is still not listed on the roster. He can, however, work out with the NLWC and with the Penn State wrestlers, just not at official practices.

You are partly right and partly wrong. The 5 year clock doesn't start until after you enroll FULL time in college so you are correct that it does not start right after high school. It works great for football as that is a fall sport. However, if you enroll full time in January as you stated then wrestling season is going on and you would have to use your redshirt. season. I believe what Dinmore did was not enroll at all in the fall and then part time in the spring which is why he is still not listed on the roster. He can, however, work out with the NLWC and with the Penn State wrestlers, just not at official practices.

Yes, you are correct - I meant to add the part-time piece of this. In fact, you can be part-time in the fall also - I believe you have 12 months to defer full-time enrollment at a D1 institution before clock starts ticking sans exceptions (military service, missions, etc.)

Taking a greyshirt sounds like he's going Ivy. A greyshirt at a non Ivy school doesn't really work, unless he means he will go to the OTC for a year.
Works fine Villareal Signed to asu in 2014 and will be considered a true freshman this upcoming season after taking a grey shirt

Agree with those putting Hall in the "Class Act" catagory. He appears to be the real deal both as an athlete and a young man! I would absolutely love to see him as a Nittany Lion and if that doesn't happen I will still be a fan.....most of the time!!;)

Yes, you are correct - I meant to add the part-time piece of this. In fact, you can be part-time in the fall also - I believe you have 12 months to defer full-time enrollment at a D1 institution before clock starts ticking sans exceptions (military service, missions, etc.)

Dice, the 12-month deferment is indeed the rule...
Ahhh, this is fun. If you want tied up in knots, just read the Rulebook...

14.2.1 Five-Year Rule. A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar
years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum
full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official religious
missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted.

14.2.1.1 Determining the Start of the Five-Year Period. For purposes of starting the count of time under the five-year rule, a student-athlete shall be considered registered at a collegiate institution (domestic or foreign; see Bylaw 14.02.4) when the student-athlete initially registers in a regular term (semester or quarter) of an academic year for a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the institution, and attends the student’s first day of classes for that term.

THIS WAS THE EXTENT OF THE LANGUAGE MANY MOONS AGO, AND WE OCCASSIONALLY SAW THE 28 YEAR OLD FRESHMAN COMPETE. THAT "HOLE" WAS LAST PLUGGED IN THE MID-1990's, I BELIEVE, AND MAYBE PRIOR TO THAT, WITH THE FOLLOWING LANGUAGE...

14.2.3.2 Delayed Enrollment—Seasons of Competition.
14.2.3.2.1 Sports Other Than Men’s Ice Hockey, Skiing and Tennis.
In sports other than men’s ice hockey, skiing and tennis, a student-athlete who does not enroll in a collegiate institution as a full-time student in a regular academic term during a one-year time period after his or her high school graduation date or the graduation date of his or her class (as determined by the first year of high school enrollment or the international equivalent as specified in the NCAA Guide to International Academic Standards for Athletics Eligibility and based on the prescribed educational path in the student-athlete’s country), whichever occurs earlier, shall be subject to the following:

(a) The student-athlete shall be charged with a season of intercollegiate eligibility for each calendar year after the one-year time period (the next opportunity to enroll after one calendar year has elapsed) and prior to full-time collegiate enrollment during which the student-athlete has participated in organized competition per Bylaw 14.02.11.
(b) After the one-year time period, if the student-athlete has engaged in competition per Bylaw 14.02.11, on matriculation at the certifying institution, the student-athlete must fulfill an academic year in residence before being eligible to represent the institution in intercollegiate competition.

I love the NCAA rules. Every time read them I flash back to the Exorcist and my head starts spinning around. :rolleyes:

Reactions: therod
I love the NCAA rules. Every time read them I flash back to the Exorcist and my head starts spinning around. :rolleyes:
That is known as "Emmert mode."

Hall grayshirting would be a huge bonus for us. It would free up 2016 money for other priorities. If he grayshirts and then redshirts, Mouse will have graduated.

As long as he never sees a tanshirt ...

That is known as "Emmert mode."

Hall grayshirting would be a huge bonus for us. It would free up 2016 money for other priorities. If he grayshirts and then redshirts, Mouse will have graduated.

As long as he never sees a tanshirt ...

I suspect that if we get Hall that scholarship money will get freed up anyway...

What are our chances of getting hall? I thought we were not one of his 5 official visits.

His 6 finalists are supposedly PSU, Iowa, Okie State, Wisky, Goofers, and Tanning Bed U. Of them, supposedly he plans to take officials at the last 4. Theoretically that leaves one official at either PSU or Iowa.

I don't know how much stock to put into that. He could easily pass on officials to Gooferville (lives within 30 min), Iowa (been there due to friendship with Metcalf) and Wisky (friends at school and on team).

And there's always the question of exactly how "final" his "finalist list" is. If he changed his mind on that list, he'd be far from the first recruit to do so.

I was wrong for at least the 2nd time in my life and I have an ex wife to prove it or vouch for it it depending on perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT