ADVERTISEMENT

Good game Nits.

Anison

Jul 2, 2001
Sorry I didn’t make it here before the game like most years (hope y’all give me a pass for the COVID year anyway). Penn State with the ball down 8 and picking up every 4th down (did we just decide to forget Dotson is a beast?), and I was certain you would score a TD, certain you’d get the 2 pt conversion and certain you’d score again. I just assumed that next score would be 6 and not 3. Ultimately, along with UM’s best offensive playcall of the season, it was settling for that field goal that ended it for you. Ironically enough, settling for 3s instead of getting 6s is how UM lost to MSU a few weeks ago.

A few quick takeaways…
- I was impressed at the different ways you tried to get Dotson in a favorable matchup, and the different ways UM kept trying to take him away. That was a real chess match of formations, pre-snap motion and coverages, and I’m grateful he wasn’t able to get too loose. 9 catches for 61 yards and 0 TDs is better than I could’ve hoped for coming in.

- As brilliant as the fake punt was; what the hell with the fake field goal? That just seemed like a doomed call from the start.

- You got to see first hand that UM’s greatest limitations are a pretty average QB who almost always makes the safest throw (not necessarily the best one available) and often very-bland playcalling. We’re gonna run on first down trying to get 4 yards. We’re going to lineup in jumbo on 4th & short and run to the strength of the formation (speaking of doomed plays from the start). Hassan Haskins uncanny ability to gain so many yards after contact is the only reason this predictable playcalling has had any success.

- On one hand, I know how loud it gets in Beaver Stadium (I’ve visited a few times) but on the other hand I was surprised at how the noise kept us off balance with the false starts throughout. You’d think with a combination of hand claps and silent counts that we would’ve handled it better. Kudos.

- I was surprised not to see more of Noah Cain, but Keyvonte Lee is a good back. Ran hard, made guys miss, showed some good patience. Impressive.

Hope y’all have all been well and your families healthy and safe. Good luck the rest of the way.

Sorry I didn’t make it here before the game like most years (hope y’all give me a pass for the COVID year anyway). Penn State with the ball down 8 and picking up every 4th down (did we just decide to forget Dotson is a beast?), and I was certain you would score a TD, certain you’d get the 2 pt conversion and certain you’d score again. I just assumed that next score would be 6 and not 3. Ultimately, along with UM’s best offensive playcall of the season, it was settling for that field goal that ended it for you. Ironically enough, settling for 3s instead of getting 6s is how UM lost to MSU a few weeks ago.

A few quick takeaways…
- I was impressed at the different ways you tried to get Dotson in a favorable matchup, and the different ways UM kept trying to take him away. That was a real chess match of formations, pre-snap motion and coverages, and I’m grateful he wasn’t able to get too loose. 9 catches for 61 yards and 0 TDs is better than I could’ve hoped for coming in.

- As brilliant as the fake punt was; what the hell with the fake field goal? That just seemed like a doomed call from the start.

- You got to see first hand that UM’s greatest limitations are a pretty average QB who almost always makes the safest throw (not necessarily the best one available) and often very-bland playcalling. We’re gonna run on first down trying to get 4 yards. We’re going to lineup in jumbo on 4th & short and run to the strength of the formation (speaking of doomed plays from the start). Hassan Haskins uncanny ability to gain so many yards after contact is the only reason this predictable playcalling has had any success.

- On one hand, I know how loud it gets in Beaver Stadium (I’ve visited a few times) but on the other hand I was surprised at how the noise kept us off balance with the false starts throughout. You’d think with a combination of hand claps and silent counts that we would’ve handled it better. Kudos.

- I was surprised not to see more of Noah Cain, but Keyvonte Lee is a good back. Ran hard, made guys miss, showed some good patience. Impressive.

Hope y’all have all been well and your families healthy and safe. Good luck the rest of the way.
Anison long time no see -or hear! you must be getting as Old as I am.

After seeing 8 years or so of Harbaugh, do you think this Michigan team is the best you can hope for given his stated desire to return to run heavy, Bo Schembechler era football? I can’t imagine that will attract too many high end skill players.

As an aside, while watching the game I thought that Michigan was turning into the Wisconsin of the East: run centric, a QB that can manage the game and limit mistakes, decent but not great skill players - save for Haskins. If that is the case I don’t see Michigan ever competing with OSU. Maybe the odd win here and there, but mostly you’ll be their Auburn as long as Harbaugh is there.

After seeing 8 years or so of Harbaugh, do you think this Michigan team is the best you can hope for given his stated desire to return to run heavy, Bo Schembechler era football? I can’t imagine that will attract too many high end skill players.

As an aside, while watching the game I thought that Michigan was turning into the Wisconsin of the East: run centric, a QB that can manage the game and limit mistakes, decent but not great skill players - save for Haskins. If that is the case I don’t see Michigan ever competing with OSU. Maybe the odd win here and there, but mostly you’ll be their Auburn as long as Harbaugh is there.
Yep that all sounds about right.
As it stands, unless UM commits itself to a more explosive/modern offense we will be Wisconsin but in the more competitive East. Simply putting the QB in shotgun and pistol but running effectively the same run-between-the-tackles offense isn’t modernizing or changing.

It will be interesting to see what UM does next year with McCarthy, Ronnie Bell (injured in first game of season) returning, a sophomore Andrel Anthony at the other receiver, and two shiftier backs in Corum and Edwards. If he can’t be moved to change things up to fit that personnel than he never will. And we’ll be an East division also-ran for as long as he’s at UM.

He went back to what will save his job. Needed lots of wins even if he loses to Suckeyes.

Reactions: joeaubie21
"Nit": the egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect, especially the egg of a head louse attached to a human hair. Not sure I dig the greeting!

ADVERTISEMENT